1891 Argentine Cavalry Carbine - Pics

I had the fortune of acquiring a matching and nearly complete Mauser Modelo Argentino 1891 Cavalry Carbine recently, and thought I'd share some pics. It appears that the only thing missing is the scrubbed model name, but the rest of the gun's features speak for the pedigree. Not too many matching ones around.

Also, this is not the cut down 1891 rife, nor the Engineers Conversion of the 1930's era. It's chambered in 7.65 X 53. Notice it was also built with only one sling loop on the rear. There are some references to it originally being equipped with a saddle ring, but I have yet to see one while cruising the net.

I needed to spend some time cleaning it up - Bluing is all but gone above the wood line, but fortunately there was no major rust, nor other damages besides moderate pitting. I got a pleasant surprise when I took the a damp rag to the crud on the stock. It's a tiger eye (and not a tiger!) - some angles it looks like straight wood, and other angles show the stripes. Bore looks good. I think I will purchase some ammo, and fire this one.

Enjoy.

Argen_Mauser_91_001.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_002.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_004.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_005.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_006.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_007.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_008.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_009.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_014.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_015.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_017.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_018.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_019.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_011.jpg

Argen_Mauser_91_010.jpg

Thats a nice one. A huge batch of Argentine rifles popped up a while back. Was that one from a distributor, auction, or private sale? There are some really mint rifles floating around out there right now and some folks are gouging the hell out of the prices. Good news is there are a lot of accessories too that came in with the rifles. Slings, extra parts, etc.
I have one that needs a stock and have been contemplating ordering one to complete the rifle but I just haven't had the time lately to research every part I need to make the rifle complete. Someday I will because it'll be a nice addition to an 1891 with matching bayonet I have.

It was sitting forlornly on a shelf at a gun shop, next to another even more rare Cavalry Carbine that I'll introduce when I get it cleaned up.

I wish I knew what accessories would go with this one... no front sling loop or bayonet lug. Maybe a saddle bucket and a sash?

I wish I knew what accessories would go with this one... no front sling loop or bayonet lug. Maybe a saddle bucket and a sash?

I know the Gunboards forum has a section with info on them and there are a few books I've heard people mention. I have an E Bay seller bookmarked that usually has a ton of stuff for Argentine Mausers. I think I sent you his link a while back but if you need it again PM me.

I know the Gunboards forum has a section with info on them and there are a few books I've heard people mention. I have an E Bay seller bookmarked that usually has a ton of stuff for Argentine Mausers. I think I sent you his link a while back but if you need it again PM me.

There are plenty of references to the standard 1891 rifle, cut down versions, the 1909, and the Engineers Carbine on Gunboards. But I could only scare up three or four that are configured like this one, and only one other matching one. So, I think this is a real sleeper. I started a topic over there to see where it leads.

And if you did send me the link, Ray, I don't recall. I have about a three-gun-shop memory. As soon as I enter the fourth shop, my recollections start to fade.......

Yes, and the PRVI is decent stuff for the money with pretty good brass.
I love PRVI for taking on the oddball calibers, especially the 7.62 Nagant, .30 Luger, .30 Mauser & 8x56R.
At least for the handgun calibers they seem to hustle Fiocchi's throne.

Very interesting proof marks on that rifle. Ironic, actually, that a firearm has what is essentially a "peace" symbol on it.

I had the gun apart again yesterday to tackle some more rust. Just thought I'd share the particularly fine milling and finish of the receiver - an art that is lost on newer production guns for the most part.

japenese_train_001.jpg

japenese_train_002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom