1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone Work Comms for Boston Marathon?

Discussion in 'HAM Radio' started by cockpitbob, Apr 14, 2014.

1. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

I've never worked a public service event before and this Monday I'll be in First Aid Tent #14 in Wellesley. That's more than half way through the course so it should see a bit of action.

Being a public service green horn, jumping into one of the biggest events to get my feet wet is a little daunting.

I've got my HT, back-up HT, programming cheat sheets, spare batteries, 18" long antenna, HTs pre-programmed with all the event frequencies, pens and notebook, ear bud adapter and ear buds, speaker mic and a a few other things, but it looks like the no backpacks rule applies to volunteers too, so I'm going to have a very long day without being able to bring a lot of gear. They say fanny packs are OK, but oh, the shame.

Anyone work the Marathon? Got any advice?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. chaser001

chaser001 Member

I will be at the south street parking area in Hopkinton so my truck and spare gear won't be far away. I think the no bag rule will be a learning experience for everyone.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

Clear plastic kid's backpack or a photographer's vest come to mind. I heard that backpacks aren't verboten, just subject to searches.

4. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Being mid-course I suppose I'll be able to park pretty close.

Chaser, is this your first time working the event? What's your assignment?

5. chaser001

chaser001 Member

Yes this is my first time working the marathon. I am asigned to the suth street parking area near the start line.

6. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

I have a feeling we're going to have sore feet Monday night.

BTW, there's after-parties Monday evening at a Boston bar and Fenway, and the Fenway one you can bring a guest(s?). Do you know anything about them? I'm thinking my wife and 2 teenage boys might enjoy the Fenway thing.

7. chaser001

chaser001 Member

yeah I don't know much about them either but my wife and were considering Fenway with our 7 year old since I took the week off and he's on school vacation.

My plan for the day is comfy shoes and plenty of water, though since camelbak's are out I'll have a bunch in a cooler in my truck.

8. OceanTrvlr

OceanTrvlr NES Member

I worked comms at the marathon back in 2001 or 2002. FA station around mile 19 or 20. It was fun. Back then I was all about crossband repeating through my car using 440.

9. OCB

OCB NES Member

I reached out about a month ago to one of the coordinators with some questions and never heard anything back, so I didn't end up signing up. Too bad, looks like it would have been a great learning experience.

10. Jsamps1345

Jsamps1345 Member

I will be at First Aid 01, water and a snack is always a good idea, also a rain jacket or poncho is worth bringing in case of rain. A clear kids backpack is probably a good idea.

11. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

I've read that the field of runners is up about 30% this year from last, and the same for Ham volunteers. I got a broadcast email saying that they have so many Ham volunteers this year for the marathon that they'll have to turn some away.

12. rawlus

rawlus NES Member

Compression socks like Vitalsox I would recommend, good if you're going to be standing all day.

13. wacky_doug

wacky_doug Member

I'm not working the marathon, but I signed up for comms at Run of the Charles. First event for me, too.

I'm sure you've see this already, but here's MMRA's equipment list:

http://www.mmra.org/pubserv/equip2012727.pdf

Post anything you learn!

14. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

OK, that talked me into it. I just spent $20 on a clear backpack from Amazon. Sadly I'm sure in the future I'll be wanting a clear backpack more often. If nothing more, it will speed going through the line at Fenway.

1 person likes this.
  15. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

How will you guys be carrying your HTs? Belt clip, chest pack, in your hand the whole day[thinking] or something else?

16. chaser001

chaser001 Member

I might break down and get a clear bag now. As for the radio I have a cheap chest rig I got on amazon to hold my primary radio, and I had planned on having the backup on my belt, but if I get a bag then that and the spare batteries will go into the bag.

17. FreeWillie

FreeWillie NES Member

I'll be passing by the tent about 3:00 PM. Just about the time you guys start to tear down your operation. No I'm not running. I'll be going the other way (away from Boston). I'll wave as I go by (dark blue Jeep SUV)

Looks like the weather is going to be great. I wish the runners an "easy run". And Thanks for helping the run be a safe and fun run!!

18. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Chanser and Jsamps, I've been reading through the operation's guide and other stuff. It looks like we can't bring backpacks. I bet I could get away with a clear backpack, but there's always a range-nazi type to make an issue.

I also noticed we have a dress code: "All ham volunteers are requested to wear dark blue pants (no jeans or shorts) and white shirts." I can't comply without a trip to the store. I have some brown cargo pants I was going to wear.

19. wacky_doug

wacky_doug Member

Assuming you guys will be on the 2m MMRA repeaters today? I'll be listening if I can get reception in the office.

20. chaser001

chaser001 Member

I had a great time at the south street parking area. Only 2 of the 10 people at my location had ever worked the marathon before and even less had ever worked larger scale logistics so I got to lead on of the parking areas. I had a ton of fun, got a little stressed at point but would definitely do it again. I also moved freely in and out of the secure area with no one ever checking me. Actually at my location I had local pd, state police, and dhs jackboot thugs wearing police in the back of their vests. Those guys were totally useless.

I also also discovered the I don't care for the remora ankle holster for the sig p238 but it does work even when you spend a whole day on your feet.

As for carrying my radio gear I borrowed a fanny pack (fuel bled style) from my dad that had a water bottle holder, two fairly good sized pockets and a wide support for the lower back. Spare radio, extra batteries, extra antenna, and extra headphones went into one pocket, and 4 granola bars, and apple and waster bottle were in the other. Who I started shedding layers (it was 35 degrees when I started at 5 am) the pack also had straps to buckle down jackets. Did I look like fashion gone wrong, yes, was I comfortable all day long carrying all of my gear, absolutely.

I hope ops you had fun down field.