11/12/11 Scholastic Steel Challege match at SIG Academy

The SIG Academy is hosting the Scholastic Steel Challenge (SSC) Fall Classic match 11/12/11 at their facility in Epping, NH, near Manchester. Wayland and Weston plan to send squads to compete. If you'd like to send a squad from your town, all you need is 4 shooters ages 12-20, a coach, and a little paperwork. The SIG Academy will provide guns, if you like. The cost is $10/shooter, plus $13 for ammo if you don't bring your own.

To be an SSC coach in MA, all you need is an LTC and the willingness to organize a team. The SSC program will help you set up and operate your team.

I coach the Wayland Warriors SSC team, and we practice at Harvard Sportsmen's Club most Sundays. Anyone organizing an SSC team or squad is welcome to bring your shooters and join us for practice, as my guests. I'm happy to help teams get started. PM me for details, so we can get the paperwork in order, and so I know what's coming.

We often get kids & parents who have never shot before. I'm an NRA-certified Pistol Instructor and Coach, so I teach the newbies the basics, and we direct them & their parents toward an NRA Basic Pistol class. So new shooters are welcome. They may not win the match, but the experience will be great.

Here is a thread about starting an SSC team. The NES community has been very supportive. We've had generous donations of guns, ammo, shooting gear, reloading gear, etc. Guys dust off gear they've not used in decades, and we put it to work teaching the kids.

Please pass this along to anyone you think might be interested. I encourage forum members to consider coaching kids from your town. We need to get the next generation trained, and SSC is a great way to do that. Our kids learned the basics in SSC, and have gone on to participate in CAS, IPSC, trap, NRA High Power, and CMP matches. They all get their FIDs at 15, and the parents get LTCs. Wayland is a town of 13,000, and this summer our Wayland SSC team has produced over 14 new FIDs and LTCs. One person in every thousand is a decent start in educating the community on firearms. Plus it's a lot of fun.

Please consider volunteering as a coach in your town. If a few folks get together as a town coaching staff, the burden on any one individual is fairly light. Again, feel free to PM me for details.

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider this.
-jpg

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. I had intended to shoot a steel match at the SIG Academy on 11/12 and this post seemed to indicate that the match is a "Scholastic Steel Challenge Match" which might exclude adults. A check with the SIG web site indicates that the 11/12 match is a "Steel Challenge Match" with no mention of the scholastic matches. Please explain.

I'm a little confused. I had intended to shoot a steel match at the SIG Academy on 11/12 and this post seemed to indicate that the match is a "Scholastic Steel Challenge Match" which might exclude adults. A check with the SIG web site indicates that the 11/12 match is a "Steel Challenge Match" with no mention of the scholastic matches. Please explain.

Fred,
From what I've heard The Sig match will still be a 6 stage match open to all.
The squad format was changed to open squadding to accomodate SSC shooters because they only shoot 4 stages.
Paul

Someone needs to give a definitive answer to this as I don't want to drive 3hrs to watch and I was hoping to go. (if work load allows)

I see Paul's answer as
From what I've heard The Sig match will still be a 6 stage match open to all.
So the OP needs to confirm this or can you Paul?

Thanks

I'm the OP. I got a notification about an SSC match. I've requested more info on what else is happening that day. I will post as soon as I get a.response.

I think it's safe to assume the SC and SSC matches will be coincident.

The SIG web site lists the match as six stages open to all, but it will be squadded this time. Registration opens at 8:30, shooting starts at 9:30.

I got the word. It is both a Steel Challenge match and an SSC match.

"One of the good things about SSC is it can be shot concurrently with a regular match so that you don't have to have separate dates for SC and SSC matches. The details of this concurrent SSC match have just been finalized so it has not been updated on the SSC or SIG SAUER Academy Website."

So no one should change their SC plans, unless it's to bring an SSC squad along.

Sorry if I caused any anxiety. I wasn't aware of the concurrent SC match.

Those who will attend, please consider getting involved in SSC in your local community. It's a great way to introduce kids to shooting, and to educate your community from the grass roots up. I'll be happy to help you get started. Just PM me.

-jpg

I spoke with Mike Briggs ([email protected]), the Sig Sauer Academy Match Director about this. Here is his response:
Scott (SSC Director) and I agreed to a maximum of 40 SSC shooters for this year's event, and we have already enrolled 38. We had to limit the amount of SSC participants this year because we are running it concurrently with our regular 6 stage Steel Challenge match. Next year we plan to do a dedicated SSC match where more teams can be involved.

Back
Top Bottom