Youth Hunter with Intellectual Disabilities

The following is a copy of a thread from a Down Syndrome related website that my wife is active on. As you may know, we have a 7yo daughter with Down Syndrome so this is close to home for me. I think it is really cool!! And good for Mom too!

Mother from Michigan said:
My son Nick was asked to go on a Safari Club international Wish Hunt. So we said Sure! Nick likes the outdoors and loves to hunt with his dad. Last fall he shot a 11 point buck, now he is going out of state to shoot an Elk. So he needed a hunter's safety class in order to hunt out of state. So I went with him, we both passed. Nick had a hard time with the test and failed the first time. The instructors acted some of the questions out and he got them right. They were a bit concerned for the safety and ability to comprehend but we assured them that he would only hunt with his parents. It was an awesome experience to do with my son!
My Wife said:
That is sooooo cool! Congratulations to Nick! I was wondering how old he is and at what age did he start to learn how to handle a gun properly?

My husband is into target-shooting and he hopes that one day when Katie is MUCH older that she might be interested in learning to target shoot.

Deane
Mother from Michigan said:
Last Spring he was nominated, just shy of turning 17. He turned seventeen last year in April and began target practicing on an air rifle then my husband moved him up to larger guns. We planned to have him use a lesser powered deer rifle then the stock was too long so we bought him a youth gun. It is a break action rifle. He did so well but we always watched the gun safety rules with him. He never learned to load a gun until we did the Hunter's safety class that ended today. We do plan on keeping locks on all the guns and Ammo away. He just turned 18 in April.
He did pretty good at the hunters safety class. It was actually pretty hard. I learned a lot and really enjoyed it (it was so cold today on Range day-45 degrees with a wind chill around 30 degrees). We shot rifles in the indoor shooting range, did archery, a nature walk demonstrating hunting with three people, shot shot guns then the muzzleloader. The muzzleloader was pretty cool but I didn't like it as much-many steps, major kickback! Nick and I were naturals at archery!

It's kind of funny that the thread ended there. I'm pretty sure the other Moms on the board don't approve, but don't want to come down on the mom. My wife is something of a leader on this board, so it makes me wonder how others perceptions of her changed over this.

BTW: "Way Older" is my wife talking! Not me, but it will be a while before she'll really be ready for it.

FYI:

from: http://www.safariclubfoundation.org/content/index.cfm?action=view&content_id=360&Content_Menu_ID=238

SafariWish™

SCI Foundation’s SafariWish Project is part of its SafariCare program, which has been designed to grant hunting and hunting-related wishes to individuals with life-threatening illnesses. Since 1992, SCI members and chapters have raised funds to grant these wishes, sometimes sponsoring several SafariWishes at the same time. Hunts may be local, due to the severity of an illness or they may take place in distant locations, such as Africa or Australia, when a doctor or caregiver can accompany the individual on the hunt.

In 2007, SCI chapters provided SafariWish hunts for 44 children and disabled individuals. Some also provided financial support for the program. Since 1992, SCI members and chapters have raised funds to grant these wishes, sometimes collaborating to sponsor several SafariWishes at the same time.

I'm pretty sure Nick doesn't fit the "life-threatening illnesses" category, so it seems they've extended this a bit.

I have been trying to start a non-profit which would help get people with disabilities out into the enviroment. I think this is great stuff, but feel that no one who should have to wait in line to get out in the great outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom