What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I mostly shoot 9mm out of an open bolt subgun so the round feeds from the magazine and is pushed into the chamber without being grabbed by the extractor. The round goes too far into the chamber to be reached by the firing pin and the gun stops. I guess in a semi auto, the round would be held against the bolt by the extractor and would fire. I don't know what would happen. Probably a bulged or split case.

I visually inspect every 9mm headstamp before it goes onto the press. That way I rule out any 380 and oddball headstamps that have a “step” inside the case. And sort out brass with a crimped primer pocket. I’ve noticed lately Igman (headstamp is “IK” then the year) 9mm brass is crimped

I visually inspect every 9mm headstamp before it goes onto the press. That way I rule out any 380 and oddball headstamps that have a “step” inside the case. And sort out brass with a crimped primer pocket. I’ve noticed lately Igman (headstamp is “IK” then the year) 9mm brass is crimped
What 9mm brass headstamps have you seen with crimped primer pockets? I haven’t come across any yet. Never heard of Igman, but I’ll watch for it.

This is what I *should* do...but manage to talk myself out of it every time. Some batches I look like a winner....but others I'm dealing with nonsense brass issues and disrupting the flow.

45 colt is bane of existence for the 44 mag reloader. Try getting one of those out of a resizing die. f*** my life! 45 colt on the left 44 mag on the right. Almost identical

View attachment 881900
Frustrated World Cup GIF

45 colt is bane of existence for the 44 mag reloader. Try getting one of those out of a resizing die. f*** my life! 45 colt on the left 44 mag on the right. Almost identical

View attachment 881900
I've heard that's a bitch. I've never owned a .44 other than cap n ball.
I have several .45 Colt revolvers and enjoy loading up and shooting that old round.

ETA do you use case lube while loading up .44mag? I use it for .45 Colt otherwise I get random bulges at case head.

I've heard that's a bitch. I've never owned a .44 other than cap n ball.
I have several .45 Colt revolvers and enjoy loading up and shooting that old round.

ETA do you use case lube while loading up .44mag? I use it for .45 Colt otherwise I get random bulges at case head.
I don't lube the cases on 44 mag at all. Tumble in corn cob overnight so they are shiny then load em up. I'm using lee carbide 4 die set. They run thru the reszing die with no problems.

Got to the range yesterday to send some 9mm and 45 ACP downrange ! Nice to be able to do it with just a t-shirt on rather than 4 layers !
Today they hit the tumblers (separately !) First the treated walnut and then the fine corncob !! It warms the cockles of my heat to see really shiny brass !!!!

So

Light loads and dead space.
I'll use .38 spl as an example because I don't have to rely on recoil to operate a slide.
So the charge of Bullseye I'm using for 160's seems to also be a super light load for a 90 and 105 gr, which leads me to believe there could be quite a bit of dead space.

From what I've read, using a cardboard wad or cotton ball will take up some of that deadspace and keep the gunpowder down towwrds the primer without creating this huge pressure spike but still push the bullet down the barrel.
Looking at the velocity, I could probably throw them just as fast.

So for taking up deadspace, or for making some kind of wad, has anyone ever used for a filler..........

Stripper glitter

I'm making 300 Savage from 308 Winchester. I'm using new Starline brass I picked up at Bass Pro on sale. I've done a few and it's going well. I'm waiting for a headspace gauge set to be delivered today so I can compare to some new Remington factory 300 rounds I paid over $60 for a box... After I see if they chamber ok l will load and shoot a few to compare those as well and see how they form to my 1930 model 99 takedown. Then I'll setup my sizing die accordingly for the next batch.

Back
Top Bottom