1914 Mauser refurb: picture heavy

Maybe this should be in the build section but I figured the milsurp and C&R holders might appreciate this a bit. I picked up a project gun and wanted to document the steps then ask for a little help.
I bought a Mauser 1914 pistol in 7.65mm from kingston. No finish to speak of, pitted, glossy coated grips, firing pin issue.

Started with the grip
DSCF1217.jpg

Easy Off Oven Cleaner
DSCF1222.jpg

After a little rub with fine steel wool and a couple of coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil
DSCF1243.jpg

Tore it down, ready to be cleaned, rust-blue remover, lots of 0000 steel wool (I burned up my dremmel early in this project)
DSCF1226.jpg

Re-blued...waiting for a new firing pin
DSCF1245.jpg

FINALLY...Before
DSCF1206.jpg

and...AFTER
DSCF1251.jpg

DSCF1249.jpg

Now it's stuck! I got it to lock open to re-assemble, closed it, pulled the trigger...click, yea it works...once. Now I can't get it to lock open. I think the firing pin spring was a bit long and as I was preparing to pull it and trim it...it locked open and I finished assembling...since then it is binding up and not letting me pull the slide back far enough to get it to lock open so I can dis-assemble! Any ideas other than take it to a gunsmith, which I will obviously end up doing if I can't force this thing. I had my 22 year old son try to no avail. DAMN [devil] A great project I'm very proud of right up until I can't get it to work. [thinking]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom