• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zero Hour turns in pipe bomb builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Telling on someone who is just wrong and possibly dangerous is not a Rat.That's someone in Jr. High that spills the beans about a spit ball incident.Being an adult trying to keep his neighborhood safe is a concerned citizen.Good for him, he showed some intelligence that seems to be lacking in this hooray for me,cell phone Zombie society.

I would like to say that Martlet has logic in his responce,but I can't.Anyone who believes that making pipe bombs has any legit reason is flawed.There is no doubt in my mind that some kind of payback was in his mind.

Okay, for the sake of this question, let's take that making pipe bombs is wrong argument off the table. What I want to know is did Jim do the right thing in your mind?

Also by payback - who do you mean? Jim? Mike? Elaborate.

Telling on someone who is just wrong and possibly dangerous is not a Rat.That's someone in Jr. High that spills the beans about a spit ball incident.Being an adult trying to keep his neighborhood safe is a concerned citizen.Good for him, he showed some intelligence that seems to be lacking in this hooray for me,cell phone Zombie society.

You didn't answer my question.

I once had a tagline that read:

This thread started on stupid and went downhill from there.

I wish I still had it.

[popcorn]

I once had a tagline that read:

This thread started on stupid and went downhill from there.

I wish I still had it.

[popcorn]

I can see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure I agree...A decision has led, (directly or indirectly) to the ruin of a mans life. I just have this feeling there's more to the story. I also am interested on how people view individual freedom and the law.

Personally, I do not agree with the law that bans pipebombs and/or fireworks. IMO, laws don't stop the bad guys from doing evil things anyways, and as far I know we are not besiged by an epidemic of pipebombings. I wonder why that is?

In fact, lots of people like to blow things up for fun. Heck I even heard of some crazy folks that like to shoot innocent pumpkins [wink]

Last edited:
Just popping in please, You have no use for anyone's opinion other than your's.

Another insult. You're on a roll.

I guess if your argument is indefensible, just hurl insults.

Rather than get the thread locked, I'll ignore you until you can get your thoughts together.

Jim felt ok with him driving his 6 year old around drunk, buying firearms and ammo, giving the guy money, but not owning a pipe bomb?

Where's the disconnect?

Maybe he finally saw enough?

Personally, I would have turned him in for driving drunk with his kid in the car.

Bottomline, the guy who got turned in is a douchebag and deserved to be turned in for at least one of those things.

Maybe he finally saw enough?

Personally, I would have turned him in for driving drunk with his kid in the car.

Bottomline, the guy who got turned in is a douchebag and deserved to be turned in for at least one of those things.

Maybe he got upset that he wouldn't meet his price?

Who knows. I certainly don't. I just find it odd that any of those other things didn't warrant a call to the cops, but this did. After the deal fell through, no less.

So please - informal poll:

- Did Jim do the right thing?

- Did he have alternatives?

- Do you think he had an ulterior motive, (i.e. ATV sale gone bad)?

- Would you have done the same exact thing?

- Could you have explored any other remedies short of calling an LEO?

- Was Mike a threat to society?

Last edited:
So please - informal poll:

- Did Jim do the right thing? Yep

- Did he have alternatives? Sure

- Do you think he had an ulterior motive, (i.e. ATV sale gone bad)? Nope

- Would you have done the same exact thing? Yep

- Could you have explored any other remedies short of calling an LEO? Sure

- Was Mike a threat to society?
Yep

Maybe he got upset that he wouldn't meet his price?

Who knows. I certainly don't. I just find it odd that any of those other things didn't warrant a call to the cops, but this did. After the deal fell through, no less.

Now you're just dreaming stuff up. Did you see Madmarc0's post in this thread?

Martlett, I don't understand why you are coming down so hard on something you obviously know nothing about in this instance. Jim was very torn about doing what he did but was kind of forced into it by an officer when he asked his advice on what the officer would do in a similar situation.
This guy (ambrose) was acustomer of the shop and we actually kinda liked him, BUT, when he started to act irratiaticly and then the last straw was when he came in the shop drunk and was dragging his 6 year old daughter!

You've insulted other people throughout this thread by belittling their opinions and using strawman arguements to analogize pipe bombs to guns. It's a weak tactic.

And before you think it, I haven't given you any negative rep points but I can see why others have.

I have read this thread and responded from the beginning and have seen some just busting ball's.Now 28 hour's later the same are still busting them.

Last edited:
Now you're just dreaming stuff up. Did you see Madmarc0's post in this thread?

Sure. I certainly didn't dream it up, though. That's what Ambrose claims, among other things. As much as I think Madmarc is a great guy, he's biased and only knows what Jim told him. He wasn't there either.

You've insulted other people throughout this thread by belittling their opinions and using strawman arguements to analogize pipe bombs to guns. It's a weak tactic.

And before you think it, I haven't given you any negative rep points but I can see why others have.

Give me an example.

Sure. I certainly didn't dream it up, though. That's what Ambrose claims, among other things. As much as I think Madmarc is a great guy, he's biased and only knows what Jim told him. He wasn't there either.

I didn't see that in the originally linked article and what Madmarc said contradicts that. Since he actually talked to Jim and you are showing your own bias, I'm going with what Marc said.

Give me an example.

easy peasy

So if I loaned you my car and you found an unsecured shotgun shell under the seat, you'd turn me in? Good to know.

And with that, I'm untracking.

Martlet, you are one tenacious, articulate, self confident, argumentative, confrontational, well informed, obstinate, aggravating S.O.B.

I like that in a person, even if I disagree with them.

You say what you think and have consistently defended your position in this thread, and several others that I've noticed lately. You make good points and use logic to prove them.

Good job at that. I'd rather debate with an intelligent informed person, than some one who has no intellect or spine. While we don't see things the same way, I do admire your effort.

Last edited:
Let's see - what other actions short of dropping a dime could Jim have taken:

1. Talked directly to Mike about his behavior with his child and concerns over his alcohol and subsequent bomb use.
  2. Talked directly to Mikes wife about his concern for their safety and her husbands use of alcohol and explosives
  3. Sought out Mikes friends and relatives and hopefully persuade them to intervene

What Jim chose to do was play protectorate of the masses and inform the police on someone whom he at the very least had a casual friendship with. If Jim feels he's saved the lives of the innocent by his actions then I guess he'll have to live with the fact that he didn't quite save the life of Mike Ambrose. For all intents and purposes - his life is ruined - it's over Johnny. Business = gone. Reputation = gone. Freedom = gone. Wife = ? Family = ?

You can bet your bottom dollar that the DA will have a field day with this and the press? Forget about it. "Another whacked out gun owner in Massachusetts". Think this won't have repercussions for all of us? Wake the hell up - it's one more nail in our collective coffins. Mike Ambrose screwed up - no question, but now he's all done - over. Would the alternatives have given fruit? Maybe - maybe not. One thing is for sure however - we will never ever know, because Jim Sheppard didn't take a breath and take the time to think about any...

For what it's worth, I don't hold Jim in the same regard as another infamous FFL. In all likelihood, Jim is a great guy who made some poor choices. Unfortunately, we're not talking about new Glocks or mailorder ammo - we're talking about a guy who just had his entire life turned upside down and will likely be doing serious time....For what?

Great argument. You've changed my mind. (I'm not being sarcastic).

Anyone who believes that making pipe bombs has any legit reason is flawed.

You are wrong. This statement is factually incorrect. "Because I like the sound" is a legit reason (at least it was for me in the distant past). Like many here, I experimented with chemistry with absolutely no malice in my heart. None.

Your "legit reason" argument is exactly the same as Bill Ruger's "No honest man needs more than a 10 round magazine" statement. It is exactly the friggin same and I dare you to argue that it's not.

Being an adult trying to keep his neighborhood safe is a concerned citizen.Good for him, he showed some intelligence that seems to be lacking in this hooray for me,cell phone Zombie society.

Do me a favor and stay out of my neighborhood. You think you know better than me? I've had "concerned citizens" call the police on me because they saw me spraying brake cleaner though a 1911 slide on a picnic table in back of my house. We'd all be better off without "concerned citizens". Just for the record, the person that dropped a dime on me was as sure as you are that they were doing the right thing.

Boy Martlet are you here to bust ball's or you have blinder's on.

No offense RHJJ, but Martlet will debate you into the ground. If you want to play, bring your "A" game. The above quote is a "D-".

I didn't see that in the originally linked article and what Madmarc said contradicts that. Since he actually talked to Jim and you are showing your own bias, I'm going with what Marc said.

Then maybe you should do a little looking on your own. Or would you rather we link every article written about this so you can have it all here? Or, barring all that, you could have bothered to read the entire thread, thus seeing it discussed.

easy peasy

And with that, I'm untracking.

Try again. That was in direct response to a post that tried to establish that he was correct to turn him in if for no other reason than the behavior was illegal. In that context, my statement wasn't a straw man at all. If you don't understand the comparison, let me know what you specifically have trouble with. I'll try to expand upon it. Otherwise, you can't really take my argument out of the context of the discussion and make it something it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom