• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY gun shops are not even sure now what is or is not law!!!

Well everyone is confused I guess.
First: I am not bashing the dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I wanted to do was give my daughter in NY state a shotgun (from Mass) that is for my 13 year old grandson.
So I call a NY gun shop, tell them what I wanted. A shop that knows us both.
I then head over to do the transfer. When I get there we spend over a half hour arguing about the laws and the need for me to do the transfer legally. And the fact that I live in Mass!!!!

Well the deal never got done.
They told me I do not have to do any paper work.. I am saying it is a across the state line transfer and it is a federal law.
They say it is stupid... Maybe so but.
Then they say if it will make you feel better..they would do it for $40, even though it was not necessary???

So we walked away...by then I was so pissed that I did not care.
In the time we argued we could have just done the deal and be on our way.

I have seen the letter to NY dealers. Actually I posted about it quite a while back.
It says that all gun transfers in NY state after 1/15/13 had to go through a dealer.
While the dealer is not obliged to do the transaction, if he chooses to do so it can be no mare than $10 ??
If that is the case then the dealer could also be in violation of the law if he charges $40..
Maybe it should be $10 plus a tip of $??
Or say he doesn't want to doit and the owners suffer!!

THIS is what I call BACK DOOR GUN REGULATION!!!!!!

So I just wanted to vent a bit on here and maybe get some info in return

Does anyone have any updates on these NY laws????

Sounds like just a regular out-of-state transfer if you ask me. I don't know NY-specific laws, but the GCA-68 is applicable here.

My read is that the NY SAFE Act sale/transfer provision (requiring dealer involvement and the max $10 fee) does not apply because this is a parent to child transfer, which is exempt.

On the other hand, GCA68 does apply because it is an interstate transfer.

So the FFL should have done the transfer for you under GCA68. The only question is whether or not the FFL would have been bound by the $10 maximum transfer fee under the SAFE Act since this would not have been a SAFE Act-required transfer.

In other words, did the NY SAFE Act cap all NY state FFL transfers at $10.00? Or only those specifically required by the SAFE Act?

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or even close.

Just give him the shotgun. If people are going to come after you because of a shotgun, shoot them.

The only thing your grandson learned from this experience is that is OK to let the govt tell you what to do and he should fear it.

Just let him borrow it. Until you die. N'om sayin?

Disclaimer: The above is legal advice because I simply no longer give a ****.

Well that is just what I was thinking! I am loaning him the shotgun for skeet/trap. And he is really getting a kick out of the "Laws" that are so confusing, even the FFL' don't understand them.

Back
Top Bottom