• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

223 Powder for Progressive Reloading

I am fairly new to loading and have spent the last week working up my first 45ACP loads on my new Dillon 650. I can't wait to go to the range and make my first bullets go BANG. But I digress. I am using W231 under a 200gr SWC and the powder meters excellently and is a versatile powder which can be used with virtually any 45 cal bullet I choose. Which brings me to my real question.

I am looking for a powder that will meter well in my Dillon powder measure and allow me to work up some decent loads. Right now I have a batch of Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT that I will be looking to load. For development I will sort brass and pick a single head stamp but once the load is worked up I would like to load it into mixed brass. I am looking for a good plinking round that I can pump out with roughly for minute of clay pidgin at two hundred yards. Also being that winter is fast approaching up here I would like something that isn't too susceptible to the cold.

Varget seems to be the natural choice for 223 re-loaders but it is extruded and dosn't measure well in the Dillon. I have read around and am thinking about getting a bottle of Ramshot TAC but I'm not really sure that is the right powder. Please let me know your recommendations. Also if you have any recipes that you would like to share. My data currently consists of just Hornady and Speer manuals. I am working on adding to the collection but for the moment that is all I have.

Thanks for your input!

Try the Accurate and Reloder powders; 2230 and 7, respectively, for 55 grain bullets. Each meters very well.

I use AA 2230C and WCC 844. Both are ball powders that meter very well and are relatively cheap.

.223 powder

I also load .45 acp and .223 on a Dillon 650. I use 27 grains of Winchester 748 and Hornady 55 grain fmjbt bullets.In this caliber I get better accuracy with standard primers. It takes a bit longer for the powder to empty into the case when loading the .223, even when using ball powder. You may have to go a little slower when you load .223 than when you load .45.

I use R-15 in a Hornady L-N-L without any problem, but that is for heavier bullets than 55gr. 748 would work well.

B

i use a2230 and h335 in my dillon have tried others but these work best for me.. not a big fan of win 748

I used 748 with Sierra 69's and it did fine.

I now use RE15 with Sierra 77's and 80's. It is a short-cut extruded powder that meters better than Varget, I've found.

Best tip for the Dillon powder drops is to go to a well-stocked hardware store and buy a tapered reamer. Ream out the powder funnel. Presto! No more powder bridging!

I used 748 with Sierra 69's and it did fine.

I now use RE15 with Sierra 77's and 80's. It is a short-cut extruded powder that meters better than Varget, I've found.

Best tip for the Dillon powder drops is to go to a well-stocked hardware store and buy a tapered reamer. Ream out the powder funnel. Presto! No more powder bridging!

The individual powder funnels?

Back
Top Bottom