200gr swc

I am looking for a good target load for the 200gr swc from northeast bullet. I will be using 231 for powder. I looked on the winchester powder website and it states 4.4 to 5.6 at 1.220 OAL. Most recipes call for 1.250. If I go 1.220 there is NO shoulder of the bullet showing. Would it be OK to go 5.2 grains with 1.250 OAL. Thanks Brian

The best thing to do is start the load at minimum listed for 231(4.4gr.)with the case OAL that you desire and work the load up 1 grain or so at a time while looking for the primers flattening out(sign of overpressure) until you either reach 5.2gr. or signs of overpresssure.Cranking down the OAL that small an amount should not post a problem as long as your not max loading but I'm not a ballistician either so USE CAUTION.Also I would check a few other sources(manuals) and don't "crimp" the bullet down once seated...just remove the belling from the neck.Crimping it down to far might help cause overpressure.

You really need to find what will work for YOUR gun. In my custom Caspian with 12# recoil spring the following load produces the most accurate result (about 2.5" @50 yards):

200gr LSWC
4.6gr Win 231
0.469 crimp
1.245 OAL

If you are looking for a load for bulls eye competition, the lightest accurate load is more desirable.
As you found out already, 1.220 OAL is too short. The manuals usually show the MINIMUM allowable OAL. This value is designed to prevent overpressure, not to suggest you the optimal OAL.

Last edited:
My favorite target load for the .45 is a 200 gr swc lead bullet over 5.0 gr of WW 231 at 1.250 oal. This gves me about 800 fps out of a five inch barrel.

You really need to find what will work for YOUR gun. In my custom Caspian with 12# recoil spring the following load produces the most accurate result (about 2.5" @50 yards):

200gr LSWC
4.6gr Win 231
0.469 crimp
1.245 OAL

If you are looking for a load for bulls eye competition, the lightest accurate load is more desirable.
As you found out already, 1.220 OAL is too short. The manuals usually show the MINIMUM allowable OAL. This value is designed to prevent overpressure, not to suggest you the optimal OAL.

I have six manuals as well as online sources which ALL give MAXIMUM case OAL for each application.Why would they list a minimum when each powder and charge for the given bullet are different? What you WILL find in some manuals is a tested OAL however this is by no means a MINIMUM OAL or it would be clearly stated.

BPO: 1.220 OAL MAY NOT be too short for your application depending on the charge used but again don't take anybody's word for it!For example:I reload 230gr.fmj(.45acp) and ALL of my manuals list the max OAL at 1.275" but they do not give a minimum b/c this would be impossible from one cartridge or firearm to the next.The max OAL is listed mainly for the functioning in most firearms however at this OAL my 1911's will not feed and function properly so I seat my bullets at 1.250 charged at 5.3gr.(231).This is NOT a max load however.So you see each application is different and YOU need to work the load up for your application starting at the minimum charge unless you personally know someone who loads that particular cartridge identical to yours specifically.Best of luck![smile]

I have six manuals as well as online sources which ALL give MAXIMUM case OAL for each application.Why would they list a minimum when each powder and charge for the given bullet are different? What you WILL find in some manuals is a tested OAL however this is by no means a MINIMUM OAL or it would be clearly stated.

Lee reloading manual specifically says MIN OAL. Do you want me to post a scan? [smile]

Why would they list a minimum OAL? This is a safety issue. Shorter OAL develops higher pressure with the same load. I'm talking about CARTRIDGE OAL, not case OAL.

Beware max OAL specs. I have seen several manuals which list 1.275 as the max OAL for the .45 ACP. Bullets loaded to this length will not feed/chamber in a lot of pistols. 1.250 is a good startng point; I use it for my 200 swc and 230 rn loads.

Beware max OAL specs. I have seen several manuals which list 1.275 as the max OAL for the .45 ACP. Bullets loaded to this length will not feed/chamber in a lot of pistols. 1.250 is a good startng point; I use it for my 200 swc and 230 rn loads.

On the other hand, SWCs loaded short will not feed properly in lots of guns. I loaded some so that the shoulder was flush with the case mouth and found that they wouldn't feed through my 1911.

If I were the OP, I'd try several different lengths to ensure that you find one that will chamber and feed through your pistol.

With that said, I don't recall ever having a problem with SWCs loaded to 1.250".

If I were the OP, I'd try several different lengths to ensure that you find one that will chamber and feed through your pistol.

+1 My 1911 feeds 200gr SWC perfectly at 1.235. Make a bunch up at different lengths, and see what ones feel and function the best for you.

On the other hand, SWCs loaded short will not feed properly in lots of guns. I loaded some so that the shoulder was flush with the case mouth and found that they wouldn't feed through my 1911.

With that said, I don't recall ever having a problem with SWCs loaded to 1.250".

Using the case mouth as a point of reference can be a problem as case lengths vary.

I went to try out the rounds I made up last week. I had 100 at 1.230 and they all went bang. No problem in my 1911SC. I also tried them at 1.240 and 1.250 with no problem. Should I stay at 1.250 or stay shorter. What is more accurate. I am at 200gr swc with 5.3, 231 with cci primers. This seams to be a good. What is everyones favorite for 230 FMJ. Thanks Brian

If it works at 1.250 I would stick with the longer OAL. It will keep the pressure in the gun to a minimum. In terms of accuracy every gun is different and you need to execute some bench resting at an indoor range and test the grouping for each of your loads. Typically though the closer a bullet is seated to the barrel rifling the more stable and accurate a bullet will fly. Then it is a matter of working out the most accurate velocity powder charge.

Lee reloading manual specifically says MIN OAL. Do you want me to post a scan? [smile]

Why would they list a minimum OAL? This is a safety issue. Shorter OAL develops higher pressure with the same load. I'm talking about CARTRIDGE OAL, not case OAL.

I meant to type cartridge OAL and not case OAL but again listing one minimum OAL for several different powders/loads doesn't make sense?[hmmm]

I use 5.3 grains of 231 for 230gr.FMJ as well.Stick with the longest OAL that will feed/function in your gun(s).I have found as well that unless I move the OAL down quite a bit the rounds will not function in my 1911's so I use a smaller OAL to satisfy all my needs instead of making 3 different cartridge lengths.

bullet availability from northeast

I am looking for a good target load for the 200gr swc from northeast bullet. I will be using 231 for powder. I looked on the winchester powder website and it states 4.4 to 5.6 at 1.220 OAL. Most recipes call for 1.250. If I go 1.220 there is NO shoulder of the bullet showing. Would it be OK to go 5.2 grains with 1.250 OAL. Thanks Brian

I heard that northeast bullets is out of business. Were you able to purchase some recently and where are they?

Thank you,
Springfield Bob

I purchased them at the Wilmington show. It says north east on the boxes. I bought two boxes, one in 45 and one for 9mm.I think this guy bought them out. Its called reloads and more out of stoneham ma.

This a great thread, I've been reloading 200 Grain Truncated Cone Plain Base for the last year and found I was having a problem getting a oal that would feed with out a problem in 8 different 45's.

I finally found that 1.235 with 5.1grs of W231 worked in all of them. I have a glock 30, Sig P220, Colt 1911 government model, 2 S&W 1911 5 inch, 457, 625-6 and a S&W pd 4 1/4 inch that I reload for..

The weird thing that I found was, the Colt was the real fussy one. It would jam so bad on some rounds I would have to bench press the slide to open the chamber.

On reflection looking back at what I learned, I would have to say that it was the design of the bullet that caused all the problems and a 200 Grain H&G 68 Semi-Wadcutter is a better choice for reloading.

Last edited:
target load

I have never check the oal until this week.the top shooters used bullseye at 3.5 gr.I use 700X at 3.6 with 200swc.crimp on top band so the bullet is out 1/32" the 3 1911s work fine.empties drop beside me. I claim the bullet headspaces by jamming the case against the breach.I dont see any reason to use more powder than I need.and it works to 50yrds.[rolleyes]---[smile]

Back
Top Bottom