Affordable Red Dot

The ACOG is a rifle optic. I thought we were doing pistol optics since the op mentioned iron sights.

I’m lost…

Well, rifles have iron sights too. So I’m not sure why that would make the thread about pistol optics. I do believe the OP is talking about pistol optics, however. But to answer your question, the reference to the ACOG was mentioned as an analogy to show that combat optics may not be the best choice for a non-combat application. The ACOG wasn’t suggested for the OPs use case.

Sure, I’ll say that the holosun 507c would be a better option for a range toy. Here are my reasons:

Less tint
Less distortion
Greater variety of reticle options built in
Less expensive

To me, those are pretty big advantages over the RMR for a range toy

I’ve looked through a lot of holosuns.

I legitimately have few complaints.

But! I prefer a simple dot vs a ring + Dot.

Even my rifle optics are simple dots.

I hate all these options that end up confusing people.

I can work a holdover.

I can work a holdover.

Honestly, a lot of it is personal preference too and the RMR may be the best choice for you even if I think the Holosun looks better to my eyes.

Frankly, I absolutely hate red dots on pistols lol. I absolutely will not use them. Well, it’s fun to shoot a friends range toy or something like that. But I’m just not good with them and don’t have the time or money to get good enough where I’m better than I am with iron sights on a pistol. So I’m not even sure if I’m the best to answer the OPs question. I have shot Holosuns, Romeo’s, and an RMR. So I guess that experience counts even if they’re not for me.

Well, rifles have iron sights too. So I’m not sure why that would make the thread about pistol optics. I do believe the OP is talking about pistol optics, however. But to answer your question, the reference to the ACOG was mentioned as an analogy to show that combat optics may not be the best choice for a non-combat application. The ACOG wasn’t suggested for the OPs use case.
I think this is a pistol sight/red dot thread.

So an ACOG is not relevant

You have totally lost me with the above… lol.

😂

I’m not sure why we are taking about an ACOG?

Personally I’ll slap an Elcan Spector on my gun.

Honestly, a lot of it is personal preference too and the RMR may be the best choice for you even if I think the Holosun looks better to my eyes.

Frankly, I absolutely hate red dots on pistols lol. I absolutely will not use them. Well, it’s fun to shoot a friends range toy or something like that. But I’m just not good with them and don’t have the time or money to get good enough where I’m better than I am with iron sights on a pistol. So I’m not even sure if I’m the best to answer the OPs question. I have shot Holosuns, Romeo’s, and an RMR. So I guess that experience counts even if they’re not for me.
For me, it depends on the use.

I shoot competitively

Dots help.

My carry gun just has irons.

Op is looking for an affordable pistol red dot.

You seem to hate them. So I’m thinking you need to talk him out of one.

I’m just trying to offer him a solid option

As you can see, prices are all over. Are you a skin flint? If not, buy the best you can afford. There's nothing worse than buying something twice.

As you can see, prices are all over. Are you a skin flint? If not, buy the best you can afford. There's nothing worse than buying something twice.
This is nes. Most people here have a bunch of ruger 9mm’s.

The flint here is strong

Take a look at Swampfox - I have 2 versions (RMR size & small smith footprint) both work very well.

I don't have a lot of experience with red dot optics but I have a primary arms red dot on my Ruger PCC and put a Swampfox Sentinel on my recently purchased Glock 43x MOS. I love the Swampfox so far.

I don’t think the OP has clarified if they are looking for a rifle or pistol red dot.
I took this to mean a pistol:
As I have gotten older iron sights just don't cut it anymore. Some Red Dots are more than the price of the firearm you put it on. I do not carry for a living. I am just a range shooter. I understand you get what you pay for but does anyone have any experience with some of the more inexpensive Red Dots that will suffice for the ranger?
I have had some good use with an inexpressive Burris FastFire II.

Ruger MK I suppressed RDS edit.png

I can work a holdover.

Holosun lets you choose on most of them.

Honestly the only thing that's confusing on Optics is the 38 stupid mounting patterns for handgun red dots.... that fagottry is off the scales absurd. Although at least some vendors are now making guns that take rmrs out of the box or some vendors like holosun abd others making direct mount dots where no stupid mounting plate is required.

Look in the classifieds and save a good bit of money.
Trijicon RMR are the “American Made” gold standard,
Holosun is the “cHInA” gold standard.

Both are solid brands.
He asked for affordable lol

Primary arms, holosun or sig Romeo if he wants affordable

Like other people have echoed, 2/3 less than an RMR and much better usage and glass. I hate my RMR on my G19.

Holosun lets you choose on most of them.

Honestly the only thing that's confusing on Optics is the 38 stupid mounting patterns for handgun red dots.... that fagottry is off the scales absurd. Although at least some vendors are now making guns that take rmrs out of the box or some vendors like holosun abd others making direct mount dots where no stupid mounting plate is required.
There's 4 lol

Rmr and delta

Large and small

Op figure out what size you want first

Large or small...3moa any cheap familiar names will be fine

Crimson trace...romeo 0... burris

Why don't you carry a gun though op

Honestly, I wouldn’t go with an RMR for a pistol red dot on a range gun.

Holosuns are arguably just as durable (they just don’t have as much track record), they don’t have as much notch filter/blue tint, and you can replace the battery without removing the optic.

If I were looking to spend Trijicon money on a range pistol, I’d be looking at the SRO rather than the RMR.
Agreed. For a range toy an SRO is far better. The larger window helps keep the dot in the window. But I wouldn’t call either the RMR or SRO affordable.

Last edited:
He asked for affordable lol

Primary arms, holosun or sig Romeo if he wants affordable

Like other people have echoed, 2/3 less than an RMR and much better usage and glass. I hate my RMR on my G19.
Which is why I said to look in the classifieds.

I just bought a RMR HMS for $300 that was basically brand new on Friday.
I’ve also been able to get two other RM06’s in excellent condition for $250.

Deals are out there if you look and are patient.

As I have gotten older iron sights just don't cut it anymore. Some Red Dots are more than the price of the firearm you put it on. I do not carry for a living. I am just a range shooter. I understand you get what you pay for but does anyone have any experience with some of the more inexpensive Red Dots that will suffice for the ranger?
Define affordable.
Define your intended use.

I know proper communication is a challenge with gun owners, but letting people know what you want to do will narrow it down.

Otherwise you will get people mentioning every damn red dot in the market based on what they like or assume you might like.

Last edited:

I can work a holdover.
16 or 10 MOA is the way to go.

You tried mine, you know you like it.

F*ck the 2 MOA Dots. NES can barely hit a paper target 20 yards away, you motherf*ckers are not sniping sh*t with your poor handgun skills.

16 or 10 MOA for the win.

"But Broc, if 16 MOA is so good, why aren't there more companies offering them?" ... great question. Because the market is retarded, so that is what they cater to.

Back
Top Bottom