Shooting is just fun

peterk123

NES Member
Every time a go to the range, or our in the field to shoot, I'm like this is the most fun ever. I can't seem to figure out what I like most, rifle, shotgun or pistol.

There is just something about shooting out 300 to 500 yards with a 308 or other big game rifle. Especially when practicing realistic hunting situations. Dialing the scope. Adjusting for wind, then hitting where you intended. Most fun ever.

Well that is until I grab the shotgun and we start launching clays. Just when you think you have it figured out, you try a different angle and the fun/ frustration starts all over. I'm really looking forward to grouse season.

Then there is pistol. Set up some steel or idpa targets and go to town. Shooting while moving. Or on the ground. Two hands. One hand. Weak hand. It's endless. We started doing this again, training for surprise bear attacks. Best time ever.

Until we grabbed the 22 rifles. Talk about high volume practice at low cost. Talk about learning a lot in a short period of time. And the goher hunting rabbit hole I just went down. So much fun.

I'm sure I'm missing many other fun related shooting activities. But what we are doing, and doing often, is just stupid fun.

Do you guys do it all, or just focus on one aspect of the sport?

Every time a go to the range, or our in the field to shoot, I'm like this is the most fun ever. I can't seem to figure out what I like most, rifle, shotgun or pistol.

There is just something about shooting out 300 to 500 yards with a 308 or other big game rifle. Especially when practicing realistic hunting situations. Dialing the scope. Adjusting for wind, then hitting where you intended. Most fun ever.

Well that is until I grab the shotgun and we start launching clays. Just when you think you have it figured out, you try a different angle and the fun/ frustration starts all over. I'm really looking forward to grouse season.

Then there is pistol. Set up some steel or idpa targets and go to town. Shooting while moving. Or on the ground. Two hands. One hand. Weak hand. It's endless. We started doing this again, training for surprise bear attacks. Best time ever.

Until we grabbed the 22 rifles. Talk about high volume practice at low cost. Talk about learning a lot in a short period of time. And the goher hunting rabbit hole I just went down. So much fun.

I'm sure I'm missing many other fun related shooting activities. But what we are doing, and doing often, is just stupid fun.

I try to do it all still. When it gets really windy I will make sure I get on my range and shoot some 5.56 and 308 up to 400... just to see if my holds are still good. On cold rainy days I'll do one hand mag changes... on the ground crawling to cover.... both hands. I will get mud all over everything and do drills. I'll use baby oil on my hands too. If you ever had to patch someone up and fight while you're doing it, you'll always remember how slippery it was.... at least it doesn't smell as bad. One handed big bore revolver drills aren't the most fun but I use the baby oil on those drills too. I do try to make things fun. Old friends drop in sometimes and they really get into it cause they haven't done any real training in forever. I don't miss the glass and rubble. lol

I think it’s okay but not really extremely fun. I like all of the other things I do for fun better. Just being honest here. But to answer your question I enjoy rifle and pistol shooting but I hate shooting shotguns.

Decades ago I lived in the sparsely-populated, ultra-rural high desert of the Pacific Northwest. Hunted often, shot for fun often, bartered guns often. Then I moved back to civilization and got rid of my 16” single shot .30-.30 deerslayer, my Savage .22 over 20 (that harvested countless birds, a few mule deer, and one coyote) and all my oddball rifles and revolvers except for one .44 Special.

If Fox Den hadn't opened within earshot a few years ago I may have never regained my interest, but listening to gunfire every damn weekend started making my trigger finger twitch. A lot. And the missus (MA native) was fully on board so we both got our LTCs.

I've been bubba smithing instead of shooting. Figured out some new skills. I guess if I lived in Montana I'd be taking my projects to the back porch to test-run them but I live 40 minutes from any indoor range, and haven't beat the brush enough to find a nearby club that'll have me. So I break 'em down, slick 'em up, dehorn 'em, spend too much money on grips and holsters, dryfire a lot (sometimes with laser cartridges), and practice my draw.

Yup, guns are fun, even when you can't go shoot them often. Don't see more rifles in my future (just our Heritage revolving carbines) but the missus wants to learn trap shooting. I used to enjoy bird hunting, so 20-gauges are on the list!

And you're just figuring this out now?

I don't shoot as much as I used to, found other things I like doing more (e.g., just bought a new Woodmizer sawmill, do a bunch of haying with a buddy, play farmer with my tractor, putter around with a couple classic vehicles) but when I was in my teens/20s/30s (I am now 56.5) I cannot imagine how many rounds (tens upon tens of thousands) I put through various guns. I also don't hunt as much, but I definitely like taking my favorite guns for a walk in the woods come fall but, for some reason, don't have the desire to kill things as much as I get older. I guess as life goes on, interests change. Glad you are enjoying the shooting sports, life is short, you definitely want to make the best of it and do the things you enjoy doing while you are able.

I love shooting the 870 in 12gauge. Instant stress reliever. I'm a surgeon with the thing. I learned on an 870 in 410, it was my first love.

Yep, same here, but my 870 is in 20 gauge, it is the most "natural" feeling gun that I own. I ended up buying three 870 Wingmasters all in 20 gauge just to have them as backups/spares when I saw Remington going downhill a couple decades ago. I also have one in 12 gauge. Throughout my life I have had various Benellis, Brownings, Winchesters, etc. over/unders, semis, pumps, etc. and I always fall back to the 20 gauge 870. I guess I put so many rounds through them when I was younger that they are just "programmed" into my body/mind.

And you're just figuring this out now?

I don't shoot as much as I used to, found other things I like doing more (e.g., just bought a new Woodmizer sawmill, do a bunch of haying with a buddy, play farmer with my tractor, putter around with a couple classic vehicles) but when I was in my teens/20s/30s (I am now 56.5) I cannot imagine how many rounds (tens upon tens of thousands) I put through various guns. I also don't hunt as much, but I definitely like taking my favorite guns for a walk in the woods come fall but, for some reason, don't have the desire to kill things as much as I get older. I guess as life goes on, interests change. Glad you are enjoying the shooting sports, life is short, you definitely want to make the best of it and do the things you enjoy doing while you are able.

Same here......I shoot a lot more skeet than I ever did because I didn't have the time when kids were growing up and I spent whatever little time I had hunting alot.
Don't have the drive to hunt I used to anymore either. Good hunting is really out of state for deer here and it gets expensive for tags and stuff. I have many heads on the wall have set a lifetime of stands, and I'm ok with just hunting a little now, and rather hunt with someone or a group and see nothing, than bust my ass hunting alone and get a deer.

I was heavy into pistols, and rifles. buying guns and reloading and thought that would be a retirement past time...but its probably not going to be as important as well. I will probably sell off a good chunk of what I have eventually or pass it down as soon as my son decides to settle fully.

The older I get "things", hunting, shooting has become way less important. I don't want to trade time working for things anymore.

Reliable car to drive, a few guns to shoot, and a non fancy small house to live in is all I need now.......

Most important with my kids out of state is spending time with them and helping them out now. When/If grandkids come.....that will be a focus as well. Never ever thought I say that when I was younger.....I was always trying to find more time to hunt, fish and shoot.

I still have a dream of buying some land for a cabin...but its a secondary goal. I can always go on a trip pretty much......and not be locked into one spot. Right now kids need to work out where they want to be and we will follow I think. Might take a few years.

Last edited:
Yep, same here, but my 870 is in 20 gauge, it is the most "natural" feeling gun that I own. I ended up buying three 870 Wingmasters all in 20 gauge just to have them as backups/spares when I saw Remington going downhill a couple decades ago. I also have one in 12 gauge. Throughout my life I have had various Benellis, Brownings, Winchesters, etc. over/unders, semis, pumps, etc. and I always fall back to the 20 gauge 870. I guess I put so many rounds through them when I was younger that they are just "programmed" into my body/mind.
Same thing with me and Ithaca 37's. Just love them.

Same here......I shoot a lot more skeet than I ever did because I didn't have the time when kids were growing up and I spent whatever little time I had hunting alot.
Don't have the drive to hunt I used to anymore either. Good hunting is really out of state for deer here and it gets expensive for tags and stuff. I have many heads on the wall have set a lifetime of stands, and I'm ok with just hunting a little now, and rather hunt with someone or a group and see nothing, than bust my ass hunting alone and get a deer.

I was heavy into pistols, and rifles. buying guns and reloading and thought that would be a retirement past time...but its probably not going to be as important as well. I will probably sell off a good chunk of what I have eventually or pass it down as soon as my son decides to settle fully.

The older I get "things", hunting, shooting has become way less important. I don't want to trade time working for things anymore.

Reliable car to drive, a few guns to shoot, and a non fancy small house to live in is all I need now.......

Most important with my kids out of state is spending time with them and helping them out now. When/If grandkids come.....that will be a focus as well. Never ever thought I say that when I was younger.....I was always trying to find more time to hunt, fish and shoot.

I still have a dream of buying some land for a cabin...but its a secondary goal. I can always go on a trip pretty much......and not be locked into one spot. Right now kids need to work out where they want to be and we will follow I think. Might take a few years.
One daughter followed us. The other is a six hour drive away. So I can relate. My son in law loves to hunt. Since he lives next door, I have a dedicated hunting buddy. My wife loves shooting as well. And because of where we live now, a whole new world of opportunities have opened up. And firearms are such a big part of the culture here.

Same thing with me and Ithaca 37's. Just love them.

Awesome guns as well, I've always wanted one in 20 gauge but never got around to getting one, been tempted to order one with AAA walnut but not sure they (latest company) are making them or even in business?

Just like @tinhorn, decades ago I got into shooting in the PNW with access to very unpopulated areas. Loved carrying one of my Ruger Single-Sixes with either Mini-Mags or Magnums. I'm still in the habit of buying Mini-Mags buy the case. I have lots of different .22 actions available, revolvers and rifles, for new shooters to try. Let them find what they like and you can shoot all day long without breaking the bank.

I an not a hunter, nor am I schooled in that art - but I am wondering, is a .308 a "big game" caliber?

Last edited:

Same here. I have downsized considerably over the past 10 years, I've owned 200+ guns over the years and am now down to around 50. I will probably whittle that down to 25-30. I know people say you should never sell guns and you'll regret it if you do but, except for maybe a couple, I have no regrets. There are definitely ones that I have now that I won't sell, and will pass down to my nephews and nieces someday. I've taken the money from what I sold and bought the 76 Scout and 72 Jimmy that I (and my wife) really enjoy owning/using, more so than safes full of guns.

Awesome guns as well, I've always wanted one in 20 gauge but never got around to getting one, been tempted to order one with AAA walnut but not sure they (latest company) are making them or even in business?

My 20 is my favorite....got that one for 75 bucks with a horribly shortened stock.

I put a new A grade walnut stock on and finished it and its been my go to pheasant gun for 5 years now. 26" barrel, 6 pounds and cycles like a dream

Same here. I have downsized considerably over the past 10 years, I've owned 200+ guns over the years and am now down to around 50. I will probably whittle that down to 25-30. I know people say you should never sell guns and you'll regret it if you do but, except for maybe a couple, I have no regrets. There are definitely ones that I have now that I won't sell, and will pass down to my nephews and nieces someday. I've taken the money from what I sold and bought the 76 Scout and 72 Jimmy that I (and my wife) really enjoy owning/using, more so than safes full of guns.
Well......I look at my dad and my uncle...both still alive in early 80's but couldn't shoot a gun if they tried because they are physically unable. Why keep a big collection that your gonna eventually not be able to use and will just have to dump. Or worse your wife/kids will dump.

Give the heirlooms to who you love...sell the rest that mean very little. There is no point to having a safe full of guns that you can't use. Some of them are very hard decisions to sell because they are unobtainium.....like the gaggle of Ruger O/U's I own in every gauge. Perfect condition for the most part. Tough to sell, but I have others I use more.

Well......I look at my dad and my uncle...both still alive in early 80's but couldn't shoot a gun if they tried because they are physically unable. Why keep a big collection that your gonna eventually not be able to use and will just have to dump. Or worse your wife/kids will dump.

Give the heirlooms to who you love...sell the rest that mean very little. There is no point to having a safe full of guns that you can't use. Some of them are very hard decisions to sell because they are unobtainium.....like the gaggle of Ruger O/U's I own in every gauge. Perfect condition for the most part. Tough to sell, but I have others I use more.

Yup, exactly. I had a pretty nice collection of Winchester 88s, some NIB, that I worked quite a while to accumulate. I did, and still do, think they were one of the nicest looking rifles ever made (most had shitty triggers though, like BLRs). A lot of machining/work went into making them. One day I just decided to sell all but one, and really don't miss them or have regrets about selling them, my interests just changed.

My 20 is my favorite....got that one for 75 bucks with a horribly shortened stock.

This, my friend, is a horribly shortened stock. The missus has an 11-1/2" LOP, and I'm installing a 1" Kick-Eez sissy pad on her 20 gauge. Sumbich looked so short I had to quadruple-check before I fired up the saw.

stock.jpg

Isn't this dang near a mare's leg?

Back
Top Bottom