-

Thanks Ski. I was thinkin about getting 1500 rounds. You think I should get 2 golden tiger cases and 1 brown bear, or just go with 3 golden tiger?

(PM sent)

Ive been calling my local stores and managed to track down a couple of brands for what I believe to be a pretty good deal for 7.62x39 ammo. For 500 rounds Ive found: Brown Bear for 109$, Golden Tiger for 99$, and Ulyanovsk for 99$ as well.

I am planning on shooting this with my Norinco SKS and have never tried any of these brands. Anyone have any suggestions/experience on these 3 brands?

You're gtg with the brown bear. The golden tiger has a good rep as well. I have no personal experience nor have I read others with the ulyanovsk. Those are decent prices too. I'm quite sure the store near me was selling similar brands for significantly more.

Do you happen to live in SE MA? If so could you pm me as well, i just bought an SKS as well and would love to get my hands on some ammo for that price

Golden Tiger works just fine. Brown Bear is okay, too, but that's based on seeing others shoot it (can't say that I've actually bought/fired it). I haven't fired the new incarnation of Uly..., but the older packaged product works fine. Silver Bear works okay, the zinc plating tends to oxidize after short-term storage, but shoots just fine. For the money, any of the steel-cased and brass berdan-primed surplus products seem to function just fine. The only drawback is the relative inability to reload, if that ever becomes a consideration. Most of my empty 39mm brass gets reloaded with lead-free frangibles.

Last edited:
for plinking fun those are good prices. The Combloc battle rifles eat all of this stuff very well. Other than worn out, I have yet seen a SKS not feed any of the steelcase cheaper ammo. Some smell worse than others after its fired. I have some bulgarian or romanian ammo that is just horrible stench, I only shoot it in the winter when there is a breeze.

I have reloading dies for 7.62x39......but the cost of bullets and powder makes the cheap ammo well worth it.

I've shot golden tiger, brown, sliver and yesterday remington through my AK and they all worked fine. My local Walmart has Tula 7.62 X 39 dirt cheap 20 rounds for $3.99 or $5.99 has anyone tried that ammo?

Last edited:
Yes, the diameter actually. They used to use a small primer, but I heard that was discontinued. I don't know the specific reason for any of this, but I was curious, seeing that I rarely buy factory ammo to check myself.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom