• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zinke Lifts Ban on Lead Bullets on Fed Land

Elections have consequences. ***
Hours after literally riding into town on a horse for his first day on the job, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke on Thursday scrapped an Obama-era ban on hunting with lead bullets on federal lands.

The rule, put into place during the final days of the Obama administration, was cast as an attempt to prevent the lead poisoning of animals on all lands overseen by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

But critics — including sportsmen’s groups, gun rights organizations and a host of others at the federal and state levels — said it was designed to discourage hunting. Mr. Zinke seemed to agree, signaling that he believed the rule hindered hunting and fishing for many Americans.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/2/interior-secretary-zinke-scraps-ban-lead-bullets/

I like how this argument goes back and forth. Can't use lead bullets to hunt. So then you coat them and they become armor piercing bullets according to the ATF. Remember that whole nightmare? Obama was right out in front of this. So then it would be hunters are using armor piecing bullets on federal lands. No lead bullets or coated bullets. So it would result in a push to ban those too-effectively ending hunting on federal lands. Good call on this.

I used to spend a lot of time hunting in "condor territory" in CA. Lead was banned a long time back, I don't even remember how far back, 15+ years I would guess (too lazy to look it up). All the hog hunting we did was with Barnes all copper bullets. Back then most people I knew that used them hated them, one little hole in and out with very little blood trail. I had good success with them but I heard a lot of bad stories. That said I would still rather a lead core, copper jacketed bonded bullet over a solid copper bullet. I"m glad this one was reversed.

Back
Top Bottom