• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When you own lake property, you really have no expectation of privacy in your back yard.

I would just ignore the idiots yelling and keep fishing. That would piss them off even more.

A friend bought a place up in Maine, NW of Portland on a decent sized lake. Come Summer, the neighbor has his sailboat put in and anchors it to the float literally midway offshore from my friend’s shore. When the wind turns the sailboat, it blocks access to his dock.

He asks the neighbor if he might dock the boat to one of the floats in front of his own shore and the neighbor says the formers owners said it was OK, but moved the sailboat. But still sometimes moors it in front of his shore. The last thing my friend wants to do it get in a pissing match with a neighbor as they are otherwise frIendly. Yet to be resolved this 2nd Summer.

Our SoNH neighborhood was a segment of property a NH native landowner had sold for development, 1/2mi into the woods off 114N at the Bedford/Goffstown border. Our first year, we saw a truck parked in front of our house. Later, a few guys in orange camp come walking through our backyard from the abandoned fields behind our house, also owned by that NH family, down our driveway and head for the truck. I politely let them know I don’t want them walking on my property and that it’s a private development, so they can’t park here either. There are No Trespassing signs at the field edge facing the field at the stone wall marking my property boundary. They get all pissy, saying the landowner gave them permission to hunt here for the past 20 years, it’s a public street, etc., and drive off. I call an officer with our PD I know with the plate number, who says they’ll have a chat with the guys.

The next week, the truck is back, so I call the officer back, who confirms that the owner was advised on trespass, so the PD come out and waits for them to issue a summons. Last I saw of them.

People can be real dicks…
So you live in the woods and they were just passing through to hunt? They should have asked permission so F them, but for me I would not have called po-po. I received a similar story from a guy actually settling down to hunt on my back 40. Introduced myself, asked who TF was he, and after a brief conversation said it was OK to pass through but not hunt.

Meanwhile, in Alaska. Halibut Cove is 100 miles SW of Anchorage. Edit - dupe!

Meanwhile, in Alaska. Halibut Cove is 100 miles SW of Anchorage. Edit - dupe!

https://www.northeastshooters.com/x...floatplane-shuttle-owner.438338/#post-8035145 [wink]

So you live in the woods and they were just passing through to hunt? They should have asked permission so F them, but for me I would not have called po-po. I received a similar story from a guy actually settling down to hunt on my back 40. Introduced myself, asked who TF was he, and after a brief conversation said it was OK to pass through but not hunt.
Is your property posted? Is it in nh?

It is legal to hunt non posted private property in nh.

Out bass fishing tonight with my son on a lake in the canoe some guy had the audacity to ask me to move because he wanted privacy for his fire pit with his drinking buds. I couldn't believe it. I've been fishing this lake since 1996 and not once had anyone say "hey can you go fish somewhere else?" He was polite but wicked condescending. He wouldn't give up after I said I'll be done soon. So I said "what's the law that says I can't fish here?" He gets all pissy pants and mopes away. Then says "Oh you're gonna be like that huh? What's the law huh?" Keep in mind I'm 30 yards from the shore. I started paddling away after a few more fish. Every five feet I yelled at him. "Hey is this far enough? How bout now? Am I still bothering you? What about know is this good?" I can't wait to go there tomorrow night and spend 4 hours fishing in front of his house. Anyone else ever get shit like that out fishing?

View: https://youtu.be/kUmgZpKth-c
Right along the water line, then right across the middle. ;)

Is your property posted? Is it in nh?

It is legal to hunt non posted private property in nh.
Not in NH, but yes- posted. Also I could see the dipshit through the trees from my house, so he was likely too damn close by Mass law anyway. Not really my main point, which is mostly that I'm not fan of calling the cops in such a situation.

I’m the blue dot - they were goose hunting in the small field behind (just NW of blue dot). It was an old cornfield then and they were shooting geese passing low to check out the surrounding cornfields. A shot goose had crash landed in a neighbor’s aboveground pool during a kid’s birthday party the year before we moved in, so the neighborhood posted the whole HOA property.

Our HOA owns a lot of woods around the 19-home development, which we posted. We get people parking right by the signs to hunt - I just leave a note on the windshield but other neighbors call the cops. The bigs woods at the top center is another owner’s property and posted as well, to keep the St Anselm’s College kids out (they buy beer at the Ivging/Circle K by 114) as well as the US Secret Service ATVs that comb the woods during NH Primary season every 4 years (that’s a long story - the candidates all debate at St Anselm’s NH Institute of Politics, just through the woods).

The first winter, we had snowmobiles come down my street from the pole line and up the drainage gully between my house and the neighbor’s house. One rolled his snowmobile and couldn’t get it out as the gully is steep-sided and was drifted deep. I got home from work to find a truck in my driveway with guys trying to pull it out. I said, get it done and don’t come back - it’s a private neighborhood. There was no way to get a snowmobile through the thick woods had they made it into my backyard - it’s was not an “old trail”.

People just have to update their thinking when the woods they knew turn into housing developments. Everybody’s yard was once woods/fields…

1311FAA6-8085-45F3-A80E-65B6BA826A30.png

I’m the blue dot - they were goose hunting in the small field behind (just NW of blue dot). It was an old cornfield then and they were shooting geese passing low to check out the surrounding cornfields. A shot goose had crash landed in a neighbor’s aboveground pool during a kid’s birthday party the year before we moved in, so the neighborhood posted the whole HOA property.

Our HOA owns a lot of woods around the 19-home development, which we posted. We get people parking right by the signs to hunt - I just leave a note on the windshield but other neighbors call the cops. The bigs woods at the top center is another owner’s property and posted as well, to keep the St Anselm’s College kids out (they buy beer at the Ivging/Circle K by 114) as well as the US Secret Service ATVs that comb the woods during NH Primary season every 4 years (that’s a long story - the candidates all debate at St Anselm’s NH Institute of Politics, just through the woods).

The first winter, we had snowmobiles come down my street from the pole line and up the drainage gully between my house and the neighbor’s house. One rolled his snowmobile and couldn’t get it out as the gully is steep-sided and was drifted deep. I got home from work to find a truck in my driveway with guys trying to pull it out. I said, get it done and don’t come back - it’s a private neighborhood. There was no way to get a snowmobile through the thick woods had they made it into my backyard - it’s was not an “old trail”.

People just have to update their thinking when the woods they knew turn into housing developments. Everybody’s yard was once woods/fields…

View attachment 655358
Gotcha. It's a neighborhood, it's posted, and they ignored that.

LOL I would have laughed but Mrs. Mountain would be furious and out for blood if a shot goose crashed a kids' B-day party.

Gotcha. It's a neighborhood, it's posted, and they ignored that.

LOL I would have laughed but Mrs. Mountain would be furious and out for blood if a shot goose crashed a kids' B-day party.
The Mom’s were all dealing with crying kids. The Dad’s were all discussing whether the pool filter would get the blood out. They decided a chlorine shock and filtration would do it but the Mom’s demanded a complete drain, hose-down and refill. The story only gets better with time…

If he wants privacy, tell him to put up a curtain To block the view of the pond.

I have waterfront in the back as well and have seen everything. Years ago, I even saw a young lesbian couple strip their clothes and lay on top of each other in the sun (true story!).

To OP, I would keep fishing there. You have free entertainment every time. 😈
We need video to judge guilt.

If someone camping out in front of my dock/house on a pond bothered me that much I’d go down to the shoreline w a rod and start plunking lures around their boat. Or maybe throwing rocks in the water. I lived on a pond for 14 years, ex & kids still live there and I can use it whenever I like and I have never had to resort to that. Occasionally someone will get a little close to shore w their boat than they need to be but they’re never there long. There is no public access so not much fishing pressure at all.

When you own lake property, you really have no expectation of privacy in your back yard.

I would just ignore the idiots yelling and keep fishing. That would piss them off even more.
This....my wife said she wanted a lake property once, and I said really, you want people in boats in our backyard looking in the windows, partying and fishing?

Yeah....no.

I've seen these fags getting mad at guys cause they were throwing baits near their dock or near their expensive boat. All I can say to them is.....you don't own the water, as long as the guy doesn't hit your boat, or dock you can't say shit.

Last edited:
If someone camping out in front of my dock/house on a pond bothered me that much I’d go down to the shoreline w a rod and start plunking lures around their boat. Or maybe throwing rocks in the water. I lived on a pond for 14 years, ex & kids still live there and I can use it whenever I like and I have never had to resort to that. Occasionally someone will get a little close to shore w their boat than they need to be but they’re never there long. There is no public access so not much fishing pressure at all.
Lake people can be like the guy who buys a house next to a shooting range then complains about noise.....

Honestly.....my assumption is that someone will be an a**h*** and camp their boat right behind my lake house and look in with binoculars and have every legal right to do so. That and the fact that you can't usually do shit as far as building and doing stuff on your property when you own lakefront is the sole reason I'll never buy it. And the taxes are high....and the same lake gets boring.

So that's why i would never buy a lake house.......

But......

Throwing rocks at them?? Really?

To close to shore than they "need" to be? They need to be wherever in the water they want to be as long as they are in the water. 1 foot off your shore is where they need to be...then legally they can stay there for who knows how long.

Again....most people wouldn't do that, are ethical, and respectful and all that.......... but when push comes to shove you don't own the water, and you will lose that battle all day long.
Why people buy properties like that then sit their and complain about boats/fishing/partying, camping out on the lake behind their house....I have no idea.

You want privacy....I suggest posted private land. Its usually cheaper too without the lakefront.

Last edited:
So what is proper?
I was at a friend of mines place on a big lake, skinny lot with house, small beach, dock. Lake is probably 3/4 mile long, each nite someone parks 20' in front of his Dock and proceeds to fish, and yes casting towards his expensive boat.
It is a public lake but christ have some respect, friend owns maybe 75' of frontage and has to look at this each evening. There are many sections with no houses/camps. He doesnt say anything but at some point he will have enough.
Proper and legal are two different things. Legal is what he has to understand, especially if there is a good fishing hole 20 feet off his dock. Just because there are no camps other places, probably means there aren't fish there either. People fish where there are fish and fish structure....if that's around your dock. Sucks to be you if you don't like it.

Lake people can be like the guy who buys a house next to a shooting range then complains about noise.....

Honestly.....my assumption is that someone will be an a**h*** and camp their boat right behind my lake house and look in with binoculars and have every legal right to do so. That and the fact that you can't usually do shit as far as building and doing stuff on your property when you own lakefront is the sole reason I'll never buy it. And the taxes are high....and the same lake gets boring.

So that's why i would never buy a lake house.......

But......

Throwing rocks at them?? Really?

To close to shore than they "need" to be? They need to be wherever in the water they want to be as long as they are in the water. 1 foot off your shore is where they need to be...then legally they can stay there for who knows how long.

Again....most people wouldn't do that, are ethical, and respectful and all that.......... but when push comes to shove you don't own the water, and you will lose that battle all day long.
Why people buy properties like that then sit their and complain about boats/fishing/partying, camping out on the lake behind their house....I have no idea.

You want privacy....I suggest posted private land. Its usually cheaper too without the lakefront.
Rocks on the water to scare the fish away, not at them. And I have never done it, but if someone was truly being a dick, repeatedly getting hooked on my dock, etc. I might consider it. I have seen people who purposely land their lures on docks in order to try and get them to drop in the water as close to the dock as possible, or flip jigs under docs with people on them, etc. - on the bigger local lake nearby.

I am well aware of the privacy issues owning waterfront, I have done it and it's never been a problem. Then again, there was no public access so there were only a limited number of people who had access and everyone owned on the pond so it wouldn't be in anyone's best interests to be a dick.

I don't think it would be in anyone's interest to start whipping rocks in the water where someone was fishing whether or not the lake was public per Mass law. I believe that would be harassment.
I believe I also said I might go plunk some lures in the water, then I'm fishing too. And I didn't see anywhere in the MGL link that says one can't throw or skip rocks in the water off their dock because someone might be fishing nearby. I certainly wouldn't be worried about being prosecuted for it.

Why does it always have to end up in nitpicking absolutism on NES? JFC I said I MAYBE, IF, not that I have done it in fact I said it has never gotten to that point. But, if someone was being an asshat around my dock, then I will ruin their fishing experience. Maura, did you hear that? I'm on record saying so. :rolleyes:

My reply to anyone who’s ever busted balls like that usually goes “I’m sorry but I don’t speak English” in perfect English. People have no idea how to respond to that whether it’s a tourist asking for directions, a bum asking for change, or a Karen. The stupefied looks are priceless.

Why does it always have to end up in nitpicking absolutism on NES?
It wouldn't be NES without nitpicking absolutism. LOL.

I understand your point and if someone is being a dickhead while fishing or boating they should be treated with equal disrespect. That is fair.

My point really was there are guys out there just fishing around docks, and not even staying there just trolling around, and you see Karen's just giving them a hard time.
Those are the people I'm talking about. And the problem is....these things usually escalate.

Again.....why personally I would not own lake property, along with a host of other non desirables, such as Lake Karen neighbors, not being able to develop or build, or cut trees, high taxes, view taxes...etc. But I list not being able to kick people out of my back yard as #1.

Back
Top Bottom