.223 Tracers

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Blue Northern in Ayer has Federal .223 tracers for $10.99 per box. I have no idea if these are hard to get or this is a good deal, but I picked up a couple of boxes just for the heck of it.

Huh. For whatever reason, I always figured we couldn't get tracers in MA.

Legal here (surprisingly).

I believe they're prohibited from use in state forests and such.

Privately owned and operated ranges may also prohibit tracers as well.

G. L. (2006 ed.) ch. 131, sec. 64:

"A person shall not use for hunting purposes any type of full automatic firearm, machine gun or submachine gun, or any crossbow, except as provided in section 69, nor use any tracer or incendiary ammunition for hunting or outdoor target shooting purposes except on a skeet, trap, or target range."

For full effect, you're gonna need 300 yards

at 100 yards you barely see the streak of light before they hit the backstop.

Beware of firing tracers in any location that has any dry grass, leaves, pine needles ect. near the backstop. It is very common for the tracer element in the rear of the round to ricochet when the bullet impacts and fragments.

I have fired ONE, yes only one tracer at other than a military range and sure as the day is long, I was running down range to put out the fire it started in the leaves behind the berm when the tracer element bounced up and over. Needless to say, the can of tracers went back into my vehicle immediately.

They are notorious for starting fires in grass and brush. Be aware of your surroundings and be ready to put out a fire.

If you are in a sand pit or gravel pit with no vegetation and have a long enough distance to shoot to actually see them light up, go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue Northern in Ayer has Federal .223 tracers for $10.99 per box. I have no idea if these are hard to get or this is a good deal, but I picked up a couple of boxes just for the heck of it.

shoot on a really humid, still day and you'll get a good show without the tracers. The vapor trails are pretty cool too!

Back
Top Bottom