• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zastava er, I mean Century Arms RIP OFF PAP - a failure of a rant - Balderdash!

So about two years ago, I purchased the nifty Zastava PAP imported by EAA (European American Amory). Even though it had a single stack mag and that useless dust cover rail, the idea of a sporter model built on a rugged and proven Zastava receiver was kinda a neat selling point. So I went ahead with the purchase.

$420 out of pocket after transfer.

Now, bare with me here. Here is everything I have done to it and currently doing to it. The point of this will be revealed at the end.

- Modified the magwell to accept double stack mags and M70 bolt - $140
- Added Tapco G2 FCG - $35
- Added UTG stock adapter and stock and Tapco saw grip - $51
-At this moment, it is at my gunsmith getting the FSB moved back to the gas tube like an AK-103k, the barrel cut down, threaded and a JTAC47 muzzle brake added on to a length of 16.25" - $135
- Ultimak railed gas tube and Primary Arms micro red dot - $170

Brings us to a grand total of $951 (with cost of rifle included).

Now, this is why I listed out what I did. Recently, I had been confused as to why I had not been able to find any Zastava PAPs for sale. I was then informed that Century Arms is now the importer of Zastava PAPs, which have been renamed to Century Arms PAP.

You know how much these monkey's are selling this 380 dollar rifle for?? Between $700 and 800 bucks! I mean, I ****ing love this rifle. It is a work horse but 800 bucks for those monkey's to put their filthy hands on such a rifle?! give me a break! Talk about taking advantage of consumers. The cheapest conversion I found was on jgsales for 620 bucks (660 after transfer).

I am glad I picked one up before this disgusting mark up by Century Monkeys. I am glad I have stayed away from CAI.

Rant end. Probably an over reaction but whatever. lol.

Last edited:
So about two years ago, I purchased the nifty Zastava PAP imported by EAA (European American Amory). Even though it had a single stack mag and that useless dust cover rail, the idea of a sporter model built on a rugged and proven Zastava receiver was kinda a neat selling point. So I went ahead with the purchase.

$420 out of pocket after transfer.

Now, bare with me here. Here is everything I have done to it and currently doing to it. The point of this will be revealed at the end.

- Modified the magwell to accept double stack mags and M70 bolt - $140
- Added Tapco G2 FCG - $35
- Added UTG stock adapter and stock and Tapco saw grip - $51
-At this moment, it is at my gunsmith getting the FSB moved back to the gas tube like an AK-103k, the barrel cut down, threaded and a JTAC47 muzzle brake added on to a length of 16.25" - $135
- Ultimak railed gas tube and Primary Arms micro red dot - $170

Brings us to a grand total of $951 (with cost of rifle included).

Now, this is why I listed out what I did. Recently, I had been confused as to why I had not been able to find any Zastava PAPs for sale. I was then informed that Century Arms is now the importer of Zastava PAPs, which have been renamed to Century Arms PAP.

You know how much these monkey's are selling this 380 dollar rifle for?? Between $700 and 800 bucks! I mean, I ****ing love this rifle. It is a work horse but 800 bucks for those monkey's to put their filthy hands on such a rifle?! give me a break! Talk about taking advantage of consumers. The cheapest conversion I found was on jgsales for 620 bucks (660 after transfer).

I am glad I picked one up before this disgusting mark up by Century Monkeys. I am glad I have stayed away from CAI.

Rant end. Probably an over reaction but whatever. lol.

[rolleyes]

See MisterHappy's post.

It's wrong to set the price on your own merchandise.

Prices should be determined by disinterested third parties, to ensure fairness.

Yep ^ Mister[STRIKE=Sarcasm]Sarcasm[/STRIKE]Happy got it in one.

If something is too expensive people will not buy it, if they buy it, then apparently it's not too expensive.

obama should do something.

i also don't approve of how i paid $3.92/gallon for gas this morning.

obama should definitely do something.

obama should do something.

i also don't approve of how i paid $3.92/gallon for gas this morning.

obama should definitely do something.

While he can't, obviously wouldn't get involved in lowering prices on firearms, the gas thing is definitely in his power to do something about, and I suspect he will pull that rabbit out of the hat come election time. All he has to do is open up the reserves again, and voila! Market price drops back down again.

After reading this entire rant, I hit the link Rancho provided and find out it's JAFAK? (Just Another Fu(king AK?)

All this angst over yet another AK variant? WHOGAS? Aren't they freakin' everywhere?

I'm not sure the point of the OP... do you want like a high five, bro? You took a gun and upgraded it. Sweet, wish I was as cool. (No, seriously, I have little mechanical knowledge outside of being able to rebuild my 10/22 trigger group without reference.)

If these guys priced their shit at one price, and are selling at it, then they obviously have a good price. IF they were intelligent (BIG IF), they would track their sales since they started selling the gun for a few factors such as velocity, drop off or lack of, and then periodically (monthly?) adjust price up or down to maximize number of units sold per month vs. what they have on hand or access to.

That would be democratic pricing.

So the OP is bitching about Century Arms pricing points by comparing it to his relatively lower priced handiwork, and all of you limp dicked faggots pile on him like a pack of bleeding a**h***s?

NES never ceases to amaze me.

1) Century converted PAPs are converted with a ****ing grinding wheel and a ****ing dremel.
2) Century converted PAPs are rarely paired with the correct m70 bolt.

Hmm... it appears that the OP has a legitimate griping point. I give him a D- on presentation but a B+ on legitimacy. The rest of you guys.... [rolleyes] so gay.

rant_image.JPG

So the OP is bitching about Century Arms pricing points by comparing it to his relatively lower priced handiwork, and all of you limp dicked faggots pile on him like a pack of bleeding a**h***s?

1) Century converted PAPs are converted with a ****ing grinding wheel and a ****ing dremel.

Hmm... it appears that the OP has a legitimate griping point. I give him a D- on presentation but a B+ on legitimacy. The rest of you guys.... [rolleyes] so gay.

DADT was repealed. let us have our moment.

I guess that's one perspective. Here's another:

OP bought an AK variant, put a buttload of money into it, and is now bitching because someone else is selling the rifle for what he assumes is too much money.

As I understand the process, only the market can determine if Century is charging too much for the rifle. Not the OP. And further, the market will determine if the asking price is too much.

If people are buying the rifle, with no one holding another rifle to their head to make them, how exactly is it over-priced?

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING: Personally, unless someone actually gives you a couple of bucks to take it, I think all AK's are overpriced, but that's just me.

ouch the King Cobra is deadly inexpensive beer...
I was just teasing too, a good ol' ball busting happens once in a while hell I got mine a few weeks back, my nutz are finally recovered.

So for around $650 you can get a double-stack Yugo made AK which hasn't been available in the US for a couple decades, and Century is the bad guy for doing this? Yes, lets all hate on Century for bringing back all of these previously unavailable firearms for reasonable prices, thus helping to keep pricing down on all similar firearms. What a tragedy.... I guess no one should buy those K-Var converted Saiga's since they cost a few hundred bucks more than the sporter versions too huh?

So for around $650 you can get a double-stack Yugo made AK which hasn't been available in the US for a couple decades, and Century is the bad guy for doing this? Yes, lets all hate on Century for bringing back all of these previously unavailable firearms for reasonable prices, thus helping to keep pricing down on all similar firearms. What a tragedy.... I guess no one should buy those K-Var converted Saiga's since they cost a few hundred bucks more than the sporter versions too huh?

Century Arms didn't bring any previously unavailable firearms at a reasonable price. They bought out practically every rifle EAA imported and marked up the price, about $150 bucks; as EAA was setting the price at 380 bucks for the sporter while CAI is selling them at about 550 bucks or so. I found that to be bullshit.

I guess that's one perspective. Here's another:

OP bought an AK variant, put a buttload of money into it, and is now bitching because someone else is selling the rifle for what he assumes is too much money.

As I understand the process, only the market can determine if Century is charging too much for the rifle. Not the OP. And further, the market will determine if the asking price is too much.

If people are buying the rifle, with no one holding another rifle to their head to make them, how exactly is it over-priced?

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING: Personally, unless someone actually gives you a couple of bucks to take it, I think all AK's are overpriced, but that's just me.

No, I am bitching at the fact that for 750 bucks, you get a rifle with a crappy gunsmith job and generic ak furniture when I spent a little bit more on specialized gunsmith work with numerous additions and modifications. I got my $$$ worth with what I spent. Someone who buys this crap CAI job does not get their money's worth.

Did all you guys jump down the throats of all the others who were complaining about the mark ups Saiga made to their products? Because I remember an uproar on many sites about Saigas supposedly being 250 dollar shotguns being sold for inflated prices and anyone who bought S12 for 800 bucks was a dipshit.

Last edited:

I find this post to be far more rantworthy than the OP.
You get the Kenny Powers Award.

No, I am bitching at the fact that for 750 bucks, you get a rifle with a crappy gunsmith job and generic ak furniture when I spent a little bit more on specialized gunsmith work with numerous additions and modifications. I got my $$$ worth with what I spent. Someone who buys this crap CAI job does not get their money's worth.

If that's the case, then I'm guessing no one will buy CAI's rifles at that price, or if they do, they made the conscious decision that it was an OK price to them, and isn't that how this whole free-market thing works?

I still can't figure out the bitching part. Are you bitching because you got a (comparatively) great deal? Wouldn't that be "gloating" and not bitching? Are you bitching because people charge more money that something is worth? If so, I'd like to introduce you to pretty-much everyone on GunBroker. Are you bitching because people pay too much for something? Doesn't that happen all the time with all kinds of stuff?

Back
Top Bottom