1898 30-40 US Government issue (Springfield Armory) Krag Jorgensen Questions?

Hoping to find a fat girl to slurp my eel
I never get to find things like this..A friend of a friend is looking for info on a rifle he found while cleaning out a family members house. Found it wrapped up in a trash bag in between rafters in the corner of the attic. He's considering donating the rifle to the local VFW (which one of his wife's relatives helped form that chapter after returning from WW1) . He believes the rifle was used in the Spanish American War and is wondering if there is a way to trace back who it was issued to? Or any other possible information on it? I can't think of a better place to ask, so thank you for your help. In the pics the SN looks like 98887 , any other numbers he should be looking for? It looks like it's been put away for a long time, there are initials carved in it but otherwise its been untouched for a long while now.
View attachment 138175View attachment 138176View attachment 138177View attachment 138178View attachment 138179 IMG_0035.jpg

an SRS check may come up with something, but its unlikely you can narrow it down to anything really specific. That is in amazing condition, and frankly I don't think the VFW would know what to do with it and would probably do something dumb. If the idea is to help out the VFW, sell it to a collector who can appreciate it for what it is and donate the funds. IMO It could fetch $1000+ given the shape its in and the accessories included. Even from the poor quality photos I can see a strong inspector's cartouche on the left side of the stock.

an SRS check may come up with something, but its unlikely you can narrow it down to anything really specific. That is in amazing condition, and frankly I don't think the VFW would know what to do with it and would probably do something dumb. If the idea is to help out the VFW, sell it to a collector who can appreciate it for what it is and donate the funds. IMO It could fetch $1000+ given the shape its in and the accessories included. Even from the poor quality photos I can see a strong inspector's cartouche on the left side of the stock.

I would love to see it up close. I hope it goes to someone worthy.
As for the VFW they don't have much need for it. I would like to know more it's a rifle I want to fill a hole in my service rifle collection. Plus I would love to shoot that in CMP match!

I agree with JPM the VFW does not have a good reputation for taking good care of donated firearms. You see enough of former VFW firearms up for auction to know they receive a very hard service life.

I would recommend either selling it to a collector.

But if he really wants to donate it, I suggest a museum (such as the NRA). It will be cared for more deeply and treated well.

Back
Top Bottom