16 year old W231

First, I wish it was scotch....

Just getting back into reloading after years of paying too much at the store. Ordered from Dillion yesterday and hoping to get started in about a week. Mainly 9mm and 45 ACP. Maybe some 556.

I have an unopened tin can of W231 that I bought in, I think, 1998. I am going to try and use it. It has been stored in a cool, dry environment since I got it.

Any thoughts?

If it looks normal and doesn't smell odd, should be fine. I have some old Red Dot from that era that I had stored for at least that long that is just fine, and it was half used before it was stored! Not unopened like yours.

If it is still in the sealed tin, it's most likely fine. After my grandfather passed we found some powders that were a minimum of 15 years old. So far the two of the six that have been opened turned out perfect according to the family member that got them.

I used an old sealed can of 2400 once with good results. The can was a metal cube that was made before they used zip codes. That was what, 1964?

Check to see if there are clumps inside of it or rust on the sides which may be a sign of moisture. I'd recommend using a flashlight to look inside of the can and not a lighter.

Check to see if there are clumps inside of it or rust on the sides which may be a sign of moisture. I'd recommend using a flashlight to look inside of the can and not a lighter.
THIS!
Although it seems like common sense, it wouldnt surprise me in the least if someone used a lighter.

Anything older than 12 months has expired send all your powder to me for proper disposal.[wink]

This is also true for primers and because I'm a nice guy I will also pick them up.

Factory .22's have a shelf life of up to two years if you have any of that.[smile]

As long as it passes the usual checks, you should be in business. Like you said, load up a few rounds - use a baseline load to be extra cautious.

Back
Top Bottom