I haven't seen any because I always ordered the service grade ones. I'm dropping an order in the mail tomorrow for a field grade. I read their description and it is worst case so that should be as bad as they will be. They do take returns on examples if they are worse than described.

The general census from the old gents I talk with deep into the CMP
1. Dont bother with rack grade unless you hace a project in mind
2. field grade are iffy and dont expect more than just a plinker
3. Service grade best bet dollar for dollar( I have a 1942 and 1952 SA)
Now theres been a little hahdo over the Service grade specials and the CMP specials but in the end they all seem to say the same thing.
SERVICE GRADE SPECIAL: Best bang for the buck on a good collectable gun find correct stock for it and you have a really nice peice that will only increase in value.
CMP Special: Best buy for a like new gun. New barrel(lots of argument waether or not these barrels are any good accuracy wise) refinished , all parts with in specs,new wood, case and sling. I have been pondering a CMP special and might order one soon before the prices go up. Also Im sure these will need the same treatment as any Garand to squeeze the most accuracy out of it. Including stock fit, little trigger work. I would expect the gas cylender to be tight though.

Right now there is much pickings on the service grade M1 and when they come back on line they will be more money.

Last edited:
If It's only one go for the top one. The $1100.00 one they are very nice. The F. grade Is good I just got one the bore is just ok. I got two correct grades one HRA and one Springfield They were mint. I would buy what you can afford. You will get better deals from Cmp.

If I did nt have 3 young kids and a hectic work schedule I would love to go to the north store. About 10 hour drive for me

I got a Springfield service grade about a year and a half ago and love it. Barrel from the '50s but gauges and looks brand new. Metal looks great. Stock is a replacement but looks good.

With that said, I was at Camp Perry for nationals over the summer and had a look at the rifles on the rack. I was hoping to get lucky with a field grade but based on what I saw there I left empty handed. None of the service grades looked nearly as nice as mine and the field grades were REALLY beat up. Take it for what it's worth but personally I'd be pissed to order a field grade and get one of the ones that was on the rack at Perry.

Field grades are fine.

Don't get me wrong, a field grade will still be safe and will function. It won't win any beauty contests and is not likely to be very accurate. If you're thinking about sending it to Dean's at some point it's probably not a bad deal. If you want one that'll look decent and shoots under minute of mattress out of the box you might be disappointed.

On the CMP site it looks like the only service grades they have are "special" new production wood on service grade garands. For $100 more you can get a special grade which is like a new rifle. I don't know what one to get.

Last edited:
On the CMP site it looks like the only service grades they have are "special" new production wood on service grade garands. For $100 more you can get a special grade which is like a new rifle. I don't know what one to get.

Well, that explains the condition of the service grade rifles I saw at Perry. They must have been the bottom of the barrel....

I guess in this case I'd probably buy a "special" and hope to find a decent original stock somewhere. The repro stocks are serviceable / functional / etc, but they don't look quite the originals. They appeared to be over-sized in that they're "fatter" around the recover area and in some cases overlapped the but plate. Also they obviously don't have original patina. I'm sure they'd look great with some careful fitting, sanding, and finishing but I wouldn't know where to start. [grin]

For the extra $100 bucks you get a brand new barrel that should shoot decent. If you go with the cheaper one you might get a great old barrel or you might get one that's pretty long in the tooth. Luck of the draw.

The other option would be to get a field grade (with reasonable expectations in mind,) shoot it now, and send it out to have it rebuilt at some point in the future.

EDIT: Maybe those repro stocks are "correct" depending on which manufacturer we're talking about. I don't really know, I just know that they didn't look like mine. Some interesting pictures here: http://www.trfindley.com/pgm1stkid.html

Last edited:
So should I get the service special or the all new special grade? It seems since the service grade comes with a new stock and accesories anyway, why not just pay the extra $100 and get a "new" special rifle with rfinished reciever. It's not going to have any history but it looks like all of those rifles are long gone and I'm real late to the game.

So should I get the service special or the all new special grade? It seems since the service grade comes with a new stock and accesories anyway, why not just pay the extra $100 and get a "new" special rifle with rfinished reciever. It's not going to have any history but it looks like all of those rifles are long gone and I'm real late to the game.

The $100 gets you a brand new barrel vs. "luck of the draw" with an old barrel. (You're unlikely to get an original barrel anyway so personally I'd go for the new one.)

What about the correct grade in terms of quality and history. I will most likely want to shoot it but probably not a whole lot. Any knowledge on that grade?

What about the correct grade in terms of quality and history. I will most likely want to shoot it but probably not a whole lot. Any knowledge on that grade?

My understanding is that they're all post Korean war rifles. The quality is probably very good, but there's not much historical appeal to me personally.

I would, but I'm just one guy.

I did some quick searching on the correct grade and some people were disappointed with the stock and finish. So now I'm sure I'll go with the special, I don't want to fork over $800 and then get unlucky. Maybe somewhere down the line I can pick up a good collector M1. Again, thanks for the help.

seeing its not all about price

shooting :CMP special
collecting: Service Grade special or Correct grade
I think if you priced out buying a field grade and shipping it out to be refinished it wouldnt be as affordable as the CMP special?
will a CMP Special be more accurate than a CMP service grade or a service grade special out of the box from cmp, Im guessing only marginal?
CMP Service grade specials are not far off from being correct grade minus the stock and wear ??????

seeing its not all about price

shooting :CMP special
collecting: Service Grade special or Correct grade
I think if you priced out buying a field grade and shipping it out to be refinished it wouldnt be as affordable as the CMP special?

Yes, you'd be paying a lot more.

will a CMP Special be more accurate than a CMP service grade or a service grade special out of the box from cmp, Im guessing only marginal?

Depends on the barrel you get. Luck of the draw really. I would think that ~in general~ a new barrel will shoot better than an old worn barrel.

CMP Service grade specials are not far off from being correct grade minus the stock and wear ??????

Correct grade just means it has all parts from the same manufacturer. They've been banging around an armory or in a crate somewhere for 50+ years so they're not necessarily going to be pretty.

All of the other grades are likely to have mixed parts and have been through at least one rebuild. It's part of the rifle's history in my opinion and is not a bad thing.

http://forums.thecmp.org/ tons of this discussion on here. If I can sell enough stuff between now and the 1st im ordering a CMP special. I will have a head to head with my best shooting SA service grade 1942

http://www.dgrguns.com/0-main-page-services.htm good idea of what you would be looking at for a refinish.

I might at some point get some fancy wood put on one of my garands......

Last edited:
I got a field grade a few months ago. The wood is beat up but the metal is in great shape. It shoots well at 100 yards and functions great. Plus I can always switch out the wood and barrell if I want it Pretty.

I got a field grade a few months ago. The wood is beat up but the metal is in great shape. It shoots well at 100 yards and functions great. Plus I can always switch out the wood and barrell if I want it Pretty.

This is a good point. Pretty much any barrel should at least hold black at 100 yards as long as it's serviceable. The imperfections and wear in the barrel really start to matter more the further back you go.

I have a question on the CMP eligibility requirement, I read the sticky here and on the CMP site but I just want to clarify. In the sticky the text "Concealed Carry License. " is in bold. Does that mean with my LTC-A I don't need any clinic or competition papers? And once my GOAL papers come in I should be good to go? Thanks.

I have a question on the CMP eligibility requirement, I read the sticky here and on the CMP site but I just want to clarify. In the sticky the text "Concealed Carry License. " is in bold. Does that mean with my LTC-A I don't need any clinic or competition papers? And once my GOAL papers come in I should be good to go? Thanks.

Yes, sir. Photocopy of your LTC-a license and GOAL membership card will satisfy the requirement.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

Back
Top Bottom