230gr tmj .45acp + bullseye = what min charge???

Loading 230gr TMJ speer rounds with bullseye powder

lyman lists
min 3.8 max 5.3

speer lists
min 5.2 max5.7

large diffrence on the min any advice? am mad newb
will 3.8gr to 5.1 suffice as range is not listed in speer manual.

What do you reload same rounds and powder at if you use them?

Hornady does not list Bullseye.
Nosler: 4.1..670fps Max-5.1 790fps
Lee: 5.0 start/max 905fps

I would go w/ the bullet manufacturer!!! Start at 5.1gr and work up. It will give a safety cushion for OAL/ seating depth.

Edit: I use Nosler 230gr FN FMJ and Unique or W231 for cast.

Last edited:
From Alliant

JHP 5.4 gr Bullseye 865 fps 1.23" Fed 150
Suggested starting load: 4.9 gr

Pressure: 19,200

FMJ 5.0 gr Bullseye 905 fps 1.19" Fed 150
Suggested starting load: 4.5 gr

Pressure: 16,200

You need to think of the figures in the reloading books as "suggested starting points" rather than "minimums". The minimum load that would work is dependent on the gun so no loading manual can tell you that.

Those drastically different numbers are good advertisements for chronographs.

just boggles my mind how there can be drastically different numbers for min gr.

Not really. Bullets are designed differently, different bearing surface= different pressures. You can take 4 brands of 230gr FMJ bullets, 2 may be the same in every respect, the other 2 will be completely different. I always go to the bullet manufacturer 1st. jp

thanks JP going to use speers data just finished up a run of 10 rounds to test fire

230gr speer tmj
5.2gr bullseye
win large piston primer
new R&P brass
1.272 AOL

going to try to go to range this weekend to give em a spin.

Always use mfg if you can. Different companies, same weights, different designs and jackets, densities, etc. All bullets are not created equal and mfg knows best what it was designed for

sticking to speer and hornady bullets for the time being and going to use their manual settings for charge. finished up 20fmj speers and 10 hornady xtp/hp can't wait to go to range and see how they do. not reloading a ton of rounds till I get the swing of the machine. Its all new to me but am loving it so far.

Back
Top Bottom