2017 MA IDPA State Championship

Amputee Marksman

NES Member
There are still a few slots open for the 2017 IDPA MA State Championship being held June 10 and 11 at the Woburn Sportsmen's Association in Bedford.

This is a tier 3 match with 12 stages. We will be giving away a Compact Ruger American pistol in 9mm to one lucky shooter each day and along with othr prizes. We will also be raffling off a S&W Model 1911. All the proceeds from the Raffle go to Aiming For Zero to help prevent veteran suicide.

Don't wait. Sign up now. This is sure to be a great match.

Registration link for the match. http://www.matchreg.com/MA/?action=

Weather is looking good for Saturday.

This will be my first ever championship match. Can't wait.

Some of the drop turners were a *bit* quick
e334e85d504a7cc3518db47e15300c18.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not looking forward to 90+ degrees today but oh well. How long does it take to get through so many stages?

I thought I was doing horrible but then I realized that so was everyone else. Definitely a harder match than the local ones I'm used to. Also, first time that I found my G19's sight radius and especially front sight width an issue - it covered heads entirely at the distances we were shooting at. In the end I got near the top in my division so I'm not complaining.

It seems like the match was designed for Expert and higher level shooters with many long-distance targets with non-threats all around them. Maybe it is just me, but overall, it would be much more fun to have a variety of stages with close targets and open long-distance targets for speed shooting.

I thought I was doing horrible but then I realized that so was everyone else. Definitely a harder match than the local ones I'm used to. Also, first time that I found my G19's sight radius and especially front sight width an issue - it covered heads entirely at the distances we were shooting at. In the end I got near the top in my division so I'm not complaining.

Yeah it was apparent that many shooters (myself included) thought this was a difficult match. I thought I shot okay considering how many non-threat hits and misses I had...

Interesting point regarding your G19 front sight. I finally realized last month at the Pelham USPSA match, that the factory front sight width on my Dan Wesson 1911 was too big. It was 0.119" inches wide with a 0.060" fiber optic. I just had a Dawson 0.100" 0.040" fiber optic sight installed 2 weeks ago and I think it's helped me a lot with the longer shots yesterday.

Last edited:
It seems like the match was designed for Expert and higher level shooters with many long-distance targets with non-threats all around them. Maybe it is just me, but overall, it would be much more fun to have a variety of stages with close targets and open long-distance targets for speed shooting.
With the change to how targets are scored getting -1s or -3s are a killer. It's forcing everyone to be better shooters and tight hard cover or NT placement really forces you to be just that. For me it has slowed the shooting down which I don't like. Hopefully I can maintain -0 while getting faster.

Yeah it was apparent that many shooters (myself included) thought this was a difficult match. I thought I shot okay considering how many non-threat hits and misses I had...

Interesting point regarding your G19 front sight. I finally realized last month at the Pelham USPSA match, that the factory front sight width on my Dan Wesson 1911 was too big. It was 0.119" inches wide with a 0.060" fiber optic. I just had a Dawson 0.100" 0.040" fiber optic sight installed 2 weeks ago and I think it's helped me a lot with the longer shots yesterday.
You might've been the most accurate on our squad (or one of the most accurate). Well done.

The scores are very interesting. Andrew shot very accurately, one of the top 10 probably in the match (72) and finished 3rd in SS ESP with 445. Darren had 2 points down more than me (124 vs 126) for a 410 total (but with 54 more points down than Andrew), whereas I had a total of almost 480! So you can see that accuracy can really drive a score down like with Andrew's but also Darren must really fly to make such a low score compared to me with pretty much identical points down.

No excuses, I just plain sucked. After spending days building stages, setting everything up and dealing with all the last minute crap I never got my head into the game.

I will make up for my bad showing in 2 weeks at the NY Empire Match.

At a higher level match like this you have to have more difficulty stages intentionally to provide a challenge for the higher level of shooter it attracts so I think you're right. The club level matches are intended to be more fun for the more experienced shooters and provide a reasonable challenge for the majority of the competitors like us in the MM or SS levels.

The scores are very interesting. Andrew shot very accurately, one of the top 10 probably in the match (72) and finished 3rd in SS ESP with 445. Darren had 2 points down more than me (124 vs 126) for a 410 total (but with 54 more points down than Andrew), whereas I had a total of almost 480! So you can see that accuracy can really drive a score down like with Andrew's but also Darren must really fly to make such a low score compared to me with pretty much identical points down.

Yeah I thought they were interesting also. I didn't try to go fast and was more concerned with accuracy as my score shows. Got into my old (bad?) habits of taking extra shots. Many times I had 4-5 shots in the down 0 and 1 zones when I only needed 2 shots....But there were plenty of targets that I missed completely....

And yes Darren was definitely shooting quick - nicely done. I give kudos to the guys who can shoot/move fast and accurate. Especially in the heat lol.

Yeah I thought they were interesting also. I didn't try to go fast and was more concerned with accuracy as my score shows. Got into my old (bad?) habits of taking extra shots. Many times I had 4-5 shots in the down 0 and 1 zones when I only needed 2 shots....But there were plenty of targets that I missed completely....

And yes Darren was definitely shooting quick - nicely done. I give kudos to the guys who can shoot/move fast and accurate. Especially in the heat lol.
If you tried to hold off on all the extra shots you'd be a master I think. If there were 65 targets with 2 extra shots each you might have saved 100 seconds and have a 345. And think of the money you'd save on ammo costs.

Neil, I agree that this level of matches should be tough. However, a few 'easy' stages would make a difference for MM and SS levels. They would still suck, but feel much better :) (I am talking about myself primarily :))

If you tried to hold off on all the extra shots you'd be a master I think. If there were 65 targets with 2 extra shots each you might have saved 100 seconds and have a 345. And think of the money you'd save on ammo costs.

Ehh I don't think so - though I appreciate the optimism lol. I missed expert class by 4 seconds at the Harvard classifier. I think Master will take a lot more time/effort.

You beat me by less than half a second. Bastard.

I made a number of really stupid mistakes. I can't make it to NER but I'll see you in NH!

Back
Top Bottom