• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

160 gr. 38 SPL with Bullseye

Anyone have a recipe for standard or +p loads using 160 gr. lead bullets, sized .357, allox lubed, Winchester SP primers, mixed brass, with Bullseye? I have loads for 158 gr, can those be used or is the difference enough to be a no no?

If you weigh some of your cast lead bullets, you will probably find more than 2 grains differeence in the weights. You should be OK with starting loads.
Bullseye is a very fast burning powder. I'd not reccommend it for ANY kind of a +p load, in any caliber. There are many slower burning powders that are more suitable for heavy loads.
There is quite a bit of loading data on the internet, from bullet and powder manufacturers. Use it with the usual precaution of comfirming with a second data source.

Use the low end of the 158gr loads and check for pressure signs. You'll be all right. Some of my home-cast "158" grain bullets go 161 or so, and they work just fine. Bullseye is a GREAT powder for .38 SPL, especially when fired out of a snubby. Bullseye is the most accurate powder in loads for my S&W 642. Good luck.

While I agree that Bullseye is a great propellant for some loads in a .38 (the 2.6 gr. 148-gr. SWC or LWC loads are superbly accurate), I wouldn't use Bullseye for a near-max load with a heavy slug. As a default, I'd look at Unique, though I once got very good results with WW630 and still have some left. (Don't know what the modern day equivalent of 630 happens to be.)

I actually finished loading 'em up last night with a 160 gr. load out of the Lyman's book, after trying 50 test loads. I think the load was 3.4 grains of Bullseye. Worked quite well, and still had a pretty satisfying kick in the Airweight.

Back
Top Bottom