3 House Democrats file bill to ban 50 caliber rifles

EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) – Two members of Congress from Texas and one from Florida have filed a bill they say will cut down on drug cartel violence by banning .50-caliber rifles in America.

The Stop Arming Cartels Act of 2024 proposes banning the manufacture, sale, possession, importation or transfer of .50-caliber rifles by civilians in the United States. The legislation filed by Democratic U.S. Reps. Joaquin Castro and Veronica Escobar of Texas, and Maxwell Frost of Florida would require anyone who possesses one such rifle prior to the bill going into effect to register it in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.

The bill also calls for victims of gun violence to be allowed to sue manufacturers and dealers who violate a federal statute known as the Kingpin Act. It establishes an exemption to the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that shields gunmakers from most lawsuits.

Other provisions include mandating gun dealers to report multiple sales of rifles to state and local law enforcement.

Seizure of armor-piercing ammo leads to arrest of alleged trafficker
“When I speak to leaders in Latin America and the Caribbean, their number-one request is for Congress to stop American weapons of war from falling into the hands of the gangs that are destabilizing their countries,” Castro said in a statement. “Especially in Mexico, access to .50-caliber rifles has fundamentally altered the balance of power between criminal organizations and the government and allowed cartels to become virtually untouchable.”

He said cartels have used such rifles to down military helicopters and attack police convoys south of the border.

Texas men conspired to take high-powered gun to Mexico, feds say
Escobar, who represents most of El Paso, said the bill will prevent bloodshed.

“The gun laws championed by Republican legislators in this country make Americans less safe. The consequences don’t just impact our communities, but they also impact our neighbors in Latin America and around the world,” Escobar said. “A refusal to act would mean continuing to arm transnational criminal organizations and cartels that purchase these weapons for illicit acts.

Mexico blames much of the violence inside its borders on U.S.-made guns imported illegally by transnational criminal organizations. The Mexican government is suing major American arms manufacturers in U.S. Federal District court in Massachusetts and a handful of gun shops in Arizona; it says those entities sell guns aware they will end up in the hands of Mexican criminals.

The rifles in question are mostly used by military forces. However, gun enthusiasts in the U.S. also use them and some businesses derive income from the sale of ammunition and tours. Shooting camps feature demonstrations on adequately firing the weapon. Some El Paso sporting goods stores feature .50-caliber rifle and ammunition sales on their websites.
Link to article
I still dont understand thier logic. Someone else does something bad in another country and everyone else here has to pay with lossing some of thier rights.

The drug cartels can obtain anything they want......they've got billions of dollars to work with. They could import anything they want from a large number of countries with ease.
Illegally banning items in the U.S. is not going to resolve the problems with the drug cartels.

If these idiot politicians actually think that the cartels don't already have RPGs, large caliber machineguns and all types of explosives they are crazy.
The cartel higher rank's homes are better guarded than our border is at any point along the way.

Last edited:
Silly people believing politicians are telling you the truth.
They don't care about Mexican cartels killing Mexicans

They know that a 50 cal is highly effective against all body armor and lightly armored vehicles. Therefore it promotes self help actions against tyrants.
And they don't allow self help.

The drug cartels can obtain anything they want......they've got billions of dollars to work with. They could import anything they want from a large number of countries with ease.
Illegally banning items in the U.S. is not going to resolve the problems with the drug cartels.
Isn't this the original premise of Fast and Furious?

The scam to get AWB/large caliber weapons banned...until they got caught and never punished.

Furious

Last edited:

The scam to get AWB/large caliber weapons banned...until they got caught and never punished.
But that was over a decade ago so lost to history - do it again and they can just dismiss and detractors as being stuck on racist Obama hate.

Furious
no in that one Brian O'Conner, back working for the FBI in Los Angeles, teams up with Dominic Toretto to bring down a heroin importer by infiltrating his operation.

Link to article
I still dont understand thier logic. Someone does something bad and everyone else has to pay with losing some of thier rights.
Your post sums up "gun control" perfectly. I took the liberty of editing it to apply to how gun control works here in Massachusetts. It lets the politicians trumpet that they did something about gun violence without really doing anything. As others have said repeatedly gun "bans" mean nothing to criminals.

Silly people believing politicians are telling you the truth.
They don't care about Mexican cartels killing Mexicans

They know that a 50 cal is highly effective against all body armor and lightly armored vehicles. Therefore it promotes self help actions against tyrants.
And they don't allow self help.
This X 1,000

Now what to sell in order to buy a Barrett?

Not sure why anyone even picked this story up.

So three reps, in a GOP controlled house, are going to be filing a bill. Don't even know the specifics but the story is dead there.
They could be filing a bill that says everyone in congress has to wear purple socks on Thursdays....the result will be the same.

This is what reps do....they file bills. Unless it makes it through some committee and the speaker brings it to the floor for a vote nothing happens.
This is the same kind of thing as the $1000 tax on AR-15's. Total non starter

So three reps, in a GOP controlled house, are going to be filing a bill. Don't even know the specifics but the story is dead there.
They could be filing a bill that says everyone in congress has to wear purple socks on Thursdays....the result will be the same.

This is what reps do....they file bills. Unless it makes it through some committee and the speaker brings it to the floor for a vote nothing happens.
Three reps, in a BARELY controlled house with more vacancies than the majority during an election year.

I agree for the moment.
I have no doubt they honestly believe the bull they're spewing, and that it appeals to the people they want support from, but it has been my observation politicians love one thing above all else....to be re-elected.

This lets them go to fund raisers and say "I sponsored a bill that would help curb cartel violence" <- sounds great, right? It also gives them cred in the "I'm more liberal than you crowd" anticipating a change in leadership and being picked for lucrative committee positions (which is where the real money happens).

3 reps, of what looks and sounds like Hispanic background, otherwise barely known nationally, gotta get on leadership's radar.

And let's do though experiment of them getting a bill to the floor. OK, now what...say it even passes. Onto the Senate. Schummer couldn't get the AWB onto the sentate floor for a vote...gotta play "cash for clouture" to end debate, so you only do that for big important stuff.

That said, I would not be surprised to see them try to bury this as an amendment to some funding bill buried in appendix G in fine print.

still dont understand thier logic
really? still do not? that is why you all will lose all the rights you once had, as you still 'do not understand' - or more like refuse to begin to understand - of what they do to you.
not 'want to do' - they are doing it, right now, in real time. with no ways to reverse back what gets done.

You're not wrong, but even so, one day nobody is paying attention and it's 1934 again. Or 1968... 1994...

Sure. Trust the system. It'll work out.

You're not wrong, but even so, one day nobody is paying attention and it's 1934 again. Or 1968... 1994...

Sure. Trust the system. It'll work out.
I Don’t trust the system. I just know which way the political winds blow for the minority party for the time being. Who knows 3 years from now.

It’s my job to get my kids to pay attention when I’m eating pudding watching the price is right at the home.

Last edited:
This reminds me of when reddit showed reallt nasty videos of cartel executions.

There was a video of a Mexican cartel execution of 2 dudes from 30 yards away with a .50 cal.

Link to article
I still dont understand thier logic. Someone else does something bad in another country and everyone else here has to pay with lossing some of thier rights.

Its like banning auto knives because of West Side Story.

Anytime politicians see something which can be used against them, they want to ban it under the guise of saving children and preventing violence.

Back
Top Bottom