2008 IDPA MA Championships vid

Gang. Even though it's still going on, here is my highlight vid from the big match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZndotpkZt1A

Hope you enjoy it and it inspires you all to show up next year!

I shot quite well for me, but made one big mistake and had one total FUBAR thing happen to me at the very end of the match, which will have killed my scores.

Stupid thing I did:

I replaced my old 16lb recoil spring in my 1911 with an 18lb spring, and didn't test it before the match. Bad move. What happened to me a bunch of times was I would go bang, bang, click...nothing. The heavy spring was not allowing the slide to come all the way back* and so a new rnd didnt get put into the pipe. I tried different mags, that didn't change it, so I put it down to the new recoil spring as the gun has never done that before.

Total FUBAR:

Even with the above problem which probably happened once every few mags or so, I was actually feeling good, which means something had to go totally wrong. Put in the mag, bang, bang. jam. Do a quick tap, wrack, bang drill. nothing. do it again. Nothing. Drop out that mag, put in new mag (by now my time score is destroyed and I already know I just blew it...) and finished.

The spring in the first mag broke! Snapped right in half. Was not an old spring in the mag either. Never had that happen before. I removed from the vid where I yelled "fu&%!" and am greatful I didn't get unsportsman like conduct infractions! That really sucked...

* = I have been using Remington UMC .45AC ball ammo. It's been my impression from shooting this stuff that it's very light loaded, and my experience with the 18lb spring seemed to confirm that. Any chrono or test the PMC ammo? I'm not a fan...

PS, if anyone has an explanation for a 1911 doing that that has not done it prior to that, please give me your theories there. I have always preferred 18lb springs vs 16 in my 1911s, but don't recall having such an issue before with a new 18lb spring and this is a new-sh gun. Seemed to me to be a cobo of the new spring and the ammo.

great video...couldn't make it....grad party for niece, soccer & baseball for little ones.
I don't have time for myself to fart.

Will - wish you had included the final Will Brink comment on stage 8 in the video - it was a classic... F!@# at fulll volume! Priceless.

Hey Will - get your accents right - that was the SO Laughing NOT me !!!!!! I was the one yelling at you to keep going, so please take that one down... No fair man.

Hey Will - get your accents right - that was the SO Laughing NOT me !!!!!! I was the one yelling at you to keep going, so please take that one down... No fair man.

I have edit the above! My bad! The SO laughing at me, nice! [laugh]

And yes, I have your words of encouragement on vid too [wink]

Last edited:
Thank you sir. I'd never laugh at a buddy in the middle of a melt down in IDPA - I think the SO was laughing at the lower deck invective, not your situation, that popped out. But, time to say F!@# is after you've completed.

Thank you sir. I'd never laugh at a buddy in the middle of a melt down in IDPA

It was all in jest and good humor. I have much thicker yank skin then that.

- I think the SO was laughing at the lower deck invective, not your situation, that popped out. But, time to say F!@# is after you've completed.

I wish they would have let me reshoot the stage, but I guess at a match like that they can't.

Will thanks for sharing the video. Looks like the match was quite fun!

FWIW- I run a 13 lb recoil spring with a shock buff in my 1911 that I use for USPSA limited competition. Many of the guys that I shoot with think that is a little heavy but that is where I like it. Try a couple of different lighter springs you may find you like the way the gun recoils a better.

Will thanks for sharing the video. Looks like the match was quite fun!

FWIW- I run a 13 lb recoil spring with a shock buff in my 1911 that I use for USPSA limited competition. Many of the guys that I shoot with think that is a little heavy but that is where I like it. Try a couple of different lighter springs you may find you like the way the gun recoils a better.

Are those hand loads you are using? 230g and full pressure? Full pressure 45ACP (required by IDPA and life...) and 13lb springs or lighter sounds like a bad idea no?

Sorry Will I should have clarified more... I am supposed to be working [wink]

I use the 13# spring in my .40 1911. Which some of the guys think is heavy. My loads are 180 gr jacketed hollow point. They were 174 PF on the Chronograph yesterday at the Area 7 Championship at Harvard. If I remember correctly, my Para came with a 21# spring from the factory which was excessive. When I changed it out, it felt like a whole new gun.

I was not specifically recommending using a 13# in your pistol. Rather, recommending experimenting some lighter springs than 18 lb.

I am sure some of the guys shooting 45 ACP can offer some more specific recommendations.

I use a shock buff in the pistol as well.

The funky hat you had was a good idea for this weekend. My neck got cooked at Harvard!

Sorry Will I should have clarified more... I am supposed to be working [wink]

I use the 13# spring in my .40 1911. Which some of the guys think is heavy. My loads are 180 gr jacketed hollow point. They were 174 PF on the Chronograph yesterday at the Area 7 Championship at Harvard. If I remember correctly, my Para came with a 21# spring from the factory which was excessive. When I changed it out, it felt like a whole new gun.

I was not specifically recommending using a 13# in your pistol. Rather, recommending experimenting some lighter springs than 18 lb.

I am sure some of the guys shooting 45 ACP can offer some more specific recommendations.

I use a shock buff in the pistol as well.

The funky hat you had was a good idea for this weekend. My neck got cooked at Harvard!

Stock spring in most 1911s is 16lbs. I always like what 18lbs does for the guns using 230g full pressure loads, though I am convinced that Remington stuff is light loaded. I use a shock buff too. Hand loaded lighter bullets might be a different thing, not sure. Never used it/did it.

Will,

I found some interesting reading on recoil springs over at brianenos.com Check it out.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5005&hl=Recoil+Spring

Thanx! I just read it, and I can't say it answered anything for me really. You will note it's a collection of opinions, some preferring lighter springs, some preferring heavy! I need to throw another 300-500rnds through the gun I think to stop it from short stroking with the heavy spring with this ammo. I would love to see if someone has checked the pressures on that UMC stuff, because even before this spring issue, it felt light loaded to me. Just stupid of me to run a brand new stiff spring at a match I guess.

Last edited:
No problem. That is a pretty cool site with lots of different info.

It has been quite some time since I shot factory ammo but I also recall UMC being a bit lighter than some other brands like Winchester white box.

Let me know what you end up with after further testing. I am interested your results.

It has been quite some time since I shot factory ammo but I also recall UMC being a bit lighter than some other brands like Winchester white box.

Let me know what you end up with after further testing. I am interested your results.

I always have good results with white box. UMC has been the cheap stuff at Dicks these days, so thats why I had a case of it.

I have noticed the same thing. UMC is much lighter- especially in 9mm. Makes WWB seem hot!

Are those hand loads you are using? 230g and full pressure? Full pressure 45ACP (required by IDPA and life...) and 13lb springs or lighter sounds like a bad idea no?

You may get different opinions about what life requires in terms of ammo, but IDPA hardly requires "full pressure 45ACP." With a 230gr load, you can make PF at less than 720 FPS. Not really "full pressure."

I currently run a 14lb spring in my IDPA 1911, and have run as low as 12lbs. I liked the 12lb, but I just wasn't running honest-to-God 100% with it, so I switched to 14. For IDPA I shoot exclusively CCI Blazer (with one brief foray into remanufactured ammo that came within a hair's-breadth of getting me disqual'ed at last years NE Regional).

You may get different opinions about what life requires in terms of ammo, but IDPA hardly requires "full pressure 45ACP." With a 230gr load, you can make PF at less than 720 FPS. Not really "full pressure."

I currently run a 14lb spring in my IDPA 1911, and have run as low as 12lbs. I liked the 12lb, but I just wasn't running honest-to-God 100% with it, so I switched to 14. For IDPA I shoot exclusively CCI Blazer (with one brief foray into remanufactured ammo that came within a hair's-breadth of getting me disqual'ed at last years NE Regional).

Thanx for the info. Why the Blazer?

Thanx for the info. Why the Blazer?
It's all about the Benjamin's. I don't reload, so I used to shoot WWB (back when it was cheap). I still have a bunch of CCI Blazer Aluminum I bought for $155/1K, and I've been shooting that up. I almost hate to, because it was so cheap. CCI Blazer Brass is also cheaper than WWB in our local Wal-Marts, as well.

Back
Top Bottom