10th Aniversary of 10/21/98

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Today marks 10 years since former AG Assbargers gun regulations taking effect.
What results does Mass have to show for it?
Reduction in the overall violent crime rate?
No.
Reduction of armed criminals on the streets?
No.
Reduction of illegal guns in our state?
No.
Are school kids any better educated about guns now than 10 years ago?
No.
Reduction in the number of Lawful Gun Dealers?
Yes.
Reduction in number of Gun Makers and Gun Manufacturing jobs in Mass?
Yes.
Reduction in the number of law abiding LTC holders?
Yes.
Increase in number of people leaving Mass for other states that respect their Second Amendment Rights?
Yes.

Today marks 10 years since former AG Assbargers gun regulations taking effect.

Wrong.

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the effective date of Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998. Note the term "Acts," which clearly indicates that it was a STATUTE enacted by the LEGISLATURE.

Harshbarger's regs were FAR more limited and PRECEDED the statute in question.

Wrong.

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the effective date of Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998. Note the term "Acts," which clearly indicates that it was a STATUTE enacted by the LEGISLATURE.

Harshbarger's regs were FAR more limited and PRECEDED the statute in question.

OK, you're right, it was the effective date of Chapter 180, but it was also the day that the AG "Approved Roster" began to be enforced. In fact, I remember distinctly that I purchased a new S&W #2214 on 10/20/98 and the dealer told me "this is your lucky day, I can't sell you this gun tomorrow because it's not on the approved list".

OK, you're right, it was the effective date of Chapter 180, but it was also the day that the AG "Approved Roster" began to be enforced. In fact, I remember distinctly that I purchased a new S&W #2214 on 10/20/98 and the dealer told me "this is your lucky day, I can't sell you this gun tomorrow because it's not on the approved list".

Then the dealer was wrong, as are you. There was and is no "AG 'Approved Roster.'" [rolleyes]

Neither do you have any of the effective dates correct:

16.09: Enforcement Dates

940 CMR 16.00 shall apply as follows:

(1) 940 CMR 16.01, 16.02, and 16.08, and 940 CMR 16.06(1) and (2) shall apply to acts committed or practices in force as of January 15, 1998;

(2) 940 CMR 16.04 and 940 CMR 16.06(3), 16.07(2), (3) and (4) shall apply to acts committed or practices in force as of June 30, 1998; and

(3) 940 CMR 16.03 and 16.05, and 940 CMR 16.07(1) shall apply to acts committed or practices in force as of September 30, 1998.

I bought guns, including a Springfield, in that happy hiatus between 10/20/98 and the issuance of the first roster, which - by statute - triggered the prohibition. True, 2 of the 3 were later placed on the AFR, but I didn't know it then and had the guns all that time.

Bet the guy who bought my Springfield is happy I acted when I did, too. [wink]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom