1962 Walther P38

Picked up a 1962 P38 in very good condition at the Marlboro Gun Show for a good price. Alloy frame, bore like new, 2 mags & leather holster... Solid pistol that shoots great. One caveat... The dolt at PW Arms that decided to throw the importer mark right over the date code on the slide of a 50-year old classic pistol should be slapped upside the head...

P38.JPG

Forgot to mention. Someone updated the sights to the later model white dot sights. Those were not available in '62. Nice upgrade.

Yeah, that someone was me. Just got them in and threw 'em on today. I thought the stock front blade was a bit to thin and left lots of "air space" to either side in the sight picture. The newer sights are just like the ones on my P5, which I happen to like a lot. Dipped the end of the signal pin in red paint too. Also picked up a couple more mags online. Love the fact that I can get mags for this thing for under $12...

Nice upgrade on the sights. My late model P1's have these as was standard issue with those. Is this your first p38? I have been collecting them for a while. They keep multiplying like rabbits LOL

Man, I gotta say, handling/operating this gun as opposed to lots of other guns I've tried out, brings the expression "separate the men from the boys..." to mind. This thing is a machine! These old Walthers, and I have a '62 PP (.32auto), an '85 P5, and now this '62 P38 are hard to beat from a quality standpoint. All are tack drivers and they all just feel "right."

Man, I gotta say, handling/operating this gun as opposed to lots of other guns I've tried out, brings the expression "separate the men from the boys..." to mind. This thing is a machine! These old Walthers, and I have a '62 PP (.32auto), an '85 P5, and now this '62 P38 are hard to beat from a quality standpoint. All are tack drivers and they all just feel "right."

Exactly!! I would take my worst P38 over any other gun. My '43 and '45 PP eats anything and ask for more as well but the P38 fit my hands much better.

Exactly!! I would take my worst P38 over any other gun. My '43 and '45 PP eats anything and ask for more as well but the P38 fit my hands much better.

Have you shot a P5 yet? As nice as my PP and P38 shoot, and they do shoot nice, the P5 is in a class by itself, from both an ergonomic and accuracy standpoint...

Last edited:
P38's are sweet, I currently have an alloy frame model dated 1/63.
They're fun guns, but do have a few quirks.
I had one years ago that I literally shot the crap out of, I actually cracked the slide on it. [shocked]
I got a bit freaked out the first time the stamped top cover flew off in my face.
Ergonomically, it fits my hand nicely, and I think they're one of the coolest looking pistols ever made next to the Luger.

P38's are sweet, I currently have an alloy frame model dated 1/63.
They're fun guns, but do have a few quirks.
I had one years ago that I literally shot the crap out of, I actually cracked the slide on it. [shocked]
I got a bit freaked out the first time the stamped top cover flew off in my face.
Ergonomically, it fits my hand nicely, and I think they're one of the coolest looking pistols ever made next to the Luger.

The earlier ones had thinner slides. When they updated them they gave them bigger slides which we call them "fat slides". The top covers usually dont come off unless someone was in there at one time and didnt install it correctly. Sometimes you have to bend the cover ever so slightly to make it snap into place. The top cover "issue" was eliminated with the P4. The alloy frame postwar guns are very good but do not compare to the wartime steel frames. I have a few that I built with wartime frames and postwar uppers. They are built like a brick shithouse. You have the super strong steel frame and the fatslide upper.

What does the "target" mark, or dot within a circle that appears on the muzzle end of the slide signify? Also appears on the frame to the right of the SN#, and also on the exposed front bottom of the barrel. Thanks.

That is a factory proof mark. Kind of like the old WaffenAmpts. You have the "target" mark and also one that looks like a diamond that can be found on the hammers and takedown bolts.

I have a 1962 as well, I am pretty sure it is Nazi marked as well but I could be wrong. I am in bed right now but will check tomorrow and post pictures. Are these valuable or just 300$ish?

I read that the P1 was for the military and mine is just marked P38 cal9mm on the slide, not P1. I guess I have the market variant. So confusing!

Last edited:
Here is my Walther P38 Post War marked July 1962. Can a P38 history buff tell me if the slide matches the frame? And is the value just the normal price people pay for these guns? Thanks for any info. Here are some pictures:

dwi2h.jpg

Looks like "7/52" but it is my iPhone camera messing up. It is marked 7/62

24l3fps.jpg

23ur33o.jpg

Slide and frame are postwar. What are the numbers to the left of the antler mark (Ulm proofhouse)?
That is the month/year combo of when she was proof fired.
The mark under this one appears to be "Eagle over N", which is the actual proof firing mark.

One thing I've noticed about P-38's (and German 9's in general) is the chamber dimensions are really tight.
I've had some problems with my reloads, all it takes is one "fat" one in the mag and the gun locks up tight, and then it's a real bitch to get that slide open.
What I do now is disassemble the gun and physically chamber check every round.
If they drop all the way in and fall out easily, I throw them in a separate box and only use them in my German guns. (P-38, Luger and P7)
All the ones that don't drop in and chamber fully, get sorted out and only go into my non-German 9's. (Uzi, Mac 11, SIG 228)
I suppose I could get a case gauge, but this way works just as well.
If it fits the chamber of my tightest gun, it'll fit all the rest.

Picked up a 1962 P38 in very good condition at the Marlboro Gun Show for a good price. Alloy frame, bore like new, 2 mags & leather holster... Solid pistol that shoots great. One caveat... The dolt at PW Arms that decided to throw the importer mark right over the date code on the slide of a 50-year old classic pistol should be slapped upside the head...

P38.JPG

I have one from the same year! 7/62. It is a real nice shooter. I haven't shot it in a couple of months. This thread is telling me to get her nice and hot again. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom