22 LR Match Ammo

At fifty feet I use the Aguilla Sub Sonic. It is also accurate out to fifty yards for practice. In matches at 25 yards I've had success with the SK Match (198-7) slowfire last week at Sharon. I have also had great luck with CCI Green Tag. If you are looking for the ultimate in accuracy at any price- Eley Tenex is hands down the best. I shoot Tenex in my free pistol at 50 meters. Greg

Greg:

That was an awesome score.... both the SF and the whole match (890).

I think it all boils down on these factors:

Reliability
Accuracy/Distance
Price

Reliability is paramount. If the gun does not go bang every single time you pull the trigger then you have to switch to a different brand. You also need to be concerned with battering your gun with high velocity ammo. Most target guns are not designed to use HV... so check your manufacturer for advice on that.

Accuracy/Distance. If you are shooting 50 feet, just about any ammo will be accurate enough. If you are shooting 50 yards, then you need to get a bunch of ammo within your price/comfort zone and ransom rest test it (if you can) for accuracy.

You might find that an ammo that shoots .75 inches and costs $45 per 500 and another ammo shoots .95 inches and costs $30 per 500... you have to ask yourself if the extra .2 inches is worth $10 per 500.

Just throwing this out here. I today topped of my Ruger Mark III with a Bushnell Trophy red dot, then took it down to the indoor/outdoor range for a quick sight-in session. Ammo was Remington Golden™ Bullet HP Value Pack, courtesy of W4lM4rt @ $12.32 +tx.

I'd never used a red dot before, and I found it to be very easy to get used to. Below is a 10-shot group on a Slow Fire target @ 50', with the barrel on a bag rest. I'd spotted all types of .22LR ammo on the dealer's shelves, but figured I'd just go with what I'd had on hand for the time being. I'm much satisfied with this setup, for now.

Well I tried 7 different .22 LR match bullets. I drove to 6 different gun shops (MA,NH,ME) to get them. Called in advance to see what type of ammo they had in stock and was pissed to find out they were out when I got there ("Oh we've got that" or "Got a ton of the shelves, no need to put it aside"). Anyway, the two that shot best at 50' were the CCI SV and the CCI GT. Anyway, now I'm stuck with a bunch of Wolf Extra Match. Didn't perform well in my gun and had an awful sticky residue. Thanks for all the advice! [grin]

Back
Top Bottom