1911 Plunger Tube

So after coming home from the range on saturday, did the usual OCD cleaning of my 1911. My brother was looking at it and noticed that the Slide Safety would not disengage...... The plunger tube had come loose and was no longer seated properly. I've ordered a new one(stainless going for a 2 tone look), and the Plunger Tube Staking Tool. Should I also use locktite when installing the new plunger tube?

In some cases the original was not properly staked, I have had some SW's which only one was staked ar all. In this case you just restake them. Loctite is ok but really not needed. Greg

If you do a proper job of staking, the locktite is superfluous. But that being said, every time I've done this job, (every 1911 I've ever owned has shaken loose) I degrease the frame holes and plunger tube legs and use red locktite before staking. I use the red locktite on the gun's ejector also. Always degrease parts completely first.

One thing you should look into before staking is the size of the relief hole on the inside of the frame hole where the plunger tube legs poke through. Most of the S&W 1911s I've owned have had almost no relief (countersink) here. This countersink is where the flared tube leg material flows into. When you "mushroom" the leg ends they lock into these relief areas. It's a mechanical hold so locktite should not be needed. But as mentioned earlier, I do add locktite too. If those small countersink areas are nonexistent, or too small, you can get a tool to cut them by hand and or make a tool from a drill bit of proper size. That is what I did. Hope this helps.

John

If you do a proper job of staking, the locktite is superfluous. But that being said, every time I've done this job, (every 1911 I've ever owned has shaken loose) I degrease the frame holes and plunger tube legs and use red locktite before staking. I use the red locktite on the gun's ejector also. Always degrease parts completely first.

One thing you should look into before staking is the size of the relief hole on the inside of the frame hole where the plunger tube legs poke through. Most of the S&W 1911s I've owned have had almost no relief (countersink) here. This countersink is where the flared tube leg material flows into. When you "mushroom" the leg ends they lock into these relief areas. It's a mechanical hold so locktite should not be needed. But as mentioned earlier, I do add locktite too. If those small countersink areas are nonexistent, or too small, you can get a tool to cut them by hand and or make a tool from a drill bit of proper size. That is what I did. Hope this helps.

John

Thanks for the tip on the countersinks, I have not had a chance to look on the inside of the frame yet and the gun is a SA 1911.

Parts should be here in a couple days and hopefully the reassembly will go smooth.

Brandon

Back
Top Bottom