• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yugo M57 Problems.

Hi All,

I've had a Yugo M57 for a couple of years now, and it's always had some problems. But in the past year or so I've noticed one that's really perplexing me. When I go to the range and shoot, occasionally the slide will not return all the way and I have to lightly tap on it to have the pistol return to battery. I've taken it apart and can't see anything that looks strange, and if I manually work the action it never seems to exhibit this problem. I've replaced the M57 spring assembly with a TT-33 assembly and a new spring which seemed to help for awhile, but I then the problem came back after a couple of range trips. I've switched back to the M57 assembly. On the last trip out shooting surplus ammo, there seemed to be a slight delay between when the gun fired and the action cycled, it was very odd.

I've put Surplus, S&B, PPU and some RAS ammo through the pistol. The only ammo that hasn't exhibited the issue so far is RAS, but I only put through a single magazine to try it out. I think it's safe to assume that if I shot more of it it would show this issue.

Thanks,

If you run surplus ammo you need to clean the barrel right after shooting as most of it is corrosive. I had a similar issue and after cleaning and lubing the chamber it was fine

I've been running both commercial and surplus. I've seen the problem with both types of ammo. What do you mean by lubing the chamber? I clean it after each range trip, I run hot water through the barrel and then use CLP or ballistol and *knock on wood* no signs of rust yet.

You do not lube the chamber or barrel bore....a quick patch of clip to prevent rust yes, but by all standard practice you should run dry patches down your chamber and bore before shooting.
That said. I have 3 toks. My yugo had some issues much like yours.
I ended up ditching the horrible safety and have it a really good cleaning in warm water with a good dose of dish detergent.....I thought I did a good job of cleaning it but found some more cosmo in the nooks and crannies. Since then I have had zero issues. Put 1k rounds of polish surplus through it with no cleaning for a few months(not recommended) there was only a hint of rust on the very end of the barrel muzzle. The safety they add to these guns for import is horrible. My other tok with the slide mounted safety was even more problems and really butchered in there.
It's a stought action although with out knowing its history it might need a new spring.

I'll give it another deep cleaning. I assume you are talking about the frame style safety it came with? I haven't noticed it causing any issues with mine, but I'll remove it and take it to the range without it in there. I've tried a new spring and I didn't see any appreciable difference. I wish I could take apart the spring assembly and put the Wolff spring on that instead of switching out for TT33 parts though.

You do not lube the chamber or barrel bore....a quick patch of clip to prevent rust yes, but by all standard practice you should run dry patches down your chamber and bore before shooting.
That said. I have 3 toks. My yugo had some issues much like yours.
I ended up ditching the horrible safety and have it a really good cleaning in warm water with a good dose of dish detergent.....I thought I did a good job of cleaning it but found some more cosmo in the nooks and crannies. Since then I have had zero issues. Put 1k rounds of polish surplus through it with no cleaning for a few months(not recommended) there was only a hint of rust on the very end of the barrel muzzle. The safety they add to these guns for import is horrible. My other tok with the slide mounted safety was even more problems and really butchered in there.
It's a stought action although with out knowing its history it might need a new spring.
I meant the lube that is done after a good cleaning. I always run a wet with lube patch then a couple dry ones to get rid of everything except a protective film. Sorry for the confusion. If you run surplus and dont clean it right away the chamber will get crappy in short order, at least this is what I have experienced on the 3 toks I have.

I run a wet lube patch thru the chamber/bore then pull a dry boresnake through to finish

I meant the lube that is done after a good cleaning. I always run a wet with lube patch then a couple dry ones to get rid of everything except a protective film. Sorry for the confusion. If you run surplus and dont clean it right away the chamber will get crappy in short order, at least this is what I have experienced on the 3 toks I have.

Yes the corrosive surplus will eventually rust anything the residue contacts.....some worse than others.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the corrosive surplus will eventually rust anything the residue contacts.....some worse than others.

I run the snake through when Leaving for the range.

Well, after a deep cleaning and removing the add in safety I was able to go through about 5 magazines of Bulgarian surplus without issue. Is there a relatively easy way to fill in the hole and refinish the area where the grip safety was?

Well, after a deep cleaning and removing the add in safety I was able to go through about 5 magazines of Bulgarian surplus without issue. Is there a relatively easy way to fill in the hole and refinish the area where the grip safety was?

It sounds like you are CURED ! Great News !

If you are not, I'd do some intensive Internet Searches if I were you, and locate an expert gunsmith that is very familiar with this weapon.

Back when I planned to buy an SKS I found some.

There is one guy who does wonders on the Bolt - about $85.

Misfires are eliminated (so they say). Sadly, some claim the weapon then loses it's C&R status.

More good news - rifles are cheap and easy to ship via the USPS.

I was poking around and found no decent solution that didn't involve refinishing. I was looking for some sort of plug just to fill the hole? I gave up and just forgot about the hole.

I was poking around and found no decent solution that didn't involve refinishing. I was looking for some sort of plug just to fill the hole? I gave up and just forgot about the hole.

Without a doubt the best solution.

I'd try to fix it, do a half-ass job (that no one else would ever notice but me), that would still bug me, and I'd end up hating it.

That said, colored WAX is sold for this. You can mix the wax, cool it down, mix it the exact right color, then warm it, place it in the hole. Don't like the result ? Hair dryer. Begin again. This is a centuries old fix that is valued BECAUSE it is reversible.

usually [rofl]

Last edited:
I'll probably try to fix it some time in the future. I think I want to get a few more successful range trips behind me before I go to crazy though.

I don't have any pics handy of how I did away with the add-on safety on my Romanian TTC, but basically I filed down the internal area of the safety where it meets the trigger, and ground off the the lever part so it was flat and flush with the receiver. I put a much stronger spring and sharper plunger in the safety assembly to ensure that it won't move around in the receiver. Then I just cold-blued the bare metal nub where the safety lever was and it looks fine. The gun has given me ZERO troubles since I did that mod. Before, the safety would jump on and off during firing.

Your gun will be a bit different since your safety is in a 1911-like location, and mine was just behind the trigger. I have never taken down an M57 though, and I'm not sure how the safety interacts with the hammer/ sear areas. Would the M57 still have the same features as an original TT33 (like the TTC does) when the safety is removed/ disabled? (as in the half cock position locks the slide and keeps the hammer away from the FP)

Many of the problems you all are having will track back to the relief cut on the inside of the left grip panel. I have picked up two M57's from frustrated owners and fixed a few more. I should keep this to myself.

DSCF0041_zps20csdo8l.jpg

I had found two with the firing pin holes in the slide filled with so much hard grease the gun would not shoot. I had to use wire bristle pipe cleaners to really remove the gunk.

I would not mind adding a fourth M57

IMG_20141019_121549941_zpsedb7e376.jpg

I've had about 10 of the M57's. Never had a problem with any of them. First thing to do is complete disassembly (beyond field strip, it's easy enough). De-gunk everything 100% (I soak & rinse in mineral spirits). Only problems I've ever had were mag related, easily confirmed with mag swaps. Clean that bad boy, it's full of goop if you don't. One of my favorite guns.

I sold my CZ52 shortly after buying my Romy TTC. The Tokarev design is the nicest shooting 7.62x25 of any of them. (not many of them of course.)

Back
Top Bottom