Scope recommendations for .308

Rough estimate by stacking pennies
This is what I did.

Pick up a used Leupy MK4 3.5-10 with M1 turrets. Use badger or leupy MK4 rings and you’re set for life. All can be found on ARF.com exchange.

Thanks to help from here and bit of direction a decision and purchase has seemingly been made.

Yesterday I got out of work early. I drive by Bass Pro in Foxboro on my way home so I decided to check it out. Went over to the gun counter since that is where they store the scopes. It wasn't very busy. Three people ahead of me, two already being helped with a purchase and one waiting. No big deal I looked in the case for a few min. After a couple of minutes there was no movement. I decided to look around the gun area and then over to where they keep the spotting scopes. After about 10-15 min of wandering around I went back over to gun counter. Same two people being helped and same guy waiting in line. At this point I said f*** it and left. I wouldn't be surprised if I went there today and it was the same three people still there.

I came home a bit more confused with all the options I saw but not being able to touch. I'm at a kid's b-day party and I see I get a message here. Linking me to this... Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen 2 Rifle Scope 5-25x 50mm EBR-2C MRAD . After a few questions it got put into my cart and then ordered. It is not the most recent reticle but I feel it will be just fine for me. If it turns out to not work out I am not out a ton of money. About 1/2 of what I was willing to spend . So if it is a bust on this rifle I'll move it to another rifle and try something different. They claim it will be here the 21st but I'm hoping for sooner.

Thank you everyone for helping me along. I'm sure this wont be the last time.

Nice. Steiner makes decent scopes, and have a no BS lifetime warranty. Can’t go wrong there.

My .308 has a 1-8x on it, but I’m trying to decide if I should move that to my AR, and put a Burris 3-18x on the 308.

But of course, this is definitely “steel-clanger” mentality all the way.
The x ring is 3”, and at 300 yards , it’s a postage stamp to me . 😂😂😂😂 I kid.

Thanks to help from here and bit of direction a decision and purchase has seemingly been made.

Yesterday I got out of work early. I drive by Bass Pro in Foxboro on my way home so I decided to check it out. Went over to the gun counter since that is where they store the scopes. It wasn't very busy. Three people ahead of me, two already being helped with a purchase and one waiting. No big deal I looked in the case for a few min. After a couple of minutes there was no movement. I decided to look around the gun area and then over to where they keep the spotting scopes. After about 10-15 min of wandering around I went back over to gun counter. Same two people being helped and same guy waiting in line. At this point I said f*** it and left. I wouldn't be surprised if I went there today and it was the same three people still there.

I came home a bit more confused with all the options I saw but not being able to touch. I'm at a kid's b-day party and I see I get a message here. Linking me to this... Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen 2 Rifle Scope 5-25x 50mm EBR-2C MRAD . After a few questions it got put into my cart and then ordered. It is not the most recent reticle but I feel it will be just fine for me. If it turns out to not work out I am not out a ton of money. About 1/2 of what I was willing to spend . So if it is a bust on this rifle I'll move it to another rifle and try something different. They claim it will be here the 21st but I'm hoping for sooner.

U have tools and skill to install that scope on your rifle?best if you pay a gunsmith if you don't know how to do it.i wasted a lot of ammo learning how to install and zero scope on my rifles .

U have tools and skill to install that scope on your rifle?best if you pay a gunsmith if you don't know how to do it.i wasted a lot of ammo learning how to install and zero scope on my rifles .
Yes I should be just fine. I've done it before. Seems like a life time ago but I used to build some of the top race bikes in the area. Would like to go back to those days but pay and benefits sucked compared to what I do now. Will probably waste some ammo in the process either way :)

Bought that same scope last night. Killer deal.

Bass pro and cabelas are the same way. They don't even acknowledge you unless they're free. Even then they just wait until they feel like dealing with another customer. I was the first one in a Cabela's within 5 minutes of it opening. I was picking up a bolt action I had already paid for. I stood there for 10 minutes while two guys fiddled around behind the counter before one decided to even ask if I needed help. Big box gonna big box. I had to go there because they carried a specific bolt action at the best possible price I could find.

Bass pro and cabelas are the same way. They don't even acknowledge you unless they're free. Even then they just wait until they feel like dealing with another customer. I was the first one in a Cabela's within 5 minutes of it opening. I was picking up a bolt action I had already paid for. I stood there for 10 minutes while two guys fiddled around behind the counter before one decided to even ask if I needed help. Big box gonna big box. I had to go there because they carried a specific bolt action at the best possible price I could find.

Ya I don't expect much these days. I like going there because they generally have a better selection of accessories to fondle. None of my local guys have anywhere near the stock of optics in their case and I don't expect them to have one. My experience in either has been ok. Nothing like Friday. In the end it all worked out for the best. Now I have my gift cards lined up for something else.

Thanks for the heads up on the scope.

Here it is in all its glory. Mounting was pretty straight forward as I expected. The only hiccup was the scope rings. I purchased a set of Vortex precision matched rings. The rings are of good quality but I really don't know if they are any better then a cheaper set. The quality control was lacking. All the machining was done prior to anodizing. That is normal. What they didn't do was chase the threads after the fact. Then whatever tosses the bolts in just goes full steam. Needless to say they were all galled up. Luckily my neighbor is a machinist and had the proper thread chaser and die. We were able to fix that. For the price I am disappointed with that.

Now I just need to do the final torque of the ring bolts. My torque wrench doesn't go low enough but once again my neighbor has the tool needed. Then I need to zero it in. Tomorrow it is off to KAG arms to pick up some ammo for it and hopefully I can resist adopting another toy.

Attachments

• 20240524_172450.jpg
    20240524_172450.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Here it is in all its glory. Mounting was pretty straight forward as I expected. The only hiccup was the scope rings. I purchased a set of Vortex precision matched rings. The rings are of good quality but I really don't know if they are any better then a cheaper set. The quality control was lacking. All the machining was done prior to anodizing. That is normal. What they didn't do was chase the threads after the fact. Then whatever tosses the bolts in just goes full steam. Needless to say they were all galled up. Luckily my neighbor is a machinist and had the proper thread chaser and die. We were able to fix that. For the price I am disappointed with that.

Now I just need to do the final torque of the ring bolts. My torque wrench doesn't go low enough but once again my neighbor has the tool needed. Then I need to zero it in. Tomorrow it is off to KAG arms to pick up some ammo for it and hopefully I can resist adopting another toy.
looks good, there is nothing wrong at all with this scope, i have one of those too. 5-25x will let you see bullet holes up to 300yds, adn will let you aim at the same bullet hole at 100yds, if the rifle is good and shoots about 1/2moa - it will be well justified.

for a generic use on such a .308 rig as shown it would be better with a lighter 4-16x scope, or even 12x max scope, just to reduce weight and overall bulkiness - if you would use it in the woods or hunt with it . 25x magnification will not be needed there much.

pst2 vortex is a good glass with a lifetime warranty, and there is nothing bad to be said about that scope.

What’s everyone’s opinion on 20 moa scope bases?

I need a new one for my pst 5-25.

I’ll mostly be shooting 100-300 yards, but I do want to effectively hit 1000 yards.

So I don’t want to have to hold “under” at closer ranges just because I went with the 20.

same as always - use it where it is needed, do not use it where it is not needed.
:)

it is needed if your scope elevation will run out of adjustability range for the required distance. a very common thing for the .22lr, for an example.

same as always - use it where it is needed, do not use it where it is not needed.
:)

it is needed if your scope elevation will run out of adjustability range for the required distance. a very common thing for the .22lr, for an example.
I’d rather hold over for 1000 than not be able to “center dot” 100-300.

I need a new one for my pst 5-25.

I’ll mostly be shooting 100-300 yards, but I do want to effectively hit 1000 yards.

So I don’t want to have to hold “under” at closer ranges just because I went with the 20.

do you want a mount with 20 MOA or a rail/base?

What rifle?

M5 currently in .308. But going to re barrel it in 6.5 man bun.

It will be a Warne mount.

I can get either one (0 or 20) a good price
In 6.5CM I really doubt you'd need a 20 moa cant at 1000 yards. My 24" Bergara 6.5CM bolt action shooting Hornady 140 ELD M only needs 8.6 MILs of adjustment at 1000 yards. My Vortex PST 5-25 has 20 MILs of elevation adjustment. Assuming you set the zero stop and realistically get 15 mils then you could reach out to 1370 yards without holding over. The 20 MOA base will give you about 5 more MILs which would get my rifle to about 1600 yards. How often are you maxing out your rifle? If most of your shooting is 100 to 300 then a 20 MOA base doesn't seem like the right choice. With a 100 yard zero, 200 yards is pretty much center hold (it's 0.4 MIL which isn't worth dialing), 300 yards is a 1 mil, 400 is 2 mil, 500 is 3 mil, 600 is 4 mil and it goes on like this until 1000 yards which is a 8.6 mil adjustment. Adding a 20 MOA base would definitely complicate it a lot more than it has to. 1000007796.jpg

M5 currently in .308. But going to re barrel it in 6.5 man bun.

It will be a Warne mount.

I can get either one (0 or 20) a good price

Totally not necessary for 6.5 CM at 1k.

That said, it also doesn’t hurt unless you intend to use a clip on NV/thermal device.

I made it to the range today to try out this beast. I only went to the 30 yard pit since I didn't have much time and my goal was to get shots on paper and close to where I was aiming. That way when I have a bit more time I can zero it in at the 100yard range. Anyway I only put 10 down range. Makes a nice BIG boom in comparison to my 10-22 which I was warming up with.

I followed the instructions for zeroing which made little sense. My first shot didn't even hit the cardboard. After that I went back to what I knew and got better results. Although it is not that impressive here is my result. Last two shots are the ones touching. I was aiming for the upper left corner of the red square. Still have a ton of work to do but that is for another day.

Attachments

• 20240531_095310.jpg
    20240531_095310.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 6
I made it to the range today to try out this beast. I only went to the 30 yard pit since I didn't have much time and my goal was to get shots on paper and close to where I was aiming. That way when I have a bit more time I can zero it in at the 100yard range. Anyway I only put 10 down range. Makes a nice BIG boom in comparison to my 10-22 which I was warming up with.

I followed the instructions for zeroing which made little sense. My first shot didn't even hit the cardboard. After that I went back to what I knew and got better results. Although it is not that impressive here is my result. Last two shots are the ones touching. I was aiming for the upper left corner of the red square. Still have a ton of work to do but that is for another day.
Take an Appleseed event.

I don’t know your experience but at 30 yards they should be touching if your fundamentals are good.

Were you offhand? On a bench?

I'm pretty sure my fundamentals are not good. This is something I'm pretty much figuring out on my own at 45. I didn't grow up with guns and I've had zero formal training. Just advice some of which I've taken and some of which I have left behind. One thing I picked up yesterday and it's a trait I've had forever is to be light on the rifle. Maybe it's a natural thing but I've always been handsy and grippy on things. I would always remind myself while racing motorcycles to be light on the bars especially in corners. When you start really grabbing on you start to input bad forces in. It was a lesson I learned early with a nasty highside. Shooting seems to be similar.

This was the result of my first 10 shots with a new rifle and new scope. It was from a bench. My method was was to get my point of aim, take a shot, make an adjustment and repeat. Didn't do follow up shots except for the last when my point of aim and point of impact were not close. Also didn't finish because I didn't want to completely zero at 30yards and then have to re-zero at 100. I was satisfied with getting the shot into the inch box I was aiming for.
Take an Appleseed event.

I would love to. It is not the lack of desire or money but really the lack of time. My kid eats up a lot of my free time. What is the minimum age for that? Maybe I can get her to come along and we can both do it.

Nice, always a good day when you break in a new gun. At 30 yards you probably have parallax so that would explain the grouping. You'll want to take 3 to 5 string shots without breaking your cheek weld. Once you've confirmed the general grouping then adjust your zero then shoot another 3 to 5 round grouping.

Fundamentals are easier to work on with a platform with minimal recoil. A .308 rig will kick a bit, so you need to hold it firm, not in a death grip, but firm.
You press it into a shoulder, then if on a bipod with legs not sliding- slightly press rifle forward, take an aim and calmly press trigger, don’t jerk it and try not to flinch in anticipation of a recoil kick.
It all sounds easy enough, and only way to polish the execution is practice.

Back
Top Bottom