Scope recommendations for .308

To do it right, you need a rifle rest.
I have a lead sled and it's great.
I use a laser bore sight to make sure I'm on paper. Rachet strap Lead Slead to bench. Line up cross hairs on center and fire. Adjust cross hairs to where that bullet punched paper. Loosen straps and aim rifle at x ring. Crank straps and fire. Next round should hit same spot.
If you are using good ammo, should be shooting clover leafs

Look into either a set of Harris bipods or some kind of front rest bean bag.
You want to pull the gun into you but not so much that you’re shaking from exertion. Time behind the rifle is what you need, starting with the 22. Being on paper is a good start though.

I'm pretty sure my fundamentals are not good. This is something I'm pretty much figuring out on my own at 45. I didn't grow up with guns and I've had zero formal training. Just advice some of which I've taken and some of which I have left behind. One thing I picked up yesterday and it's a trait I've had forever is to be light on the rifle. Maybe it's a natural thing but I've always been handsy and grippy on things. I would always remind myself while racing motorcycles to be light on the bars especially in corners. When you start really grabbing on you start to input bad forces in. It was a lesson I learned early with a nasty highside. Shooting seems to be similar.

This was the result of my first 10 shots with a new rifle and new scope. It was from a bench. My method was was to get my point of aim, take a shot, make an adjustment and repeat. Didn't do follow up shots except for the last when my point of aim and point of impact were not close. Also didn't finish because I didn't want to completely zero at 30yards and then have to re-zero at 100. I was satisfied with getting the shot into the inch box I was aiming for.

I would love to. It is not the lack of desire or money but really the lack of time. My kid eats up a lot of my free time. What is the minimum age for that? Maybe I can get her to come along and we can both do it.

When you say from a bench, did you use a bipod, good rest, or just the hard foam or wood blocks that are at the range

When you say from a bench, did you use a bipod, good rest, or just the hard foam or wood blocks that are at the range
none of that talk here is helpful much, as most of this is in muscles memory and just in a skill itself. practice make everything perfect.
there are also some videos to watch, but, in a practical reality any no-recoil platform, like a .22lr bolt gun would be a good place to start, before moving to gas guns that add more elements to the picture.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-i3OkWRbU

I just mounted a new Razor Gen III. Sounds like we need a range day to zero in new scopes.
A long time "Un-zeroed Scopes Anonymous" could have massive participation levels. But user-names would be left unspoken. No shaming, no questions asked. Just that you help another who finds themselves with a safe queen, range-only, or plinker with an un-zeroed scope out.

[cheers]

Just mounted my vortex 5-25.

Damn the gun is now (more) stupid heavy vs the old scope. View attachment 885200

Ya that scope added a bunch of weight to my savage. I figure I am not going to be running around the woods with it playing army so I didn't care. I believe it helped with the recoil as well. My Henry in 44mag is worse then the savage in .308
I just mounted a new Razor Gen III. Sounds like we need a range day to zero in new scopes.

Depending on when I would certainly be interested in this. I just need to make sure my calander is free of my kid booking things for me to do. I also might be able to talk an interesting individual you may or may not have met to come along. He has a rifle or two he needs to test out. We are both members of Hopkinton if that makes any difference.

To address a few things in here before they get too far out of control.

Yes I am newish to this. This is why I ask questions. I was new to motorcycling once and I ended up at the expert level. I asked tons of questions. Got a lot of help, feedback and criticism. I don't expect to be a super sniper but I would like the feedback and constructive criticism.

I don't have a lot of the nicer gear some of you have. Some day maybe I will but right now I don't. For this particular day I knew I was not going for my final zero. My goal was to get close enough so when I had time to go to the longer range I wouldn't be just tossing lead down range. What I did was10 shots. It was 9 shots and adjustment after. The 10th was the one touching the 9th and I was satisfied with that for the day. Went on to other toys.

I shot from a bench that was provided at my club and used the rubber rest that was there. The intent was just to take away any movement that I would input into the gun.

This is not my first rifle. I didn't wake up one day and decide I needed a gas operated gun in .308. I do have a few others including a few .22 rifles. One is a mossberg 44, one is a Henry youth which I bought for my kid, and two are semi auto, one of which is scoped and I feel I do pretty good with it. This is my first big boy rifle with a scope on it. I chose this gun because I wanted a bolt action gun and I am left handed. No I can not learn to shoot right handed. I am also left eye dominate and have better vision in it.

Most of you are probably better at this than I am and I'm sure have a lot more experience. I am here to learn.

Ya that scope added a bunch of weight to my savage. I figure I am not going to be running around the woods with it playing army so I didn't care. I believe it helped with the recoil as well. My Henry in 44mag is worse then the savage in .308

Depending on when I would certainly be interested in this. I just need to make sure my calander is free of my kid booking things for me to do. I also might be able to talk an interesting individual you may or may not have met to come along. He has a rifle or two he needs to test out. We are both members of Hopkinton if that makes any difference.

To address a few things in here before they get too far out of control.

Yes I am newish to this. This is why I ask questions. I was new to motorcycling once and I ended up at the expert level. I asked tons of questions. Got a lot of help, feedback and criticism. I don't expect to be a super sniper but I would like the feedback and constructive criticism.

I don't have a lot of the nicer gear some of you have. Some day maybe I will but right now I don't. For this particular day I knew I was not going for my final zero. My goal was to get close enough so when I had time to go to the longer range I wouldn't be just tossing lead down range. What I did was10 shots. It was 9 shots and adjustment after. The 10th was the one touching the 9th and I was satisfied with that for the day. Went on to other toys.

I shot from a bench that was provided at my club and used the rubber rest that was there. The intent was just to take away any movement that I would input into the gun.

This is not my first rifle. I didn't wake up one day and decide I needed a gas operated gun in .308. I do have a few others including a few .22 rifles. One is a mossberg 44, one is a Henry youth which I bought for my kid, and two are semi auto, one of which is scoped and I feel I do pretty good with it. This is my first big boy rifle with a scope on it. I chose this gun because I wanted a bolt action gun and I am left handed. No I can not learn to shoot right handed. I am also left eye dominate and have better vision in it.

Most of you are probably better at this than I am and I'm sure have a lot more experience. I am here to learn.

If this comes to a range/zero day. We will totally help you. No shame.

We all were new once.

NES people are nicer in person… (because we are all armed) lol.

Vortex Viper.

There’s a few iterations and different magnification ranges, but out to 200 yds.
3-15 should be good. You may find 2-10 lacking and 5-25 in the same price range will come with more drawbacks. You didn’t list a price range but this typically $900-$1000 which is a sweet spot for bang for buck scopes.

The Viper HST line drops you to the $600 range and they’re still great scopes.
With a transferrable lifetime warranty to boot.

Back
Top Bottom