• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zf-41, take# I don't remember.

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
OK, mini saga of my life. For my birthday in June I got an original Zf-41 scope from France. Not in the best of shape, but seemed decent enough at an affordable price. Unfortunately, what was not shown in the pictures was the problem. The bezel set screw was missing and the front bezel would not sit against the front of the scope to expose the bezel screw hole.

Back to France...very cooperative and helpful seller.

Came back today. The guts look nothing like the reproduction scope (upside down) that broke back in June; had me a little worried. Had to finesse a buggered screw on the mount, and that took some time.

Got it outside in the back yard where the shadows had started to fall. Optics are about 85%, a little hazy and spotted. Surprisingly the laser bore sight was a close match. Started adjusting the scope, when the batteries on laser died. OK, my office is still a shambles as the new floor hasn't been installed yet (that's another saga) so it took 30 minutes to find the batteries that came with the scope. Turns out they were not the same size as the ones in the scope - they were about 1/2 the size. WTH? Ok, it's a battery, so I put 6 in the scope when it originally took 3, but believe it or not, it worked.

Went back outside and spent another 20 minutes getting the laser and the scope aligned. Put the bezel back on, and by chance looked through the scope to find it was now misaligned with the laser.

Insert expletive here.

Took the bezel off and spent another 20 minutes getting the sight picture realigned, and this time it stayed in place. Took 10 minutes to get the little set screw back in place. The original scope diameter is a lot smaller than the reproduction (2.2 vs. 2.7cm), so the rain cover does not fit. I'll have to try to find one.

I really, really hope this thing works first time out - hopefully tomorrow.

t

Attachments

• IMG_3218.jpg
    IMG_3218.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
What type of K98 and mount is that?
The German scopes seem to sit very far forward. How well does the eye relief work.

im not to sure but I think the eye relief was a a complaint. Along with only being 1.5x I look at a scope lie this and think of it lie early scopes on the M16

This is a 'designated marksman' Zf-41, 1.5 power scope. Not a true sniper. This is a long relief scope. There are several types of true K98 snipers; top turret, long side rail, and short side rail, all usually 4X power scopes.

The que45 K43 Zf-4 is a true sniper with a 4 power scope. All K43s were equipped with a side rail for a scope, but not all got scopes. Those marked on the stock ZF K 43 were approved for sniper use. The K43 was the most successful German 'answer' to the Garand; a 10 round semi-automatic. Truth be told, it was really not a great platform for a sniper. But I like it![smile]

t

Attachments

• IMG_3223.jpg
    IMG_3223.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3224.jpg
    IMG_3224.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3226.jpg
    IMG_3226.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
This is a 'designated marksman' Zf-41, 1.5 power scope. Not a true sniper. This is a long relief scope. There are several types of true K98 snipers; top turret, long side rail, and short side rail, all usually 4X power scopes.

The que45 K43 Zf-4 is a true sniper with a 4 power scope. All K43s were equipped with a side rail for a scope, but not all got scopes. Those marked on the stock ZF 4 K43 were approved for sniper use. The K43 was the most successful German 'answer' to the Garand; a 10 round semi-automatic. Truth be told, it was really not a great platform for a sniper. Nut I like it![smile]

t

the solid chin weld on that thing must have been great for ccuracy![rolleyes]

I think we can call it a success. First 5 were left, but the elevation was right on. Took another 10 rounds to nip the black. 5 more to settle, then hit with the rest.

79F, sunny, humid, light breeze. 30 rounds '53 Yugo.

T[smile]

Attachments

• IMG_3227.jpg
    IMG_3227.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Nice...
I just recieved the RIA mini catalog and there is a BCD 98k long slide in there...along with many other nice things. The NFA page is still wet from drool..... WTF!

Don't think I'll ever be able to afford a 'proper' K98 sniper. I now have a functional Zf-41, albeit a RC, and a very good K43.

t

im not to sure but I think the eye relief was a a complaint. Along with only being 1.5x I look at a scope lie this and think of it lie early scopes on the M16

All it was meant to do was make small targets stand out better for the above average shooter. There are a several stories of Germans, without heavy support, knocking out T-34s by killing the drivers of T34s by shooting them through their brick sized view port. The Russian tanks did not have periscopes.

t

That's going to be a cute scope when it grows up.

That's actually a pretty good joke!

[laugh]

t

A war time pic.

Also pics of top turret, long side rail, and short side rail.

Attachments

• zielfernrohr073001.jpeg
    zielfernrohr073001.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4996.jpeg
    IMG_4996.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg