• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1940 AX K98

southshoresig

NES Member
Hi all, i just picked up a 1940 AX marked K98 that i assumed was a Russian capture based on the ad, but now that I've got it home and cleaned it up some I think it might be something special . The seller told me he got it from a friend whose grandfather brought it home as a war trophy, he had been using it as a hunting rifle and covered the whole thing in shellac, metal and all. I started cleaning shellac off the metal and there's a nice blue underneath. I don't see an import mark anywhere and there's no elecropencil like my previous RC. All numbers match except the bolt. Is that common? Were these ever imported with being marked? Whay type of butt plate would this have had? As its missing . Also what can i use yo remove shellac from stock? Thanks for any and all info

Last edited:
When Germans surrendered the rifles, rifles went in one pile, bolts inanother. When a ggi grabbed one for a trophy just grabbed any bolt. Nice score. Haven't seen many AX marked k98s not as common as ar , byf, dot, bnz that is for sure

import marks can be tiny. I didnt see mine until I cleaned it up really well.....very very small print bottom side of barrel.
I suppose the K98s where coming in prior to 1968 so no import marks. Shellac could have been done by Russians ?
Still a nice rifle. I like them all. Yours looks to have the eagles un peened also.

I used a paste furniture stripper on my Norwegian stocks, but for a bolt MM bring back you need a gentle procedure. Need more detailed pics, but would be a nice find.

T

Thanks for info, I've looked everywhere but don't see an import mark, majspud, what other pics would you like to see? The shellac was put on by PO to protect it while he was hunting. Ps it has capture screws but no sight hood

An early style flat butt plate 1940 K98 would not be cut for a for a sight hood unless it went in for a re-arsenal after 1941.

Pics of all the serial numbers, markings on the stock, etc. The stock serial number should be on the keel, even with the take down washer. If you are familiar with stripping a mauser, you can post pics of the internal parts, as I did for my svwMB.

T

If it's shellac it will dissolve with denatured alcohol. I generally stick the butt end of the stock in a pail, dump some denatured alcohol in and wash down the stock with steel wool. It appears to be a laminated stock so you want to be careful you don't use anything that could attack the glue.

"AX" code is known as an Erma factory rifle. These were late 1940 models. Check head space before firing due to the bolt not matching.

I will definitely check the head space before firing, thanks. Would this blue be the original finish or does it look reblued? My other K98 was like black phosated

Blued. Pics of the bolt serial and codes? Looks like a nice bolt MM. A little TLC and care; you've a nice rifle there.

T

Back
Top Bottom