• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The southeastern Mass iDAS/Nexedge network is up-and-running now. 145.28 is in Taunton in digital mode only. 145.32 in Swansea is running in digital only mode with huge coverage. 147.315 in Plymouth is running in mixed mode (analog or digital). We have the linking equipment and expect to link next year, once the good weather returns.

n1oty, could you educate this new ham on iDAS/Nextedge and what it means to tyipcal hams? A little googling tells me it's a digital mode/protocal. Is it something us "civilians" are likely to use?

n1oty, could you educate this new ham on iDAS/Nextedge and what it means to tyipcal hams? A little googling tells me it's a digital mode/protocol. Is it something us "civilians" are likely to use?

Nexedge/iDAS equipment can be used for analog FM and digital FM comms. It uses the same vocoder (AMBE+2) that was recently adopted for the newly upgraded P25 public safety radios and MotoTrbo radios. Nexedge/iDAS uses a four FSK modulation scheme similar to the new P25 standard, except the four frequencies are grouped closer together, hence allowing digital voice to take place in a narrower bandwidth. One of the major design parameters of the AMBE+2 vocoder was improved voice modulation with improved noise rejection. The railroads have adopted iDAS/Nexedge as their standard. I like to tell everyone that iDAS/Nexedge gives most of the advantages of P25 radios in a significantly cheaper package. We are able to get 2 meter digital radios brand new for less than $500.

{back to the topic}
n1oty, thanks for that good explanation. It looks like something I won't be encountering at my current level in this sport, but it's good to keep up with current events. One thing is for sure with amateur radio, I'll never run out of things to learn.

{back to the topic}
n1oty, thanks for that good explanation. It looks like something I won't be encountering at my current level in this sport, but it's good to keep up with current events. One thing is for sure with amateur radio, I'll never run out of things to learn.

Exactly...for the most part, as I was reading that, in my head all I heard was, "honk, honk, honk...2m radios for under 500 bucks."