Registering completed AR-15 build?

Hey guys,

I just finished my AR-15 build. I wanted to submit the FA-10 for it online. I assume I need to select the "registration" option, but its asking for seller information and the serial number of the weapon. Is this the correct part I need to do to register it? The lowers are already registered to me and I am not selling the ar-15. I tried looking around the forums but couldn't find anything that specifically guided me on how to do this. I just want to make sure I am not doing the wrong one. Thanks!

Do you even have to do that if the lower is already registered?

When you buy a stripped lower it should not be registered in MIRCS (the Massachusetts system) as it is not a rifle per MA law (see quote below from MGL ch 140 sec 121). The general consensus is that once you build it so it is a rifle according to the law, you need to register it.

“Rifle”, a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

When you buy a stripped lower it should not be registered in MIRCS (the Massachusetts system) as it is not a rifle per MA law (see quote below from MGL ch 140 sec 121). The general consensus is that once you build it so it is a rifle according to the law, you need to register it.

I agree, BUT if a dealer registered the Frame/Lower with a bbl length >0" and caliber, FRB wouldn't know that it was bogus and you are already in the system. In that case (and only in that case), personally I would NOT re-register it once it is built even if bbl length or caliber is different. [Unrelated but illustrative example: I bought a T/C Contender frame and 2 bbls back in the late 1970s. My FA-10 registered it was a .44Mag, 10" bbl. That bbl has NEVER once been on that gun, I installed the .357Mag bbl when I got it home and it is still configured that way. I could buy and install 14" bbls of all different calibers on that frame and no way in hell do I have to re-register it each time I change the configuration. I know this isn't exactly the same but the T/C was a "Lego's kit" just like the AR-15 is today.]

No matter what computer you are using SAVE IT TO A PDF FIRST!!!!

There is no "going back", you only get one chance to save it. Then you can print it whenever/wherever you want.

I agree, BUT if a dealer registered the Frame/Lower with a bbl length >0" and caliber, FRB wouldn't know that it was bogus and you are already in the system. In that case (and only in that case), personally I would NOT re-register it once it is built even if bbl length or caliber is different.

I'm in that situation - bought an Anderson lower from FS. The FA-10 says 00.00 for barrel length, 5.56 rifle, large capacity, black. Perhaps I will get a call or visit some day for having a SBR.[hmmm]

Don't register it on apple/Mac. Comes up with a password protected PDF that can't be opened. If you have no choice save the PDF and open it on a PC.

if you install adobe Reader instead of using Preview it will work. But your point is very valid. Install Adobe Reader before you do the registration.

if you install adobe Reader instead of using Preview it will work. But your point is very valid. Install Adobe Reader before you do the registration.

I was like wtf, my preset was for preview . I emailed them and I got a hard copy sent in the mail. I then realized my mistake and use open with now..

Last edited:
I was like wtf, my ore set was for preview . I emailed them and I got a hard copy sent in the mail. I then realized my mistake and use open with lol .

You can also save the PDF and then send it to another machine if you can't install Adobe. The PDF isn't real special just for some reason OSX's "free" pdf viewer/editor isn't authorized. Probably the state uses Adobe writer to create it and they want to lock it in.

You can also save the PDF and then send it to another machine if you can't install Adobe. The PDF isn't real special just for some reason OSX's "free" pdf viewer/editor isn't authorized. Probably the state uses Adobe writer to create it and they want to lock it in.

Yeah I just thought it was old since I have all adobe programs installed and thought it was odd preview was default for it .

I registered mine on my ipad and got the password protected message. I called them up no answer, left a message and never got a call back. I googled the problem and saw a thread on here about it. Saved/emailed to myself and printed it later on.

Don't register it on apple/Mac. Comes up with a password protected PDF that can't be opened. If you have no choice save the PDF and open it on a PC.

Pdf security settings can be removed in adobe acrobat.
this has nothing to do with mac. Dont blame apple for MIRCS garbage

Pdf security settings can be removed in adobe acrobat.
this has nothing to do with mac. Dont blame apple for MIRCS garbage

It seems to me that it is an "applet" problem. My understanding is that if one installs Adobe Reader on their Mac, this is not a problem at all. If that is true, I'd blame it on lazy Mac users, not on MIRCS or Adobe!

I'm in that situation - bought an Anderson lower from FS. The FA-10 says 00.00 for barrel length, 5.56 rifle, large capacity, black. Perhaps I will get a call or visit some day for having a SBR.[hmmm]
Now I know not to buy a stripped lower from FS.
Do they have a magic crystal ball to determine what caliber the stripped lower will be built to.
Sorry to hear they put you through that BS. I'd call it registered and that's good enough for me.

I had that happen to me too. I bought a stripped lower had to transferd in at a shop in West side. He did the fa10 too with 00.00 for barell length. But clicked "NO" for lrg. capacity. Ect.....

On a related note, I bought a lower on the classifieds at least four years ago. When I found the paperwork recently and looked it over, it appears (and I have a vague recollection of) that the seller filled out and filed the FA-10 while writing the caliber in as "multi". I only have the one faded carbon copy of the form and have never heard anything since. Len, do you think I should try and register it once I go to slap the upper on it? Will I get an odd response if the system already has it on file? Am I opening a can of worms by doing so, or creating a bigger one by doing nothing?

Bahhhhhh bad sheep .... Just kidding .

I know what your saying. In the past I agree. My take, I would even register your lowers soon just in case we get a surprise amendment banning ar 15's. Then your lowers and builds are still good, assuming they grandfather them.

Do you know if the software code is written to reflect this fact?

Not sure what you mean, but you aren't selling anything, correct? You can buy as many guns as you want. Assuming you've bought the lower, and now completed it, you're only registering it.

If your name is in the sellers column, that's when 4 per year comes into play.

I agree, BUT if a dealer registered the Frame/Lower with a bbl length >0" and caliber, FRB wouldn't know that it was bogus and you are already in the system. In that case (and only in that case), personally I would NOT re-register it once it is built even if bbl length or caliber is different. [Unrelated but illustrative example: I bought a T/C Contender frame and 2 bbls back in the late 1970s. My FA-10 registered it was a .44Mag, 10" bbl. That bbl has NEVER once been on that gun, I installed the .357Mag bbl when I got it home and it is still configured that way. I could buy and install 14" bbls of all different calibers on that frame and no way in hell do I have to re-register it each time I change the configuration. I know this isn't exactly the same but the T/C was a "Lego's kit" just like the AR-15 is today.]

Ok, just so I understand. I bought a stripped lower from an FFL (obviously) and on the paperwork they put that the barrel length was 16" and the caliber was 5.56 without any knowledge of the result of my build. Coincidentally I bought a 5.56 chambered 16" upper and have completed my build. With that said, based on the above there is no further "registering" to be done as the FFL helped me tremendously, correct?

Back
Top Bottom