• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yugo SKS

45collector

NES Member
Here's a picture I took of the gas valve and piston in my new-to-me Yugo SKS. They can't possibly be the original parts, can they? I got the gun from a distributor, and although there's hardly a sign of cosmoline, the gun was pretty filthy with old grease, grime and powder residue (The trigger group being the most caked). I thought it odd to find 2 brand new stainless parts in a 40something year old milsurp bought from a distributor. I had already ordered a replacement valve, looks like I won't need it!

Also, although the takedown instructions on "surplusrifles.com" do not show the front stock retainer (pinned to the barrel) having to be removed to separate the action from the stock, my centerfire rifle takedown book does.
I drifted out the cross pin, PB blasted, and heated it up a little and it still wouldn't budge. If I can't get it to move, do I have to remove the recoil lug assembly to get the action off the stock? If so, F that. I'll leave it together.

sks003.jpg

Sorry mods, my SKS-related threads keep getting moved!! I thought this one fell under "firearms"

Last edited:
The valve looks new but the piston looks original. Lots of these rifles were built with new parts in Yugoslavia before they were put away.

As for the stock and action, you don't have to take anything out/off except for what the surplus rifle site tells you to with the exception of the cleaning rod and having the bayonet extended.

I think what you are refering to is the stock ferule. Is it the small cupped metal piece that the front of the stock slides into? If so that stays put.

Sometimes what happens when an SKS has been soaking in cosmolene for a while is that it turns almost like contact cement where the receiver lays against the stock.

You may have to take a thin block of wood or large metal punch and push it out by giving it a few taps where the back of the receiver is in the area where this arrow is pointing to.

14.jpg

Easiest way to do that is after everything is off the rifle, lay it across your lap upside down with the butt of the rifle over one of your legs so you can tap the receiver out.

Awesome. You are a wealth of knowledge.

Also, do I put an "X" for large capacity on the FA-10? It's not originally configured as large capacity, but capable of accepting such mags.

^ I answered my own question. no, not hi cap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom