Yugo SKS grenade launcher question

I picked up a Yugo 59/66 at the Big E today (yes, I could have got it for half the price 3 or 4 years ago, but there it was, and there I was ... [crying]).

So now I'm looking at this wacky grenate launcher thing, and there's a gas shut-off valve. It looks like an inverted "L" with three positions. From what I can gather the center position is "gas off". Depress the button and slide right and you're in "Semi-Auto" mode. Slide down and your in "Grenade Launch" mode.

Here's a photo from surplusrifle.com:

8.jpg

What I'm finding is that the button does not slide down to the grenade mode.

Might this feature have been disabled to prevent the actual use of the grenade launcher? I haven't read of this and, if so, I'll be mightily disappointed.

I picked up a Yugo 59/66 at the Big E today (yes, I could have got it for half the price 3 or 4 years ago, but there it was, and there I was ... [crying]).

So now I'm looking at this wacky grenate launcher thing, and there's a gas shut-off valve. It looks like an inverted "L" with three positions. From what I can gather the center position is "gas off". Depress the button and slide right and you're in "Semi-Auto" mode. Slide down and your in "Grenade Launch" mode.

Here's a photo from surplusrifle.com:

8.jpg

What I'm finding is that the button does not slide down to the grenade mode.

Might this feature have been disabled to prevent the actual use of the grenade launcher? I haven't read of this and, if so, I'll be mightily disappointed.

Switching it to the middle position shuts off the valve and allows the grenade sights to be raised and making it single shot for launching grenades. The button is basically just a lever for the oppening in the valve. the hole you see below the left position is for disassembly.

Switching it to the left shuts off the valve and allows the grenade sights to be raised and making it single shot for launching grenades. The button is basically just a lever for the oppening in the valve. the hole you see below the left position is for disassembly.

Ah ha! Thanks!

...and make sure that when you are shooting, the button "clicks" into place in the semi-auto notch. My Yugo wouldn't cycle when I first got it, was driving me nuts until I figured out that the button had overtraveled the notch and was too far over to the right. Nudged it back a hair, click, and cycled fine.

Hey, any grenades made for that setup would be preban, right?

Nice, group buy!!

oh, wait...

I think you might need a ... special license fer them grenades. Prolly NFA hardware. But, WTSHTF, who knows what will come out of the closet?

I had a friend and coworker from Iran, years ago, who talked about the situation in that country pre-revolution. They had gun control. No one had a weapon of any kind, except a few heavily regulated fudds with wall-hanger damascus barrel side-by-sides. But then, when the revolution hit, AK-47s came out of every wall and hidey-hole ...

Of course, now they probably have ... gun control again.

Meet the new boss ...

Back
Top Bottom