.17HMR vs. .22LR

The only people that can shoot gopher-sized groups at 1000 yards with a .17HMR are gun magazine writers.

As in:

"Our average off-hand 5-shot groups with the Seecamp were just under 1/2 inch at 75 yards."

Nobody said anything about shooting a thousand yards with a .17HMR. Reread above.

Derek, was that with an AR or M14?

M14, I've never shot past 600 with a .223.

Gunny Taeza who posted here a while back shot a 197 or a 198 that day with his M14. [smile] That salty old dog...

Well, the title of the thread is .17HMR vs. .22LR, and the "gopher" poster didn't indicate differently.

The confusion came when a poster said he had a friend "...shooting a .17 at a thousand yards". I clarified that he was probably getting the .17 rimfires and .17 centerfires confused.

It then morphed into "you can't hit a car with any .17 at a thousand." I clarified again by giving an example that you can be very accurate with those size calibers at a thousand yards.

Derek, CJ and I beat half the match rifle guys that day and all of the M14 guys using our 600 yard loads.

It then morphed into "you can't hit a car with any .17 at a thousand." I clarified again by giving an example that you can be very accurate with those size calibers at a thousand yards.

Yeah, that was my morph.

OK. I decided to run some numbers. I did a web search on .17 caliber bullets and found that the "best" long range bullet available for the .17 is a 30gr from Berger.

Assuming a muzzle velocity of 4000 fps (which I'm not even sure is achievable with a 30 grain bullet), and a 5mph wind, that bullet will drop 534 inches (about 44 feet or 69 MOA) and drift sideways about 10 feet at 1000 yards. Not exactly ideal for long-range shooting.

Disclaimer - Despite the Dr. Strangelove avatar, I'm not a ballistics expert, or a scientist of any kind.

.223 and .308 both drop about 35 MOA from a 200 yard zero with much slower velocity. I would question your 69 MOA figure.

The .17 Remington looks to be 3,500 - 3,800 fps with 30 grain from my info. (Probably could be loaded a little hotter to get around 4,000)

We had a 5 mph, half-value wind that day and I had 1.5 MOA left for wind dope. That's 15 inches.

.223 and .308 both drop about 35 MOA from a 200 yard zero with much slower velocity. I would question your 69 MOA figure.

The .17 Remington looks to be 3,500 - 3,800 fps with 30 grain from my info. (Probably could be loaded a little hotter to get around 4,000)

We had a 5 mph, half-value wind that day and I had 1.5 MOA left for wind dope. That's 15 inches.

It's all about the bullet weight and ballistic coefficient. I picked 30 because it's the heaviest one I could find for the .17. If you don't believe the numbers, click on the link and run them yourself. The ballistic coefficient for the 30 grain bullet is .157.

It's all about the bullet weight and ballistic coefficient. I picked 30 because it's the heaviest one I could find for the .17. If you don't believe the numbers, click on the link and run them yourself. The ballistic coefficient for the 30 grain bullet is .157.

I'm sure that may have something to do with it. I also know there is very little difference in drop between an 80 grn .223 and a 180 grn .308. I know this first hand shooting those rounds at that distance, not a computer program. See what your program says about that.

I also know there is very little difference in drop between an 80 grn .223 and a 180 grn .308. I know this first hand shooting those rounds at that distance, not a computer program. See what your program says about that.

I'll be glad to. You don't happen to know the ballistic coefficients of those bullets do you?

If I mess with the velocities a bit (within those ranges), those two bullets have nearly identical bullet drops. The program matches your real world experience.

Therefore, I'm going to assume that it is also WRT the .17.

I've not seen a program yet that was even close. However, I don't know how much energy gets bled off the .17 at what distance. Velocity is normally the biggest factor in drop as gravity is more constant. (50 grain difference between .17 and .223 - 100 grain difference bewteen .223 and .308)

Regardless, drop has little to do with it. If it drops 35, or 50, or 69 MOA every time it doesn't matter. Just set your dope and hold tight.

Seriously, if you let me get 200 yards downrange and fart at 90 degrees to the bullet path, he couldn't hit my car at 1000 yards, let alone a rodent.

The question is: how would that same fart effect a 80gr. .223 bullet? And would it depend on the meal eaten beforehand? Anybody got a link to that ballistics program?

The question is: how would that same fart effect a 80gr. .223 bullet? And would it depend on the meal eaten beforehand? Anybody got a link to that ballistics program?

The meal will absolutely have an effect. I have a co-worker that I'm certain could deflect an asteroid after eating a Cobb Salad.

sorry wrong gun it was a slingshot shooting 100 grain ball bearings( those balls were shiny too). He musta spent days polishing them balls. I may have over exagerated the distance but. He shoots it very far w/ a spotter.

sorry wrong gun it was a slingshot shooting 100 grain ball bearings( those balls were shiny too). He musta spent days polishing them balls. I may have over exagerated the distance but. He shoots it very far w/ a spotter.

BB - why don't you get with your friend and clarify exactly the caliber and distance was.

As to the question of what a spotter was, it's simply placing yourself directly over the shooter's rifle and watching the vapor trail through a spotting scope.

Back
Top Bottom