• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2-08-2012 Popup Virus is back again

I don't know if this is connected to this problem, but when I just logged in using IE I got a message that my anti-virus program (Avast) had blocked a malicious URL from loading. The reference to the bad URL was

"http://makemefeel.in/s/ceptlark.php?key"

NES loaded normally, and seems to be operating fine.

Stop using IE. Change to Firefox with the noscript add-on. You're welcome. [grin]

Hmm let me try that...

I had gotten the virus warning and got redirected to twitter also. Using FireFox, I will add the noscript add-on.

Hmm let me try that...

I had gotten the virus warning and got redirected to twitter also. Using FireFox, I will add the noscript add-on.

It will be a bit of a pain for you at first, because you will need to allow the base domains of the regular sites you visit. One quick tip is that as you view the list of scripts for each page (options button on lower right of screen) if you mouse over one and press down on your mouse wheel, you will get a new page that lets you find out more before deciding whether to allow or not. Very handy.

If you're going to try firefox, another great add on is adblock plus.

Last edited:
This time around the virus attack is a bit different. My anti-virus sees it attacking two times per page and being denied two times in a row until I click the next page and then it happens twice again...and so on. Yes it's IE

It will be a bit of a pain for you at first, because you will need to allow the base domains of the regular sites you visit. One quick tip is that as you view the list of scripts for each page (options button on lower right of screen) if you mouse over one and press down on your mouse wheel, you will get a new page that lets you find out more before deciding whether to allow or not. Very handy.

If you're going to try firefox, another great add on is adblock plus.

This is working well so far, yes bit of a learning curve for it so I don't exclude a site that I actually did want but does not seem too hard to get it right.
Thanks for the recommendation.

This is working well so far, yes bit of a learning curve for it so I don't exclude a site that I actually did want but does not seem too hard to get it right.
Thanks for the recommendation.

You're entirely welcome. No browser is perfect, but I have been very happy with this. I also use the add-ons webmail ad blocker, reminderfox, and simple timer + clocks.

Stop using IE. Change to Firefox with the noscript add-on. You're welcome. [grin]

Actually, I've been using Firefox and Thunderbird (for email) for many years. I reserve IE almost exclusively for my gun stuff. For some reason, IE does a better job at displaying inline pics on NES. Firefox was frequently giving me the cute little box with the "x" in it.

I suppose if I really wanted to beat myself up, I could go back to Netscape Navigator. [laugh]

Is there a reason why this nuisance is happening priodically? Anyway, thanks for getting on top of the problem very quickly again.

I've been on NES a few times today using IE (dont have a choice, I'm at work) and I havent had any problems.

I deeply apologize for this. Issues with the ad server for the top banner ads.

Those responsible (myself) have served their lashings and remedied the issue, permanently. :)

Last edited:

Those responsible have served their lashing and remedied the issue, permanently.

No apologies needed. You guys have been great handling this site. Thank you.

Those responsible (myself) have served their lashings and remedied the issue, permanently. :)

No worries; this is a great site and the people who keep it going have my sincere thanks.

That explains it! My Firefox Ad Blocker add-on was killing all the ads before I could even see them, so that's why I never got the notifications. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom