• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zip tied boxes

I've searched for awhile and got nowhere. Would plastic zip ties qualify as a lock to store ammo. I'd like to use some small toolboxes. They have small holes to run a padlock through. Would the zip tie serve the letter of the law? I have a tendency to lose random keys and combos over time and these boxes may sit around quite awhile untouched. The zip ties would secure the boxes until cut off. Legal????

would you lock your car or house with a plastic zip tie?

Yea, but you aren't forced by law to lock your car or house. People do so voluntarily to protect valuables, but they won't see jail time/fines if they leave their car unlocked.

Normally in the case of locking ammo, it's the question of "what is the minimum amount of effort to become legal in the eyes of a bullshit law"

Yea, but you aren't forced by law to lock your car or house. People do so voluntarily to protect valuables, but they won't see jail time/fines if they leave their car unlocked.

Normally in the case of locking ammo, it's the question of "what is the minimum amount of effort to become legal in the eyes of a bullshit law"

i agree but using a zip tie in my opinion is pure laziness and wastefull you can probably buy a tiny ass lock for cheaper than a pack of zip ties

Go to Lowes/Home Depot and get some cheapo locks and two key rings. Put all of the keys on a ring, create a duplicate ring in case the original gets lost. You might even get a pack of locks that use the same key.

Or, check at the local police station, and see if they have any of the free gun locks.

You can also get keyed-alike locks.

Why would you want a gun lock?? What is it with the residents of this state and gun locks. Good god. He's talking about locking up ammo.

I think I found the minimum. My ammo locks didn't cost much more than zip ties. I'm in legal compliance and if I get in a bind I can cut the lock off with a pair of pliars.

$10 for 10 locks shipped to my door. Perfect.

Amazon.com: 10- Premium Small Mini Padlocks Luggage Locks: Office Products

To all you gun lock lovers. Remember, they don't help for transporting in a car. If the gun needs to be locked at all, it needs to be in a locked container.
General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 131C

Seriously. I threw away all my gun locks when I was about 22.

Don

Last edited:
Sorry MH. You are certainly right. But they might be a bit too secure. I prefer my ammo locks to only meet the minimum requirement. Then if I screw up they are easy to get off.

I'm just a bit touchy about MA people and their gun locks. I've never seen so many people with locks on their guns. Its just so . . . pathetic. And its not even required by law. Well, if you aren't smart enough to buy a safe, it is. But again you should have outgrown using gun locks at home by age 22. And when you are out of the house, there is absolutely no reason to have a gun lock on any gun. . . ever.

Don

Back
Top Bottom