ZINC and other non LEAD wheel weights

mac1911

NES Member
I have been sorting my buckets of wheel weights.

My non lead bucket is getting full. Anyone have a use for these ?
possible trade for something?

Also my soft stick on LEAD wheel weight collection is growing I may not ever use all of it. Anyone willing to trade soft lead stick ons for Lead clip ons ?

The skimmings from Wheelweights generally don't result in much of value. Not sure about Zinc, but steel is practically worthless. Copper/brass on the other hand is different, but we just normally skim the dross after melting the lead (careful not to overheat too much). It's much easier then actually trying to sort out WW beforehand IMO

With WW, the dross is normally tossed.

I just throw them into the towns metal bin. Not much in them mixed and I dont have time to sort them. As for the soft lead look around for any real muzzleloaders. THey are always looking for soft lead. I have had good luck trading for WW metal with several over the last few years. Now I hoard all of it as they are starting to get away from lead flashing and that was my main source of soft lead.

Marcus- this is just the sortings before smelting, seperate the lead clip ons (for home made shot) lead stick ons ( casting slugs) all others in another bucket.

Duke: if it aint TONS of steel, brass, copper and aluminum there isnt anyone with in a resonable drive who wants to deal in small buckets of scrap. Heck I find it hard to peg the junk yards for a price on Wheel Weights to purchase. Heck they even the few small recycle places dont even really want spent brass cases......everyones claim "aint much brass in those case no more".

Heck even the couple of guys I know that cast fishing weights dont want the zinc ???? Heck makes strong sinkers.

Marcus- this is just the sortings before smelting, seperate the lead clip ons (for home made shot) lead stick ons ( casting slugs) all others in another bucket.

Duke: if it aint TONS of steel, brass, copper and aluminum there isnt anyone with in a resonable drive who wants to deal in small buckets of scrap. Heck I find it hard to peg the junk yards for a price on Wheel Weights to purchase. Heck they even the few small recycle places dont even really want spent brass cases......everyones claim "aint much brass in those case no more".

Heck even the couple of guys I know that cast fishing weights dont want the zinc ???? Heck makes strong sinkers.

Zinc will ruin your bullets. The slightest amount mixed in a bullet alloy will cause an incredible amount of leading. Zinc contamination is the reason I stopped making my own casting alloy.

Zinc will ruin your bullets. The slightest amount mixed in a bullet alloy will cause an incredible amount of leading. Zinc contamination is the reason I stopped making my own casting alloy.

What were you using to melt it? A standard 15psi gas burner with a cast iron pot is gradual enough to give plenty of time before Zinc melts to skim them out of your mix.

Back
Top Bottom