• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yugo M48A screw loose

or missing to be exact. It's one of those two locking screws on the underside of the rifle. The one that is missing is on the floor plate. I still have the one by the trigger guard.

So, my Qs are:

1) Seems to me that as long as I make sure that the main screw is well secured, I don't need to worry too much about replacing the missing screw. Is this a good/safe assumption?

2) If I did want to replace it, where would be a good place to find such a screw?

I tried to tighten it when I put it back together but the stupid thing just kept going around and around.

Thanks

Is it the small locking screw thats missing or the larger main screw that secures the rifle?
From your description I'm guessing the capture/locking screw is missing. They call them capture screws I think because the Russian capture rifles never have them. You can find them from just about any site that sells surplus rifle parts, or try E Bay.
If you don't have them its no big deal. They just allow the main screws to not be tightened too much and keep them from backing out.

Milsurps 4 Me, thanks for the reply. It is the locking screw that I am missing, not the main screw. That one fell out pretty quickly, so I think I'll order a few just in case.

Since we're on the subject of Yuogs. I remember seeing about a site that had a list of bayonets/scabbards that people had that came with their rifles, but whose numbers didn't match. It was a place for people to try and find the correct ones for their rifle. The bayonet/scabbard that came with my yugo don't match the numbers on the rifle. Would you by any chance know of that site. It used to be on Parrallax Bill's site, but then they moved off to another forum and I can't find them anymore.

Only number matching site I ever saw was on the Parallax forums. There is a Swiss rifle collector page that may be doing the same. I think they link off Bill's site.
On your M48, don't overtighten the main screws, that will throw off accuracy. Usually snugging them down is enough, but bring a take down tool or flat blade screwdriver to the range with you just in case and check them every now and then.
You may have to re-tap the threads where the capture screw goes. If the screw was damaged though, a new one should be fine. If I find a link for a cheap set I'll PM you with it.

Only number matching site I ever saw was on the Parallax forums. There is a Swiss rifle collector page that may be doing the same. I think they link off Bill's site.
On your M48, don't overtighten the main screws, that will throw off accuracy. Usually snugging them down is enough, but bring a take down tool or flat blade screwdriver to the range with you just in case and check them every now and then.
You may have to re-tap the threads where the capture screw goes. If the screw was damaged though, a new one should be fine. If I find a link for a cheap set I'll PM you with it.

Thanks a lot Milsrups 4 Me, I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom