.22 LR (M&P15-22) Magazine Capacity Question

Hello everyone,

I've lurked here for a while and asked a few questions before, and need some advice/help.

I live in MA and have an LTC Class A Large Capacity Unrestricted license. Recently I won (yes!) a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 Compliant rimfire rifle. When I picked it up from the FFL/Shop Owner/Raffle Holder we were discussing the magazine (it comes with a 10-round) and he went off on a tangent about what to do if I wanted a 25 round magazine for the gun.

Excuse me, but I thought I could not own a 25 round magazine with any type of rifle except pre-ban mags. made for guns manufactured before the MA AWB went into effect?

Meaning that the 25 round magazines for the Smith & Wesson M&P15-22s are illegal for me to own in this state unless I am a LEO/FFL?

It's my understanding that this shop owner is *himself* a LEO, so he may have been projecting his ability to buy/own those magazines onto me, mistakenly. Or maybe he was testing me.

What's the real story? I know that the MGL specifically exempts TUBULAR magazines on .22 rifles from the 10 round restriction but I didn't think that had anything to do with something like an M&P15-22.

The gun's date of manufacture is irrelevant for this point, but you are correct that you may not legally possess any removable magazine of greater that 10 round capacity manufactured after the ban date. (October 1994, if I recall correctly)

people get confused with .22lr because rifles with TUBULAR non-detatchable magazines (like on the marlin) can hold over 10 rounds and are legal to possess in MA. however, as 30mauser said, if the mag is detatchable then you are restricted to 10 round capacity

The gun's date of manufacture is irrelevant for this point, but you are correct that you may not legally possess any removable magazine of greater that 10 round capacity manufactured after the ban date. (October 1994, if I recall correctly)

Almost right. Magic date is 9/13/1994.

And you can put a pre-ban mag in ANY gun that will accept it regardless of when the gun was made, they are 2 separate issues.

Additionally, there is NO exemption for LEOs (other than issued duty weapons and mags) according to the current interpretation of MGL by EOPS Legal Dept. For years we thought we were exempt, but a ruling by EOPS Legal Dept puts that into dispute and at least one LEO has been jammed up in the legal system over it, so pushing that issue just isn't worth it. [Many LEOs still believe that they are exempt.]

I heard a rumor ( [wink] ) that there are even YouTube Videos out there on how to modify a long 10 round magazine into a 25 round magazine. I overheard that its actually pretty easy to do.

I'm pretty happy with my shorty tens. Personally I don't think anyone locally would turn you in for one of those 25 rounders, even cops as evidenced above. But if the ATF decided to stop by your range the day you were shooting you might be going to jail for about 10 years.

Thank you all very much for the confirmation and the extra details and commentary. I was surprised when he brought it up - literally I stood there while my mind flashed through about 10 different reasons *why* he might - when I knew (or thought I knew) that they were no-go. So I said nothing, let it hang in the air for a second or two and just changed the subject without even raising an eyebrow or saying..."Is that so?" First of all I didn't want to embarrass him if he was just flat mistaken and didn't realize it - the guy is giving me a $500 gun. He was a very pleasant person to deal with. I'm glad to have won the rifle and I expect to do business with him again but I was surprised at the question and instructions (which were unsolicited).

I'm going to become a member here shortly after New Years - hope to see you all at one of the meets. Every time I've asked a question here I've gotten solid, factual, clear answers and that's worth more than the membership fee to me, living here in the Commonwealth. Thanks again.

BTW I am going to post a review of the M&P15-22 here once I get it to my range. Just out of the box during the compulsory "new gun bonding time" I'm liking it, it's an impressively put together package and I'm eager to shoot it. Of course I already have a couple of accessories I'm thinking about, one of which is a pad for the buttstock. Sure it's just a .22lr but when shouldering it in light clothes I can really feel that hard plastic. Why be uncomfortable with such a neat little gun?

Last edited:
But if the ATF decided to stop by your range the day you were shooting you might be going to jail for about 10 years.

Why? He's wouldn't be violating any FEDERAL laws. [thinking] This isn't like having an illegal SBR or something like that, which is pretty much a fast track into federal happy fun prison land.

ETA: For those reading, I'm not suggesting that possessing illegal magazines is a "good idea", but if anyone thinks the feds give a rats ass about MA law further than a "wrist wave" then someone's smoking something serious. One of the gun shows I went to in MA in the past 10 years, there was an ATF table about 10 feet from a guy loudly selling illegal magazines. (and those who have seen this guy know who I'm talking about, LOL). Zero ****s were given by the two badge carrying ATF agents sitting at the table. They looked pretty bored, actually. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
I have only been to 2 gun shows, so this might sound stupid but what does the ATF do at the show?

They have a table usually filled with paperwork where they hand out like federal gun law books, license application forms, pamphlets on how to obtain an FFL, that kind of thing. I haven't seen them this year but I saw them in years past at MA and NH shows.

-Mike

I stand corrected, thank you.

I was trying to think of some form of law enforcement that would actually care.

I'm now going to guess it may be situational?
eg. You're at the range with a bunch of gunmo law enforcement buddies, they'll smile and say "cool, let me shoot that"

eg #2: You're driving with a plate light out in Dorchester at 3am, you get pulled over, just at the legal limit after a breathalyzer, empty pot pipe in the console, you stupidly consent to search and they find your MP-15/22 in the back seat, unlocked, with a 50 round drum mag attached to it, I'm guessing yea you're probably going to get pinched for that.

Member before New Years

I decided to go ahead right away and become a member, especially after reading some of the answers given to other people in new threads.

I should have done that a few years ago - but better late than never. I'm looking forward to being a member and doing my best to contribute here. I'm very glad to have found a group of people who have a good grasp of what they're talking about and who really treat each other with respect and keep the signal to noise ratio high. Thanks again!

I decided to go ahead right away and become a member, especially after reading some of the answers given to other people in new threads.

I should have done that a few years ago - but better late than never. I'm looking forward to being a member and doing my best to contribute here. I'm very glad to have found a group of people who have a good grasp of what they're talking about and who really treat each other with respect and keep the signal to noise ratio high. Thanks again!

Welcome to the green side! Just remember, sometimes, people are dicks even if they don't mean to be. Unless someone calls your mother a whore, you should just let it slide [smile]

I think I get it and I'll get along pretty well here. I promise never to say anything bad about anybody's mom. Unless she has a really terrible gun, in which case I'll blame someone else. ;)

Last edited:
Regarding accessories for a 15-22...extra mags, perhaps targets, a red/green dot sight if you want (remember to use the comm2a link for Amazon), and LOTS and LOTS of ammo. Good luck with the last item though.

Worst thing about the M&P 15-22 is that they are far too much fun to shoot, and my wife makes me give it back to her.

I heard a rumor ( [wink] ) that there are even YouTube Videos out there on how to modify a long 10 round magazine into a 25 round magazine. I overheard that its actually pretty easy to do.

I'm pretty happy with my shorty tens. Personally I don't think anyone locally would turn you in for one of those 25 rounders, even cops as evidenced above. But if the ATF decided to stop by your range the day you were shooting you might be going to jail for about 10 years.

It's very easy to do. It's mostly done by free state people because for the last two years the only mags available were long 10 rounders.

Back
Top Bottom