• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zeroing distance for a Glock 30 45.cal 230g with RDO

this graph makes no sense - is it zeroed at 2yds? a 25yds there is a second zero, it is not how it`s done. make a graph with a 15yds to be first zero and see how the curve will go.
red dot sight will be 1"-1.5" above the barrel.

There is always a near and far zero .
Also dependent on target size tou can figure out your point blank range
3-7 yards will cover alot of cals for a good zero. From 0-100 yards aiming at a full torso size target.

It does make sense. Remember that the bullet crosses the line of sight twice. "Point blank range" is maximum range that the bullet will stay within a certain size target without holding over or under. Jack.
It sure does, but curve is odd.
I posted a link showing curves for 5,7,etc zeros. A 5yds curve has a second zero at a 100.

Zero it at whatever the distance of your shooting range. You shoot at a club and the indoor range is 50 feet? Zero at 50 feet. Practice...
Then take it outside and shoot at steel at 100 yards. Pay close attention to your "hold" after you walk the rounds in at 100 yards.
Shoot some at 7 yards. Pay attention to your hold.

I don't care for red dots on handguns, but recognize their value. I'm an iron sight guy. With any of my Sigs or wheel guns, I can consistently ring steel at 100 yards in two or three shots, because I know where I need to hold ( approximately ). With a carry gun, I don't want anything that can fail or that I have to remember. I know it all about training, but I'm not going to carry a pistol with a red dot. Competition shooting is another story.

I have optics on my AR's, but make sure they co-witness with my irons. When I went through Parris Island we didn't have ACOG's on our rifles. o_O and we still qualified at 500 yards.
OP are you going to carry a Glock 30 with a RMR mounted on it? Or when you say self defense, do you mean bedside gun? If you are not going to carry it, I prefer a laser. My nightstand gun is a 226 in .40 with a laser light combo. I figure if I have to defend myself in the middle of the night, in my home, it is likely I will be disoriented, and adrenaline will be flowing and heart pounding. And I will be engaging at pretty close range. No more than 30 feet max.
I don't need pinpoint accuracy at 50 yards. I just need COM hits. Put the laser dot on what you want it to hit. You don't have to worry about sighting. You could shoot under your arm, looking in a mirror, or laying in bed without a proper stance or sight picture.
If you plan on carrying it, all power to you. Lots of people carry a pistol with a RMR mounted. Carry what works for you.

1633473618488.png

I don't know. An RMR on a G30?

Kinda takes away the compactness...

1633476491705.png

On a G21? Maybe...

I guess zero for arms-length.

Will that work ? Apogee is like the orbit of the moon at its furthest point , right?
Bah, I was mostly misreading the situation on that (perfectly normal) graph.
It utterly glosses over the vertical distance from bore center to the front sight (if the gun's got irons).
But pretending that I've still got a point...

Assume with some loss of generality that the optical axis at the plane of the muzzle
(whether it's front/rear sight alignment,
or a red dot image,
or the projection of a scope's reticle center,
or the beam of a target laser
)
is displaced some fraction of an inch above the center of the bore.

Then I'll claim I meant you adjust the elevation angle of the optical axis
so that it just kisses the bullet's flight path at max height.
That's a single point, so there's only a single range where the optics are zeroed.
At all other ranges, you have to hold high.

I'm not saying this is necessarily useful at all.
I'm just saying it's true.

If it strikes you as supremely useless, well; pardon my geometric logic...
queeg-trump.jpeg

...and thank you for your consideration.

Bah, I was mostly misreading the situation on that (perfectly normal) graph.
It utterly glosses over the vertical distance from bore center to the front sight (if the gun's got irons).
But pretending that I've still got a point...

Assume with some loss of generality that the optical axis at the plane of the muzzle
(whether it's front/rear sight alignment,
or a red dot image,
or the projection of a scope's reticle center,
or the beam of a target laser
)
is displaced some fraction of an inch above the center of the bore.

Then I'll claim I meant you adjust the elevation angle of the optical axis
so that it just kisses the bullet's flight path at max height.
That's a single point, so there's only a single range where the optics are zeroed.
At all other ranges, you have to hold high.

I'm not saying this is necessarily useful at all.
I'm just saying it's true.

If it strikes you as supremely useless, well; pardon my geometric logic...
queeg-trump.jpeg

...and thank you for your consideration.
Ok now you went all fancy and science talk!
im out , lol.
I will revert to my “out”
“Shut up and shoot”

its all fun…

Most instructors will tell you to zero your pistol optic at 15 yards. I use 15 yards. Every red dot class I have taken I was told to zero at 15 yards. Most people that haven't had any formal training can't hit the broad side of a super wal-mart with a handgun at 25yds nvm zeroing an optic. I'd try 10yds, then maybe bump out to 15yds, then have someone that can actually shoot try it to verify your zero.

Last edited:
God help me if I try and foist a Holiday Inn Express-quality explanation
on some NESer with a sekrit doctorate in external ballistics.
I couldn't take the comedown.
I think he was just pointing out the difference between apex and apogee...
But you're right, it's possible to have a one- or two-point zero. I think the graph in question uses two crossings, just there's ~1/2" height over bore, so the first is at like 2 yards.

But you're right, it's possible to have a one- or two-point zero. I think the graph in question uses two crossings, just there's ~1/2" height over bore, so the first is at like 2 yards.
Nah , just a few words I remember from science class and that was one of them. Its a funny word.

Im looking for info to help me find the best distance to zero my Glock 30

Use: personal defense
Pistol: Glock 30
Round: 45 Caliber 230 g PMC FMJ
Sight: Trijicon RMR w/3.5 MOA red dot

I hope to learn something new so don't hold back
-TheWip
you can do what my dad did to us. My dad would not allow allow us to adjust our sights until we started shooting actual groups. Of course he had the sights adjusted enough to be "on paper"
I like a 3" aiming point out to about 50' I will take 2-3 shots at each aim point. Once they start grouping i will adjust .
My dad also made us do sight box drills. Not fun but they did help.
Then the fun part, dont change ammo
My "target" 1911 will toss 185gn SWC aprox 3" left of 230 loads.

The real problem is finding a 25 yd tape measure. Jack.
Get a 25 meter tape measure,
and trim off all that "metric" crap.

Well, that went over my head...

Some people should start at that distance anyhow...

Wait, wait; is this some kind of distinction between
the trajectory while standing on a planet's surface
versus riding an accelerating elevator in deep space?
header-9.jpg
Apex == peak of an arc
Apogee == furthest point in a celestial orbit.
But also, apogee=apex as a second or third definition...so everyone is right, and language is hard?

The Pistol Mounted Optic Instructor class I took at Sig Academy recommended 15 Yards for Zero.
For 147g 9mm, the near and far distances are 15 Yards and 35 Yards
For 124g 9mm its 15 Yards and 50 Yards.
I didn't write down in my notes the far distance for .45, but they did recommend 15 yards zero as well.

Plus Its much easier to get a small group shooting off a rest at 15 yards then 25 yards.

It also may be useful to note that each click on an RMR equals 1/8 inch at 15 yards according to my notes from the class.

Back
Top Bottom