Canoe trip 2-3 days in NH. Any suggestions.

nightpoison

NES Member
I'm looking to do a 2-3 day canoe trip with my son. I want a lazy river, mild as my son is only 6. I'm looking for at least one overnight maybe two. If you know of any spots to safely park and get a ride upstream all the better.

I would want to go starting mid July through mid August as it should be hot enough outside jumping in the river will be refreshing.

Any suggestions on where to start my search?

I have a canoe and gear, just need a route and a means of getting upstream. The route should avoid having to portage the canoe.

just float down the saco.
easy access, slow, plenty of camping.
or look around pillsbury state forest in NH, quiet area. lotsa places you can drop in , maybe not for a 2 day trip, but for the day and then go back and camp at pillsbury.
drop in the nemasket river in MA. thats a real easy ride, you can go from middleboro i think all the way down to mattapoisett.
theres not many places you are going to be able to go 2 or three days without needing to portage due to a dam or other man made change to the waterway, or face rapids.
maybe if you put a drag bag on your canoe it will slow you down enough.

Last edited:
Moose River bow trip, Maine. 1 night if you really push it, 2-3 if you're more relaxed.

Machias river, maine

West Branch of Penobscot River to the start of Chesuncook lake, also Maine.

All primitive camping, bring your own everything.

Back
Top Bottom