• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

That's one way of turning a 22 into junk,if it's still working with no problems then you are all set just don't dry fire it anymore.

I obtained a Davis .22 (Derringer) in a lot from an estate sale. Upon closer inspection, it looks like it's been damaged from dry firing - there is a small dent in the chamber that appears to be from the firing pin hitting an empty chamber.

What are your thoughts on this damage?

I test fired the gun a couple times, and it seemed to function just fine, but it wasn't a comprehensive test. Will the damage cause FTF issues down the road?

Do you think this is going to do anything to the value of or demand for the gun? I have no use for the thing, I'm sure I'm just going to sell or trade it eventually, but I don't want this to become an issue.

Thanks
TD

I bought one, second-hand, in the box, complete with the original bright orange tag that said do not dry-fire, for $175.
It was in about the same condition as yours, but with sticky extraction.
On closer inspection, you could see that the peining effect had swaged metal into the chamber*, causing the extraction issue.
A "gunsmith" said "no problem" and when I picked it up from him later, he said he'd fixed it by polishing the chamber.
After that, the pistol didn't fire about half the time, with light strikes, because the polish job done by the "gunsmith" had interfered with cartridge headspace.
I tried to sell it - with full disclosure - at a gunshow for $40. (but no takers).
Eventually I sold it - with full disclosure - for $20.

* P.S.: Brownells sells a chamber ironing tool that is the correct tool for the job.

Last edited:
I've got one. Not a bad gun (mine actually works) for what it is, I paid $60 new for it a couple years ago (15 - 20). I ordered a set of .22mag barrels for it from Cobra and they work even better (minor fitting and filing required).

It's heavy for it's size, but a decent summer carry when the other option is to not carry (bathing suit, jogging, etc)

You need to inspect, even brand new, 22s for dry fire damage. Here's why. I went to a local GS to buy a S&W 617. I brought along my own 22 snap caps so that I could thoroughly test how the gun indexed on each chamber. Guy behind the counter told me there was no need to use the snap caps. Made me wonder how many folks before me had dry fired the gun.

As it turned out, the gun was fine and I bought it. But, look real good at any 22 chamber for damage before you buy, even a NIB gun.

Back
Top Bottom