Purchase a lower as a lower or rifle?

LedZep

NES Member
What's the difference or benefits of purchasing a JUST a lower from an FFL "sold as a rifle" or "just a lower receiver". I have the option of one or the other. And I don't understand what the pros and cons of one or the other is. Anyone? Bueller?

I could be wrong. But if a lower was built (sold as) a rifle previously, it can never be a pistol. A "just a lower" could be built as either.

I am not a lawyer and I do not understand a lot of firearm laws, this is just what I have read before.

Unless it’s a complete rifle, it should be sold as an other. Not just benefits, but legally that is the correct thing to do.

The benefits of that, federally, is that you can build it into a pistol first. If you build a pistol first, you can turn it into a rifle and then back into a pistol at will. If you build it as a rifle first, it will forever be a rifle and the only legal way to use a sub-16” barrel is to SBR it.

If you’re in MA, the benefit of transferring it properly as a federal “other” is that it is not firearm according to MA law and no FA-10 is required during the transaction.

Last edited:
Unless it’s a complete rifle, it should be sold as an other. Not just benefits, but legally that is the correct thing to do.

The benefits of that, federally, is that you can build it into a pistol first. If you build a pistol first, you can turn it into a rifle and then back into a pistol at will. If you build it as a rifle first, it will forever be a rifle and the only legal way to use a sub-16” barrel is to SBR it.

If you’re in MA, the benefit of transferring it properly as a federal “other” is that it is not firearm according to MA law and no FA-10 is required during the transaction.
Thank you. If I understand correctly, I can add a short barrel and be fully legal and not have to do an SBR if I get it as lower receiver only. Correct? If so, that's a huge benefit.

Thank you. If I understand correctly, I can add a short barrel and be fully legal and not have to do an SBR if I get it as lower receiver only. Correct? If so, that's a huge benefit.
With certain conditions met. Again, not a lawyer. I think you need to have a brace for it to not be an sbr. In Massachusetts, I think it has to weigh less than 50 oz.

I’m no lawer but I think you are not understanding correct. In mass it’s technically illegal to build a ar pistol because of the weight limitations

I think it’s like 48-50 ounces is the heaviest. I don’t think you can build a ar pistol under that.
Technically the mass portal will let you register as a pistol. And you can throw a short barrel on it. But if you ever got jammed up, technically you would probably be in trouble.

I’m no lawer but I think you are not understanding correct. In mass it’s technically illegal to build a ar pistol because of the weight limitations

I think it’s like 48-50 ounces is the heaviest. I don’t think you can build a ar pistol under that.
Technically the mass portal will let you register as a pistol. And you can throw a short barrel on it. But if you ever got jammed up, technically you would probably be in trouble.
got it. thank you.

Federally, yes. State laws may involve further considerations. Like, in MA you’d need to make it a bolt action AR pistol or use a fixed 10rd mag if you wanted a pistol.

But in a free state, yeah go ahead and turn it into an AR pistol and you can even currently still use braces.

When you live in Massachusetts and own guns you are always asking for trouble :(.

He didn’t say he was in MA.

But you can build an AR pistol in MA if you make it bolt action or a fixed 10rd mag.

A super-light AR pistol is possible, but it turns into a meme.

You can also build an ar pistol in MA if you buy one of those prebans that Dean Safety is selling since they were never registered ad rifles with atf. True virgin prebans (forgive my pants and slippers)

View attachment 881025
My understanding was that if it was never built as a firearm, it can't be preban because it was never assembled in noncompliant configuration. What am I missing?

My understanding …

For the original federal and state interpretations, correct.

According to Healey’s edict, then those stripped, never-built, lowers should be pre-ban. As we all know, MGL text does not support that. But attempted compliance with her edict could be a possible legal defense for someone. I’d definitely save/screenshot all of their statements claiming it is legal.

My understanding was that if it was never built as a firearm, it can't be preban because it was never assembled in noncompliant configuration. What am I missing?
That’s my understanding as well. I assumed those lowers were just stripped down from a complete rifle. Also if they were built by anyone pre 94 then it would be fine with those features. I didn’t think many vendors sold stripped lowers 30 years ago.

That’s my understanding as well. I assumed those lowers were just stripped down from a complete rifle. Also if they were built by anyone pre 94 then it would be fine with those features. I didn’t think many vendors sold stripped lowers 30 years ago.

PWA sold some lowers, and I’m sure others did too. But they’re not common.

Back
Top Bottom