1955 HRA LMR barreled SG up for a rebarrel MAC1 special: Calling it DONE

wtf is an "unlimited garand"??

Full blown match gun....heavy barrel, glass bedded , modified hand guards trigger around 1lb. Match aperture sights, front aperture sight, heavy stock chambered in other cals... basically anything that's not "as issued" wait that's for NRA match rifle

Here is cmp unlimited rules are about 1/3 way down on web site
http://www.nationalmatcharmory.com/homepage10.html

Last edited:
end of season update

Ok so I usually have my rifles all clean and ready to go by now but im slacking. Figure I would give a up date on my Mac1 special I put together in 2014.

I have shot a few matches with it in the 2015 season with at least 500 rounds but less than 600 through the tube.
I tried taking some pictures of the new stock I installed to show how much the wood compressed after only 1 year locked in the stock. It was still very snug sitting in the stock and I needed to give it a good thump to separate.
I cant get my camera to show the compression clearly so you just have to believe me.
Im going to give the bore a detail clean and see what comes out of the barrel for copper fouling.

here is my cheap bore scope view of the bore. The only thing I have done to the bore after each match is run a oil patch then a 2 dry patches then a final oil patch before going back into the safe. then a dry patch before shooting.
there is some copper

Im going to start with a bore cleaning foam, a good scrub with a brush and then hit it with sweets762. up date later

Last edited by a moderator:
clean barrel.....ready for the next match

ok some more cheap bore scope fun
here is my bore after a break free foam bore cleaner this is all that came out after foam and a good scrub with the brush
VYjC7tWl.jpg

and a run with sweets 762. Lets just say the copper build up was not as bad as I would have thought after 500 rounds. th foam took short work of it. the sweets did not remove anything more and I didn't even bother to post pics.... now my LMR barrel ? that's another post

I will probably hit it with a quick JB bore past just to get a few of the remaining cruds hanging on near the breach end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I had not heard of the foam before (had heard of Break Free before). Does it expand to fill the bore or do you just fill it and let it sit a bit?

Nice. I had not heard of the foam before (had heard of Break Free before). Does it expand to fill the bore or do you just fill it and let it sit a bit?

Yes jam applicator into chamber and spray until it spews out of muzzle. Works great.
. Have had this bottle for years. Cleaning products should last a long long time. I have a can of rem oil that's over 20 years old. You don't need much.
I like breakfree products they work and the clp I think is the better of the bunch.
https://www.amazon.com/Break-Free-B...sr=8-1&keywords=break+free+bore+cleaning+foam

Gun slick brand works well also.
I will clean the bore with a solvent and brush to get the loose crud out the use the foam per directions.
If I feel there is more copper to be removed I hit it with sweets 762. 762 is strong and smelly but looses its strength over time.. if you buy sweets buy the smallest bottle you can find and plan to do all your guns at the same time period. The ammonia must break down or evaporate once you crack the seal. After 2 years I find sweets does not work well.

Yes jam applicator into chamber and spray until it spews out of muzzle. Works great.
. Have had this bottle for years. Cleaning products should last a long long time. I have a can of rem oil that's over 20 years old. You don't need much.
I like breakfree products they work and the clp I think is the better of the bunch.
https://www.amazon.com/Break-Free-B...sr=8-1&keywords=break+free+bore+cleaning+foam

Gun slick brand works well also.
I will clean the bore with a solvent and brush to get the loose crud out the use the foam per directions.
If I feel there is more copper to be removed I hit it with sweets 762. 762 is strong and smelly but looses its strength over time.. if you buy sweets buy the smallest bottle you can find and plan to do all your guns at the same time period. The ammonia must break down or evaporate once you crack the seal. After 2 years I find sweets does not work well.
Nice, I think I'll get a bottle and see what it drags out for the Mosin.

Nice, I think I'll get a bottle and see what it drags out for the Mosin.

Buy more patches...and often your bore will be rougher looking. Also warning if you pick up sweets.
Do not let it sit. Clean it out well with a standard solvent then oil it well.

Back
Top Bottom