• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Want to Safely Shoot Steel Targets

We use 3/8 and 1/2 inch ar500 steel. I made single post 2x4 stands for them. A half inch carriage bolt at a slight downward angle holds the steel (the round head of the carriage bolt is key to not having weird deflections). The angle is probably ten degrees, maybe less. The head of the bolt is about five inches out, meaning the steel hangs five inches in front of the 2x4 stand. On the bolt and behind the steel is a 4 inch long piece of washing machine rubber hose, which works as a shock absorber, allowing the steel to move. We shoot at 7 yards with 22, 38, 45 and 357 mag. We never had an issue. I reload, so all our ammo is lead.

I would post a pic but I do not have an online photo album to post to.

I bought the target shapes, but made the stands that hold them up myself. (Except for the full sized popper in the middle - the whole thing was a purchase)

At the time I built these, I was competing in man vs. man steel shoots where the steel had to fall down to be counted (not just hit as in some competitions), so I made my steel in order to practice that.

In hindsight, I should have made them so that they didn't fall - much better for training. I can set the mini poppers so that they won't fall, but I need to redesign the round plates.

I'd suggest not putting your steel on a chain. It will swing around too much to safely make multiple hits on the steel.

There are plenty of places on the web to look at steel target designs and get ideas of your own.

Have fun and stay safe! Steel Company UAE
I'm looking to get some steel targets for some long distance shooting. Ebay has some AR500 steel targets. The 3/8" targets aren't too expensive. I'm curious what calibers this thickness will withstand. For now, it will only be shot with .223rem, .243win, and maybe a buddy's .308win, if it will take it. What calibers would you not shoot it with? They have thicker, but the price goes up pretty fast. I'm trying to get some Canadian BMC armour plates - 3/8" thick 10" X 10", but the guy is being pretty slow to respond. They claim it's held up to calibers up to .338 Lapua. I know they suggest you don't shoot it closer than 100yds. What's the best way to hang it? Chains? Straps? Any creative or light stands. I was going to pretty much make a tall saw-horse and hang it in the middle, so it's portable. I think I've read that some bullets are better for shooting steel without tearing it up. I know not to use steel core or jackets. Are balistic tips, hp's, or soft points better or worse than the other? Any other miscellaneous tips/pics would be appreciated.

I'm looking to get some steel targets for some long distance shooting. Ebay has some AR500 steel targets. The 3/8" targets aren't too expensive. I'm curious what calibers this thickness will withstand. For now, it will only be shot with .223rem, .243win, and maybe a buddy's .308win, if it will take it. What calibers would you not shoot it with? They have thicker, but the price goes up pretty fast. I'm trying to get some Canadian BMC armour plates - 3/8" thick 10" X 10", but the guy is being pretty slow to respond. They claim it's held up to calibers up to .338 Lapua. I know they suggest you don't shoot it closer than 100yds. What's the best way to hang it? Chains? Straps? Any creative or light stands. I was going to pretty much make a tall saw-horse and hang it in the middle, so it's portable. I think I've read that some bullets are better for shooting steel without tearing it up. I know not to use steel core or jackets. Are balistic tips, hp's, or soft points better or worse than the other? Any other miscellaneous tips/pics would be appreciated.
Just go here.

The problem with Amazon or Ebay is that there is less accountability.

I have used Yankee Thunder's stuff for years, and when I had a target have a break after one weekend of use, they replaced free of charge. (was a small stress crack in the mounting ear)

Steel targets are heavy. Are you walking to set them up or can you drive? Is this a place where others might be present to shoot at your targets? I hang my steel from chains. This allows them to hang at a slight angle and swing when hit.

long range as in greater than 500 yards? 3/8 should be fine for those calibers, now if you're thinking sub 500 then I would up it to 1/2". As pointed out steel is heavy and the farther away the larger the target will be. Just something to keep in mind

I don't know about the thickness.

As far as hanging, you have several options ...
Straps or chains work. These are nice since you can also see the target moving after hitting it. They also allow the target to swing back deflecting the bullet away.

You can also hang them at an angle from a 2x4. Some plates designed for target shooting have a metal piece welded on the back that allows the steel target to be placed on a piece of wood. You can see these at your local steel challenge match.

There are different designs, but here is a quick Google search for an example.

Notice it is angled down.
A-Zone-Target-on-Standard-Base-45-1.png

I use these hangers

He also has the full target kits

I'm looking to get some steel targets for some long distance shooting. Ebay has some AR500 steel targets. The 3/8" targets aren't too expensive. I'm curious what calibers this thickness will withstand. For now, it will only be shot with .223rem, .243win, and maybe a buddy's .308win, if it will take it.
I'd shoot all those calibers at AR500 at distance.

I know they suggest you don't shoot it closer than 100yds.
I think that is good advice.

What's the best way to hang it? Chains? Straps? Any creative or light stands. I was going to pretty much make a tall saw-horse and hang it in the middle, so it's portable.
I use to have metal hangers for my rifle steel, but I found that fire hose works much better.

I use sawhorses and take-down frames to hang the steel.

steel target rectangle and plate.JPG

Steel targets rifle grade.jpg

Pistol steel target sawhorse.png

Steel pistol hanger set up.jpg

Steel pistol hanger broken down.jpg

Steel shiloutes.JPG

steel target stand sawhorse.jpg

steel target stand snowshoe feet.JPG

I don't know about the thickness.

As far as hanging, you have several options ...
Straps or chains work. These are nice since you can also see the target moving after hitting it. They also allow the target to swing back deflecting the bullet away.

You can also hang them at an angle from a 2x4. Some plates designed for target shooting have a metal piece welded on the back that allows the steel target to be placed on a piece of wood. You can see these at your local steel challenge match.

There are different designs, but here is a quick Google search for an example.

Notice it is angled down. Houses for sale in Lebanon
View attachment 781430
thank you so much for your suggestion

An interesting side note. All my .223 / 5.56 shooting before yesterday has been using semi-automatic rifles with 18" or shorter barrels. Yesterday, I was shooting .223 out of a 22" bolt action, and the impact points were much more notable with deeper craters (1/2" AR500 targets @ 100 yds).

Back
Top Bottom